Re: [NTO] Mail to a List

  • Robert Romberger
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 3, 2007
      On 1 Jun 2007 at 14:33, Ray Shapp wrote:

      > How to send mail to a list of addresses?

      Hello Ray,

      I've been reading the replies and your responses to this problem. One of the things I
      think is going to continue to cause you problems is your outgoing mail ISP. Unless you have
      an ISP that will allow you to send to multiple recipients at the same time, you may find that
      you can't send out messages to more than say 25 people at one time. This is due to the way
      many ISP check the To: and Cc: fields. They may even be keying in on the mailer in use - in
      your case, Outlook Express. A list manager that you control locally may get you around the
      ISP mail limit I mentioned before, if it allows you to use the bcc: method of sending list mail.

      I've been using Pegasus Mail (http://www.pmail.com) for many years now as my
      main mail program. One of the things it does well is to set up and send out distribution lists
      (mailing lists just like you describe). Check it out, it may well do what you want.

      --
      Robert
      http://www.mystickeep.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 3, 2007
        Robert Romberger wrote:
        > One of the things it does well is to set up and send out
        > distribution lists (mailing lists just like you describe).
        > Check it out, it may well do what you want.

        I'm, pretty convinced it won't. Every decent mailer can do that, but
        whatever program you use, your own ISP, i.e. the one whose SMTP you use,
        will always see the complete list of recipients whatever field they are
        placed into. Which is why I suggested using another SMTP by another
        prvider for the purpose of those mails.

        Axel
      • Ray Shapp
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 4, 2007
          Hi Robert and Axel

          Thank you for the replies.

          The PostCast Server that was suggested here contains a local SMTP server. It
          works with many mail clients including Outlook Express. I'm using MSOE and
          PostCast Server now to send you this message.

          PostCast Server is free, however that company's flagship product, PostCast, is
          not free. As soon as I finish with my next newsletter, I will download the
          trial version of PostCast and see for myself whether it performs as I
          understand it to do. Our membership DB is in MS Access. The PostCast website
          says PC and PC Server will work together with MS Access to send what appear to
          be individual emails to each of the members who meet the criteria of Access
          queries I define.

          That sounds ideal because I will then need to maintain only one DB, and
          through the use of custom queries, I can send email to our whole roster or to
          various subsets.

          The Pro version costs $100, but if it performs as advertised, I will purchase
          it for the club.

          I'll report back after I use it.

          Thanks again.

          Ray Shapp
        • Robert Romberger
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 4, 2007
            On 3 Jun 2007 at 20:01, Axel Berger wrote:

            > Robert Romberger wrote:
            > > One of the things it does well is to set up and send out
            > > distribution lists (mailing lists just like you describe).
            > > Check it out, it may well do what you want.
            >
            > I'm, pretty convinced it won't. Every decent mailer can do that, but
            > whatever program you use, your own ISP, i.e. the one whose SMTP you use,
            > will always see the complete list of recipients whatever field they are
            > placed into. Which is why I suggested using another SMTP by another
            > prvider for the purpose of those mails.

            RTFM. There is a difference between sending out a list with one message and many
            recipients (multiple To:, Cc:, and/or Bcc:) and a list that puts out one message per recipient.
            That is a distribution list in Pegasus - one message per recipient of the list. To the ISP, you
            are sending out a bunch of individual e-mails. What you did was write one message and
            send it to your distribution list. Each recipient receives the message addressed to them
            without seeing the rest of the distribution list addresses. Yes, Pegasus has a simple SMTP
            component built in.

            --
            Robert
            http://www.mystickeep.com