Re: [NTO] folders to left side of explorer windows

  • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 27 8:36 AM
      Axel Berger wrote:
      > "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" wrote:
      >> When I use a save as dialog, open dialog our use windows
      >> explorer, there are usually several folders to the left that are
      >> essentially shortcuts.
      >> 1. how did we do it (this would be off topic)

      > N.B: The official "legal" ways to do things are so often hideously
      > hidden and impossible to remember how to get at, that directly editing
      > the source often is the easiest way to do things.
      >
      > Axel

      The wizard(s) who solved this last time I think had us open something
      from the command line ... I just don't remember. It was not easy, but
      it worked! I'll dig into the registry and see what I can find there.
    • dpasseng
      Message 2 of 8 , May 19, 2009
        --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" <don@...> wrote:

        > Axel Berger wrote:
        > > "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" wrote:
        > >> When I use a save as dialog, open dialog our use windows
        > >> explorer, there are usually several folders to the left that are
        > >> essentially shortcuts.
        > >> 1. how did we do it (this would be off topic)
        >
        > > N.B: The official "legal" ways to do things are so often hideously
        > > hidden and impossible to remember how to get at, that directly editing
        > > the source often is the easiest way to do things.
        > >
        > > Axel
        >
        > The wizard(s) who solved this last time I think had us open something
        > from the command line ... I just don't remember. It was not easy, but
        > it worked! I'll dig into the registry and see what I can find there.

        Trying to figure this out again. Sherri had the answer last time ... how do I get a folder to the left side of the windows explorer window?
      • Greg Chapman
        Message 3 of 8 , May 20, 2009
          Hi Don,

          On 20 May 09 06:42 "dpasseng" <don@...> said:
          > how do I get a folder to the left side of the windows explorer
          > window?

          Unless you've customised things in some way, click the FOLDERS button
          on the toolbar. (But that's so obvious I must be misunderstanding the
          question!)

          Greg
        • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
          Message 4 of 8 , May 20, 2009
            I probably asked wrong causing your puzzlement :-).

            While when in office applications I can click tools/add to my places.

            When saving a file in notetab, there is a set of folders to the left ...
            but no way I see to change which folders are in there. I know there is
            a way ... but I don't remember how.

            I am on XP

            Greg Chapman wrote:
            > Hi Don,
            >
            > On 20 May 09 06:42 "dpasseng" <don@...> said:
            >> how do I get a folder to the left side of the windows explorer
            >> window?
            >
            > Unless you've customised things in some way, click the FOLDERS button
            > on the toolbar. (But that's so obvious I must be misunderstanding the
            > question!)
            >
            > Greg

          • John Zeman
            Message 5 of 8 , May 20, 2009
              --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" <don@...> wrote:

              > When saving a file in notetab, there is a set of folders to the left ...
              > but no way I see to change which folders are in there.

              For XP, Google TweakUI.

              john
            • Greg Chapman
              Message 6 of 8 , May 20, 2009
                Hi Don,

                On 20 May 09 12:32 "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" <don@...> said:
                > When saving a file in notetab, there is a set of folders to the left
                > ... but no way I see to change which folders are in there. I know
                > there is a way ... but I don't remember how.
                >
                > I am on XP

                I also am on XP. I have Microsoft's free utility "TweakUI" installed.
                That has a facility, under the "Common Dialogs" branch that allows
                editing of the Places Bar. I've never used it but I believe it will
                do what you want.

                Greg
              • LaurieK
                Message 7 of 8 , May 20, 2009
                  Don,

                  Its funny because I just ran into this 2 days ago. I saw this on a demo of
                  something and was like WHAT??? Because I never knew there was a way to
                  customize it.

                  What Don is talking about (if I can help to explain. maybe).

                  1. Working on a file you click Files > Save As

                  2. Dialog box comes up and on the left you see My documents, My
                  Computer and a few other 'shortcuts'

                  3. How does one customize this to add your own 'special'
                  location(s)???

                  Thanks for asking Don, I can't WAIT for a fix J