Re: [NTO] Mail to a List

  • Ray Shapp
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 2, 2007
      Hi Axel, fw, and Alice.

      The PostCast Server looks like it might do the job. I have installed it and am
      sending this to you through it now. In a day or so, I will compose a test list
      and will see if it works with more than just a few addressees.

      PostCast at>>>

      http://www.download.com/PostCast-Server-Free-Edition/3000-2369_4-10332410.html

      Many thanks for your help.

      Ray Shapp
    • Robert Romberger
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 3, 2007
        On 1 Jun 2007 at 14:33, Ray Shapp wrote:

        > How to send mail to a list of addresses?

        Hello Ray,

        I've been reading the replies and your responses to this problem. One of the things I
        think is going to continue to cause you problems is your outgoing mail ISP. Unless you have
        an ISP that will allow you to send to multiple recipients at the same time, you may find that
        you can't send out messages to more than say 25 people at one time. This is due to the way
        many ISP check the To: and Cc: fields. They may even be keying in on the mailer in use - in
        your case, Outlook Express. A list manager that you control locally may get you around the
        ISP mail limit I mentioned before, if it allows you to use the bcc: method of sending list mail.

        I've been using Pegasus Mail (http://www.pmail.com) for many years now as my
        main mail program. One of the things it does well is to set up and send out distribution lists
        (mailing lists just like you describe). Check it out, it may well do what you want.

        --
        Robert
        http://www.mystickeep.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 3, 2007
          Robert Romberger wrote:
          > One of the things it does well is to set up and send out
          > distribution lists (mailing lists just like you describe).
          > Check it out, it may well do what you want.

          I'm, pretty convinced it won't. Every decent mailer can do that, but
          whatever program you use, your own ISP, i.e. the one whose SMTP you use,
          will always see the complete list of recipients whatever field they are
          placed into. Which is why I suggested using another SMTP by another
          prvider for the purpose of those mails.

          Axel
        • Ray Shapp
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 4, 2007
            Hi Robert and Axel

            Thank you for the replies.

            The PostCast Server that was suggested here contains a local SMTP server. It
            works with many mail clients including Outlook Express. I'm using MSOE and
            PostCast Server now to send you this message.

            PostCast Server is free, however that company's flagship product, PostCast, is
            not free. As soon as I finish with my next newsletter, I will download the
            trial version of PostCast and see for myself whether it performs as I
            understand it to do. Our membership DB is in MS Access. The PostCast website
            says PC and PC Server will work together with MS Access to send what appear to
            be individual emails to each of the members who meet the criteria of Access
            queries I define.

            That sounds ideal because I will then need to maintain only one DB, and
            through the use of custom queries, I can send email to our whole roster or to
            various subsets.

            The Pro version costs $100, but if it performs as advertised, I will purchase
            it for the club.

            I'll report back after I use it.

            Thanks again.

            Ray Shapp
          • Robert Romberger
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 4, 2007
              On 3 Jun 2007 at 20:01, Axel Berger wrote:

              > Robert Romberger wrote:
              > > One of the things it does well is to set up and send out
              > > distribution lists (mailing lists just like you describe).
              > > Check it out, it may well do what you want.
              >
              > I'm, pretty convinced it won't. Every decent mailer can do that, but
              > whatever program you use, your own ISP, i.e. the one whose SMTP you use,
              > will always see the complete list of recipients whatever field they are
              > placed into. Which is why I suggested using another SMTP by another
              > prvider for the purpose of those mails.

              RTFM. There is a difference between sending out a list with one message and many
              recipients (multiple To:, Cc:, and/or Bcc:) and a list that puts out one message per recipient.
              That is a distribution list in Pegasus - one message per recipient of the list. To the ISP, you
              are sending out a bunch of individual e-mails. What you did was write one message and
              send it to your distribution list. Each recipient receives the message addressed to them
              without seeing the rest of the distribution list addresses. Yes, Pegasus has a simple SMTP
              component built in.

              --
              Robert
              http://www.mystickeep.com