Re: [NTO] Mail to a List

  • fw7oaks
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 2, 2007
      > As I said in my original email (and repeated above), I'm looking
      > for a list manager that I can control locally. Does anyone know of
      > freeware, shareware, or a retail application that will fill my
      need?

      have a look at

      http://www.download.com/PostCast-Server-Free-Edition/3000-2369_4-10332410.html

      used it and had no problems, moved on to the 'Pro' version

      fw
    • alice ttlg
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 2, 2007
        On 6/2/07, Ray Shapp <ras45@...> wrote:
        > <<If your webhost doesn't offer cPanel, do they offer mailing lists with the
        > webhosting package?>>
        >
        > Yes, however, we have had bad experiences with that. This ISP tags some of our
        > messages (seemingly randomly) as spam or as potentially containing malware. We
        > send only plain text, and never add attachments, but they block some of our
        > outgoing email anyway. Strangely, some messages are treated differently when
        > the content is identical, and only the addressees differ.

        It's likely that has nothing to do with your list, it may be other
        customers of your webhost on the same server who are sending out spam
        or viruses. Your mail goes out from the same IP address as those
        people and gets tagged for that reason, not because of your actual
        content.

        You could also try this service here - I know virtually nothing about
        it except that they're trying to offer an alternative to Yahoogroups
        and Google Groups and they offer both free and pay levels - you could
        try the free version, see how it works out, set up a list, get a
        couple people to join, test out sending messages, etc.

        > No. After I secure permission from a member, I use the "Invite" feature within
        > the Y! group. A recipient of an invitation needs only to follow the prompts.

        Actually they can join by email which doesn't need an invite and would
        keep them from setting to NoMail. All they have to do is hit reply on
        the invitation - don't click on the link, just hit reply and that will
        get them on the list set to individual emails.

        You can put that instruction - to just hit reply, not click on the
        link - in the text of your invitation. If you put it in all caps,
        most people would likely see it and follow it.

        > finally get established are unable to update their email address if that
        > becomes necessary.

        You could unsub them and directly add them when they change email
        addresses - since that would only be an occasional one here and there,
        you could do that. Just tell your list members to let you know when
        they need to change their email address.

        --
        alice ttlg

        LJ: http://alicettlg.livejournal.com/
        Vox Populli: http://www.populli.org/
      • Ray Shapp
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 2, 2007
          Hi Axel, fw, and Alice.

          The PostCast Server looks like it might do the job. I have installed it and am
          sending this to you through it now. In a day or so, I will compose a test list
          and will see if it works with more than just a few addressees.

          PostCast at>>>

          http://www.download.com/PostCast-Server-Free-Edition/3000-2369_4-10332410.html

          Many thanks for your help.

          Ray Shapp
        • Robert Romberger
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 3, 2007
            On 1 Jun 2007 at 14:33, Ray Shapp wrote:

            > How to send mail to a list of addresses?

            Hello Ray,

            I've been reading the replies and your responses to this problem. One of the things I
            think is going to continue to cause you problems is your outgoing mail ISP. Unless you have
            an ISP that will allow you to send to multiple recipients at the same time, you may find that
            you can't send out messages to more than say 25 people at one time. This is due to the way
            many ISP check the To: and Cc: fields. They may even be keying in on the mailer in use - in
            your case, Outlook Express. A list manager that you control locally may get you around the
            ISP mail limit I mentioned before, if it allows you to use the bcc: method of sending list mail.

            I've been using Pegasus Mail (http://www.pmail.com) for many years now as my
            main mail program. One of the things it does well is to set up and send out distribution lists
            (mailing lists just like you describe). Check it out, it may well do what you want.

            --
            Robert
            http://www.mystickeep.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 3, 2007
              Robert Romberger wrote:
              > One of the things it does well is to set up and send out
              > distribution lists (mailing lists just like you describe).
              > Check it out, it may well do what you want.

              I'm, pretty convinced it won't. Every decent mailer can do that, but
              whatever program you use, your own ISP, i.e. the one whose SMTP you use,
              will always see the complete list of recipients whatever field they are
              placed into. Which is why I suggested using another SMTP by another
              prvider for the purpose of those mails.

              Axel
            • Ray Shapp
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 4, 2007
                Hi Robert and Axel

                Thank you for the replies.

                The PostCast Server that was suggested here contains a local SMTP server. It
                works with many mail clients including Outlook Express. I'm using MSOE and
                PostCast Server now to send you this message.

                PostCast Server is free, however that company's flagship product, PostCast, is
                not free. As soon as I finish with my next newsletter, I will download the
                trial version of PostCast and see for myself whether it performs as I
                understand it to do. Our membership DB is in MS Access. The PostCast website
                says PC and PC Server will work together with MS Access to send what appear to
                be individual emails to each of the members who meet the criteria of Access
                queries I define.

                That sounds ideal because I will then need to maintain only one DB, and
                through the use of custom queries, I can send email to our whole roster or to
                various subsets.

                The Pro version costs $100, but if it performs as advertised, I will purchase
                it for the club.

                I'll report back after I use it.

                Thanks again.

                Ray Shapp
              • Robert Romberger
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 4, 2007
                  On 3 Jun 2007 at 20:01, Axel Berger wrote:

                  > Robert Romberger wrote:
                  > > One of the things it does well is to set up and send out
                  > > distribution lists (mailing lists just like you describe).
                  > > Check it out, it may well do what you want.
                  >
                  > I'm, pretty convinced it won't. Every decent mailer can do that, but
                  > whatever program you use, your own ISP, i.e. the one whose SMTP you use,
                  > will always see the complete list of recipients whatever field they are
                  > placed into. Which is why I suggested using another SMTP by another
                  > prvider for the purpose of those mails.

                  RTFM. There is a difference between sending out a list with one message and many
                  recipients (multiple To:, Cc:, and/or Bcc:) and a list that puts out one message per recipient.
                  That is a distribution list in Pegasus - one message per recipient of the list. To the ISP, you
                  are sending out a bunch of individual e-mails. What you did was write one message and
                  send it to your distribution list. Each recipient receives the message addressed to them
                  without seeing the rest of the distribution list addresses. Yes, Pegasus has a simple SMTP
                  component built in.

                  --
                  Robert
                  http://www.mystickeep.com