Re: [NTO] DOS Programs on LCDs XP and Vista

  • Jason W.
    Message 1 of 11 , May 28, 2007
      On 5/28/07, lm_hamilton <lmh@...> wrote:

      > My dad has a new PC with MS Vista. He has an old DOS database program
      > PC-FILE that he keeps all of his addresses. He says it will not run
      > full screen.

      Is it possible his DOS window just isn't in full-screen mode? Have him
      hit Alt-Enter to try to switch to full screen. Full-screen DOS is the
      same video mode as when most computers boot up and you see nothing but
      text right before you see the Windows loading screen.

      I've LCD's at work and I occasionally have to work in non-GUI mode.
      I've not seen an LCD refuse to do so, and if this is the case with
      your dad, it's a very odd LCD indeed :)

      --
      HTH, YMMV, HANW :)

      Jason

      My operat~1 system unders~1 long filena~1, does yours?
    • prog@lomascentral.com
      Message 2 of 11 , May 28, 2007
        Not true, this is simply the way your system is set up to run these two
        programmes.

        The effective difference between CMD.EXE and COMMAND.COM is that the
        first is a new 32 bit version and the latter is the old legacy 16 bit
        versions.

        As memory serves command.com runs autoexec.bat and config.sys (located
        in the windows\system32 directory) while cmd.exe doesn't and is only
        useful for backward compatibility if your programme won't work with
        cmd.exe. It also doesn't work with long file names, try typing cd
        "\program files" in command and you'll find it fails.

        Unless you have an old programme there's no good reason to use
        command.com (and quite a lot of reasons not to). cmd.exe while looking a
        lot like it's elder relative was rewritten from scratch to get away from
        the old 16 bit limitations.

        Tim

        alice ttlg wrote:

        > I know that in XP, typing "cmd" in Start > Run, gets you full screen
        > DOS while "command" gets you a DOS window.

      • acummingsus
        Message 3 of 11 , May 28, 2007
          Sent over 5 hours ago. And since that one hasn't shown up yet, here's
          #2, which is a repeat of the first.

          On Monday 28 May 2007 08:19, lm_hamilton wrote:
          > I think this is an issue related to LCD monitors and independent of
          > the OS.

          I would hazard a guess here that it *may* have to do with that LCD
          uses very
          significantly slower vertical and horizontal refresh rates than CRT does.

          (such refresh rates are controlled by the O.S. and the driver(s) )

          ??? I could be way off there on that guess. But it is true, the
          difference in
          refresh rates used. I would think that, given if the O.S. properly
          controls
          everything through proper drivers and etc. that (so called) "legacy" apps
          could then run in the desired way.

          > I have tried Googling, but can't seem to get the right

          I turned up a little bit (controversy over whether or not the virtual
          machine
          for download from MS is needed so as to get compatability with legacy
          apps) -- then, time ran out on me. If you end up wading through some
          of this
          and arrive at something conclusive, I'd love to hear back about the
          results
          here.

          Near half way down the page
          http://search.techrepublic.com.com/search/Microsoft+Windows+Vista+and+george+ou.html

          http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-6230-0.html?forumID=102&threadID=202517&start=0

          http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/Ou/?p=344

          http://techrepublic.com.com//5208-6230-0.html?forumID=102&threadID=202517&messageID=2109877

          http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&q=dos+app+vista+lcd&btnG=Search

          http://www.google.com/search?q=legacy+apps+win+xp+vista+lcd&btnG=Search&hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial

          (for laughs. Or, maybe not?)
          http://chris.pirillo.com/2007/03/09/windows-vista-help/

          (I guess is info for legacy app that does run)

          (oop, even more is needed if the legacy app just won't run)

          Alan.

          > My dad has a new PC with MS Vista. He has an old DOS database program
          > PC-FILE that he keeps all of his addresses. He says it will not run
          > full screen.
          >
          > At work, I support some old DOS programs. One client got new PCs with
          > Win XP Pro and LCD monitors. They also cannot get the DOS programs to
          > run full screen. The closest they could come was changing the screen
          > resolution to 800x600, but it is still in a DOS window. This is not a
          > good solution, as it limits what they can do in Windows programs.
          >
          > I do not have XP or an LCD monitor to fiddle with at work. I know
          > there has to be a simple answer for the driver or a monitor setting.
          >
          > I am sure this issue will keep coming up, as we have about 150 clients
          > on the collection of DOS software I support. It will be years before
          > we get them moved to Windows software.
        • Larry Hamilton
          Message 4 of 11 , May 29, 2007
            Alex, All,

            Yes, I know about the ALT+ENTER and the full screen properties on the
            shortcut.

            By "not run" I should have translated. ;-) The program runs, but you
            cannot read it.

            This must be something with the driver. I have tried Googling the
            monitor, graphics card, and driver, but do not get helpful results.

            A co-worker who has XP and an LCD and was on vacation last week, tried
            the apps on his system and it worked.

            We do not support client's hardware, but this client does not have their
            own IT department, so I was trying to figure it out as a courtesy. I was
            also hoping the answer would help my father's issue.

            I do not trust having my Dad change drivers or other settings. He "had"
            to get a new computer because the old one was "broken". He gave it to
            me. I took out the new RAM chip he got, and it started right up (It was
            the wrong kind of RAM.). He did not take my advice on optimizing his old
            PC (Spybot S&D, dumping all the expensive utilities & bloatware, etc.).
            I did what I told him to do and it runs great. I think he just wanted an
            excuse to get a new computer. I'll just have to fiddle with it next time
            we make it back for a visit. ;-)

            My Dad & sister could not figure out the LCD monitor. One of my
            brother's went by and hit the power button, and it started working. Of
            course, they tried that already. ;-)

            It would be a lot easier if I did not live almost 600 miles away. I
            tried getting a remote software setup, but that's another story. Ah, the
            joys of trying to be a good son. ;-)

            Larry Hamilton
            Kairos Computer Solutions
            http://www.kairoscomputers.com/
            Sales Affiliate for Grisoft Anti-Virus
          • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
            Message 5 of 11 , May 29, 2007
              Larry Hamilton wrote:
              > Alex, All,
              >
              > Yes, I know about the ALT+ENTER and the full screen properties on the
              > shortcut.
              >
              > By "not run" I should have translated. ;-) The program runs, but you
              > cannot read it.
              >
              > This must be something with the driver. I have tried Googling the
              > monitor, graphics card, and driver, but do not get helpful results.
              >
              > A co-worker who has XP and an LCD and was on vacation last week, tried
              > the apps on his system and it worked.

              There is a way to ask vista to run a program "under" xp as I recall.
              Have you tried that?
            • Larry Hamilton
              Message 6 of 11 , May 29, 2007
                Don, All,

                I tried something else and Googled for

                VGA.sys DOS Vista full screen

                I think one of the links Alan shared mentioned VGA. A lot of old DOS
                games evidently have an issue with VGA and VESA and full screen. There
                is a third party fix to VGA.sys here:
                http://www.nomissoft.com/cgi-bin/ax.cgi?http://www.nomissoft.com/files/winxpfix.zip

                I am leery to try it.

                I'll check the MSKB and see what turns up.

                Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:
                > Larry Hamilton wrote:
                >
                >> Alex, All,
                >>
                >> Yes, I know about the ALT+ENTER and the full screen properties on the
                >> shortcut.
                >>
                >> By "not run" I should have translated. ;-) The program runs, but you
                >> cannot read it.
                >>
                >> This must be something with the driver. I have tried Googling the
                >> monitor, graphics card, and driver, but do not get helpful results.
                >>
                >> A co-worker who has XP and an LCD and was on vacation last week, tried
                >> the apps on his system and it worked.
                >>

                > There is a way to ask vista to run a program "under" xp as I recall.
                > Have you tried that?
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Larry Hamilton
                Message 7 of 11 , May 29, 2007
                  BINGO!

                  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/197538

                  Well, almost. This is for NT and directs to the NT service pack. This
                  must be what the VGA.sys third party fix is for.

                  This is similar to what clients are experiencing on XP Pro. I believe
                  this is also what my Dad has on Vista Home.

                  I'll keep at it and if there is another solution besides this third
                  party fix, I'll let you know.

                  Message 8 of 11 , May 29, 2007
                    Here is the MSKB on Vista. This answers my Dad's issue.

                    16-bit DOS apps on Vista are NOT supported in full screen mode.

                    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926657

                    It suggests loading the XP video drivers. I'll just tell my Dad he has
                    to live with it. Maybe I can get him to go to a new program for his
                    addresses. He can dump them to a CSV file, and import to anything, so I
                    think that issue is solved.

                    Now on to the XP issue.

                    The search term I used this time is

                    full-screen command prompt

                    Message 9 of 11 , May 29, 2007
                      Larry Hamilton wrote:
                      > Here is the MSKB on Vista. This answers my Dad's issue.
                      >
                      > 16-bit DOS apps on Vista are NOT supported in full screen mode.
                      >
                      > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926657
                      >
                      > It suggests loading the XP video drivers. I'll just tell my Dad he has
                      > to live with it. Maybe I can get him to go to a new program for his
                      > addresses. He can dump them to a CSV file, and import to anything, so I
                      > think that issue is solved.

                      CSVed is pretty darn nice for such things!