Re: [NTO] yahoo-groups --> googlegroups ? (was: NoteTab CSE update)

  • buralex@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 10, 2007
      "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" <don@...> said on Aug 10, 2007 16:26
      -0400 (in part):
      > I wonder if our moderators should give in and move us to google groups?

      I belong to a number of google-groups and they seem to be just as good
      as yahoo-groups and superior in at least a couple of ways.

      Now that yahoo-groups provide a competent search engine and have
      increased storage space per group its doing a pretty good job. The major
      downside of the search is that there is no way (AFAIK) to search
      cross-groups.
      ie. search for something that could be in any or all of Notetab,
      NTB-clips or NTB-HTML.

      I don't know whether anyone has figured out a reliable way to transfer
      history from Yahoo-groups to Google-groups?

      This google query: "Discussions
      <http://groups.google.com/group/Google-Groups-Guide/topics> > Managing
      Your Group <http://groups.google.com/group/Managing-Your-Group/topics> >
      converting my yahoo group into a google group?" finds one question with
      no answer. Probably there are answers out there but I didn't find them
      in a quick search :-(

      FWIW: I've got all Notetab groups archived in my gmail from February
      11th, 2005 to present and from Dec 2002 thru Feb 2006 saved as EML files
      on hard-disk but off-the-cuff I don't know of a way to get either to
      Google groups.

      Current Memberships:

      * Notetab -2309
      * Clips - 1515
      * HTML - 784
      * NRN - 428
      * NTO - 428
      * Aid4Mail - 264
      * Mailbag - 496
      * EzThumbs - 169
      * EzImager - 209
      * plus a few each in essentially dormant groups FS-Accessibility and
      NTB-scripts

      Julie: Are you "in charge" now? Any thoughts?
      > x222fbj wrote:
      >
      >> FYI - the sites searched by NoteTab CSE are listed below.
      >> AFAIK the CSE does a good job EXCEPT for searching the Yahoo Groups.
      >> If you find otherwise pls post (eg did not find X on URL y).
      >> Best to use the Yahoo Groups Search for searching Yahoo Groups.
      Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail

    • Julie
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 11, 2007
        At 8/11/2007 12:45 AM, buralex@... wrote:

        >Julie: Are you "in charge" now? Any thoughts?

        I've not used google groups, and ultimately the decision would be Eric's. :-)

        Julie