Re: [NTO] Re: DOS Programs on LCDs XP and Vista

  • Larry Hamilton
    Message 1 of 11 , May 29 6:43 PM
      Don, All,

      I tried something else and Googled for

      VGA.sys DOS Vista full screen

      I think one of the links Alan shared mentioned VGA. A lot of old DOS
      games evidently have an issue with VGA and VESA and full screen. There
      is a third party fix to VGA.sys here:
      http://www.nomissoft.com/cgi-bin/ax.cgi?http://www.nomissoft.com/files/winxpfix.zip

      I am leery to try it.

      I'll check the MSKB and see what turns up.

      Larry Hamilton
      Kairos Computer Solutions
      http://www.kairoscomputers.com/
      Sales Affiliate for Grisoft Anti-Virus

      Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:
      > Larry Hamilton wrote:
      >
      >> Alex, All,
      >>
      >> Yes, I know about the ALT+ENTER and the full screen properties on the
      >> shortcut.
      >>
      >> By "not run" I should have translated. ;-) The program runs, but you
      >> cannot read it.
      >>
      >> This must be something with the driver. I have tried Googling the
      >> monitor, graphics card, and driver, but do not get helpful results.
      >>
      >> A co-worker who has XP and an LCD and was on vacation last week, tried
      >> the apps on his system and it worked.
      >>

      > There is a way to ask vista to run a program "under" xp as I recall.
      > Have you tried that?
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Larry Hamilton
      Message 2 of 11 , May 29 6:48 PM
        BINGO!

        http://support.microsoft.com/kb/197538

        Well, almost. This is for NT and directs to the NT service pack. This
        must be what the VGA.sys third party fix is for.

        This is similar to what clients are experiencing on XP Pro. I believe
        this is also what my Dad has on Vista Home.

        I'll keep at it and if there is another solution besides this third
        party fix, I'll let you know.

        Message 3 of 11 , May 29 6:54 PM
          Here is the MSKB on Vista. This answers my Dad's issue.

          16-bit DOS apps on Vista are NOT supported in full screen mode.

          http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926657

          It suggests loading the XP video drivers. I'll just tell my Dad he has
          to live with it. Maybe I can get him to go to a new program for his
          addresses. He can dump them to a CSV file, and import to anything, so I
          think that issue is solved.

          Now on to the XP issue.

          The search term I used this time is

          full-screen command prompt

          Message 4 of 11 , May 29 7:16 PM
            Larry Hamilton wrote:
            > Here is the MSKB on Vista. This answers my Dad's issue.
            >
            > 16-bit DOS apps on Vista are NOT supported in full screen mode.
            >
            > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926657
            >
            > It suggests loading the XP video drivers. I'll just tell my Dad he has
            > to live with it. Maybe I can get him to go to a new program for his
            > addresses. He can dump them to a CSV file, and import to anything, so I
            > think that issue is solved.

            CSVed is pretty darn nice for such things!