Re: [NTO] Jim Hall is gone

  • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
    Message 1 of 5 , May 14, 2007
      loro wrote:
      > Hi All,
      >
      > I'm sad to tell you that after fighting cancer for more than a year, Jim
      > Hall is dead. I last heard from him a week ago when he told me it was a
      > matter of days. Today I got notice he had passed away. A small comfort is
      > that Jim seemed to be at peace with the situation.
      >
      > Those of you that are fairly new to the Notetab lists probably don't know
      > him since he wasn't very active here the last years. Oldtimers will
      > remember him. He had been around longer than me and I've been here since
      > 1999. Jim was always very helpful to everyone. I learnt a lot from him and
      > came to think of him as a dear friend.
      >
      > I'll raise a glass to an old friend tonight. Those of you who knew him -
      > please join me. I think Jim would have liked that.
      >
      > It has been a sad year for us Notetabbers.
      > Lotta

      I think that Eric should start naming releases after the departed.
      Version Five should undoubtedly be the Jody release and Jim can have six
      perhaps :-) I don't even know how long I have been around without
      looking but it has been at least five or six years. I am (knock on
      wood) happy to say I am healthy and enjoying the work that both of these
      two did before and during my time. Every time I crack a clip and see
      Jody's legacy code, or use noteblock clips, I think of Jody. It will be
      the same now with Jim's work.

      Don
    • Julie
      Message 2 of 5 , May 14, 2007
        Thanks for that info, Lotta. It's good that you were in touch. I
        often wonder about folks on lists / forums who seem to just disappear
        that I've gotten to know in a small way.

        RIP, Jim.

        At 5/14/2007 08:57 AM, loro wrote:
        >Hi All,
        >
        >I'm sad to tell you that after fighting cancer for more than a year, Jim
        >Hall is dead. I last heard from him a week ago when he told me it was a
        >matter of days. Today I got notice he had passed away. A small comfort is
        >that Jim seemed to be at peace with the situation.
        >
        >Those of you that are fairly new to the Notetab lists probably don't know
        >him since he wasn't very active here the last years. Oldtimers will
        >remember him. He had been around longer than me and I've been here since
        >1999. Jim was always very helpful to everyone. I learnt a lot from him and
        >came to think of him as a dear friend.
        >
        >I'll raise a glass to an old friend tonight. Those of you who knew him -
        >please join me. I think Jim would have liked that.
        >
        >It has been a sad year for us Notetabbers.
        >Lotta
      • John Zeman
        Message 3 of 5 , May 14, 2007
          I too am sorry to hear of Jim's passing, he was one of the regulars
          here for so long.

          May he rest in peace.

          John
        • Edward
          Message 4 of 5 , May 14, 2007
            I had forgotten that I met Jim here. We got into a private conversation over the merits of XP that was just being released and the fact that I actually am a Hall also. But on checking our genealogy we were not related. We discussed family matters and discovered we both had some relatives with the same first name in the Hall Family Tree. But where Jim really helped me out was getting me to use XP Pro. I have tried to email him at his email address for the last 8 or 9 months.

            Never came back but he never answered either. I thought it might be his work address, and probably he no longer worked there. While it was going through no one bothered to answer. Basically he said when a new OS comes out everyone has a friend who had a friend that knew why it would not work, would ruin your computer and was not safe to use etc. etc.

            I altho it has been along time since I started emailing him, I have kept that email and smiled as I see the same posts in Vista that was there about XP. Jim as usual was alway right. I will miss him, I have had several online friends die and it is always very sad and touches me deeply. I grieve with his family. Is there any place we could send a card, I would like the family to know how much Jim meant to me.
            Ed