Re: [NTO] folders to left side of explorer windows

    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 27, 2007
      "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" wrote:
      > When I use a save as dialog, open dialog our use windows
      > explorer, there are usually several folders to the left that are
      > essentially shortcuts.
      > 1. how did we do it (this would be off topic)

      I didn't see the question the first time round and this feature is
      Windows eXPerimental only, as far as I know, and I use W98SE. That said
      I'd open regedit and do a find for the currently present folder with the
      least common / least used name. That ought to find the place, where
      they're defined and you can just write or delete other ones.

      I don't see a way to do this in clips, but a .REG file might make it
      easy in the future.

      N.B: The official "legal" ways to do things are so often hideously
      hidden and impossible to remember how to get at, that directly editing
      the source often is the easiest way to do things.

      Axel
    • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 27, 2007
        Axel Berger wrote:
        > "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" wrote:
        >> When I use a save as dialog, open dialog our use windows
        >> explorer, there are usually several folders to the left that are
        >> essentially shortcuts.
        >> 1. how did we do it (this would be off topic)

        > N.B: The official "legal" ways to do things are so often hideously
        > hidden and impossible to remember how to get at, that directly editing
        > the source often is the easiest way to do things.
        >
        > Axel

        The wizard(s) who solved this last time I think had us open something
        from the command line ... I just don't remember. It was not easy, but
        it worked! I'll dig into the registry and see what I can find there.
      • dpasseng
        Message 3 of 8 , May 19, 2009
          --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" <don@...> wrote:

          > Axel Berger wrote:
          > > "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" wrote:
          > >> When I use a save as dialog, open dialog our use windows
          > >> explorer, there are usually several folders to the left that are
          > >> essentially shortcuts.
          > >> 1. how did we do it (this would be off topic)
          >
          > > N.B: The official "legal" ways to do things are so often hideously
          > > hidden and impossible to remember how to get at, that directly editing
          > > the source often is the easiest way to do things.
          > >
          > > Axel
          >
          > The wizard(s) who solved this last time I think had us open something
          > from the command line ... I just don't remember. It was not easy, but
          > it worked! I'll dig into the registry and see what I can find there.

          Trying to figure this out again. Sherri had the answer last time ... how do I get a folder to the left side of the windows explorer window?
        • Greg Chapman
          Message 4 of 8 , May 20, 2009
            Hi Don,

            On 20 May 09 06:42 "dpasseng" <don@...> said:
            > how do I get a folder to the left side of the windows explorer
            > window?

            Unless you've customised things in some way, click the FOLDERS button
            on the toolbar. (But that's so obvious I must be misunderstanding the
            question!)

            Greg
          • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
            Message 5 of 8 , May 20, 2009
              I probably asked wrong causing your puzzlement :-).

              While when in office applications I can click tools/add to my places.

              When saving a file in notetab, there is a set of folders to the left ...
              but no way I see to change which folders are in there. I know there is
              a way ... but I don't remember how.

              I am on XP

              Greg Chapman wrote:
              > Hi Don,
              >
              > On 20 May 09 06:42 "dpasseng" <don@...> said:
              >> how do I get a folder to the left side of the windows explorer
              >> window?
              >
              > Unless you've customised things in some way, click the FOLDERS button
              > on the toolbar. (But that's so obvious I must be misunderstanding the
              > question!)
              >
              > Greg

            • John Zeman
              Message 6 of 8 , May 20, 2009
                --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" <don@...> wrote:

                > When saving a file in notetab, there is a set of folders to the left ...
                > but no way I see to change which folders are in there.

                For XP, Google TweakUI.

                john
              • Greg Chapman
                Message 7 of 8 , May 20, 2009
                  Hi Don,

                  On 20 May 09 12:32 "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" <don@...> said:
                  > When saving a file in notetab, there is a set of folders to the left
                  > ... but no way I see to change which folders are in there. I know
                  > there is a way ... but I don't remember how.
                  >
                  > I am on XP

                  I also am on XP. I have Microsoft's free utility "TweakUI" installed.
                  That has a facility, under the "Common Dialogs" branch that allows
                  editing of the Places Bar. I've never used it but I believe it will
                  do what you want.

                  Greg
                • LaurieK
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 20, 2009
                    Don,

                    Its funny because I just ran into this 2 days ago. I saw this on a demo of
                    something and was like WHAT??? Because I never knew there was a way to
                    customize it.

                    What Don is talking about (if I can help to explain. maybe).

                    1. Working on a file you click Files > Save As

                    2. Dialog box comes up and on the left you see My documents, My
                    Computer and a few other 'shortcuts'

                    3. How does one customize this to add your own 'special'
                    location(s)???

                    Thanks for asking Don, I can't WAIT for a fix J