Re: [NTO] DOS Programs on LCDs XP and Vista

    Message 1 of 4 , May 28 8:35 AM
      lm_hamilton wrote:
      > I think this is an issue related to LCD monitors and independent of
      > the OS.

      I don't believe that. To the computer the LCD is just a VGA-plug with a
      certain requirements for resolution and horizontal and vertical
      frequencies. This has no bearing whatever on what can and can not be
      shown on that screen.
      I'm certain you need to look in another direction.

      Axel
    • alice ttlg
      Message 2 of 4 , May 28 11:44 AM
        On 5/28/07, Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@...> wrote:
        > I don't believe that. To the computer the LCD is just a VGA-plug with a
        > certain requirements for resolution and horizontal and vertical
        > frequencies. This has no bearing whatever on what can and can not be
        > shown on that screen.

        I think it may relate to the LCD drivers for Vista tho - from what
        I've read on Vista, it likes to decide what's best :) and newer
        monitor drivers can be quite intuitive, even with WinXP (I encountered
        this when setting up boss' new PC with fancy LCD monitor earlier this
        year). The drivers for the monitor specific to Vista may have some
        sort of auto-setting to always show DOS in windows rather than
        allowing full screen. There are likely ways to override that but that
        may be why it's happening with the LCD monitors and not with CRT
        monitors.

        --
        alice ttlg

        LJ: http://alicettlg.livejournal.com/
        Vox Populli: http://www.populli.org/
      • David Smart
        Message 3 of 4 , May 28 3:40 PM
          You need to get a bit more information. E.g. what does "it will not run
          full screen" mean? Does it mean that it won't change its display mode at
          all, and still continues to display in a window? Or does it mean that it
          goes full screen and the monitor can't cope with it?

          My XP Pro's go (nearly) full screen on my Dell 17" LCDs at home and
          completely full screen on my wife's Dell 19" LCD. My XP pro at work also
          goes full screen (or nearly full screen - I don't remember, and I'm not
          there today). Don't know about your dad's Vista, but your client's XP
          shouldn't have problems.

          AFAIK the resolution used for full-screen DOS windows will be the same
          resolution used by the BIOS as the computer boots. If you can see that OK,
          then your graphic card and monitor are comfortable with text resolution (80
          x 25 characters) windows.

          What happens when you try a CRT monitor on your client's computer? That
          will certainly tell you whether it's CRT-related or not.

          Regards, Dave S

          Message 4 of 4 , May 29 6:07 AM
            Hi
            have not used vista but if this DOS program has an icon on the desktop,
            click on the properties page and set full screen not in widow, hit apply
            ,next time you start full screen.
            THANKYOU DAVE M