RE: [NTO] Question regarding email address

  • Al ~Albaby~ Guevara
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2007
      A URL does NOT have to be Live on the Internet to be used as email

      Al Guevara * http://www.Tucson-WebDesign.com

      From: "C. H. Sulka \(Digital Technology, Inc.\)" <dti@...>
      To: ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [NTO] Question regarding email address

      > I recently received an email, i.e. <john@....>
      >I sent a reply, which was not bounced back. I have not
      >received an answer, making me wonder if my message is
      >wandering around lost in cyberspace. Yet when I try to
      >go to the web site for a look around, my browser reports
      >an error, "abcdefg.com could not be found. Please
      >check the name and try again".

      > Can someone explain how a domain name which does
      >not exist can be used as an email address? I'm a bit
      >confused.

      > Thanks,

      >C. H. Sulka

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • hsavage
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2007
        Al ~Albaby~ Guevara wrote:
        > A URL does NOT have to be Live on the Internet to be used as email
        >

        > Al Guevara * http://www.Tucson-WebDesign.com

        > From: "C. H. Sulka \(Digital Technology, Inc.\)"
        >
        > > I recently received an email, i.e. <john@....>
        reports
        > > an error, "abcdefg.com could not be found. Please
        > > check the name and try again".
        >
        > > Can someone explain how a domain name which does
        > > not exist can be used as an email address? I'm a bit
        > > confused.
        >
        > > Thanks,
        >
        > > C. H. Sulka

        C.H.,

        Although I've never done this I have read about it, I think it's called
        "spoofing", a gentle term for lying about an email address.

        ºvº SL-2-2
        2007.02.01 - 13.57.18

        Bathroom Etiquette II:
        "His Razor Is His."

        ¤ hrs ø hsavage@...
      • alice ttlg
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 1, 2007
          On 2/1/07, hsavage <hsavage@...> wrote:

          > Although I've never done this I have read about it, I think it's called
          > "spoofing", a gentle term for lying about an email address.

          Not necessarily. You can register a domain and set it up for email
          access only, no website, no working url and you're not spoofing, you
          just have only email on the domain.

          GoDaddy offers this service, they'll host email service on your domain
          for some small annual fee, you wouldn't have a working website but
          email would work fine.

          --
          alice ttlg

          LJ: http://alicettlg.livejournal.com/
          Vox Populli: http://www.populli.org/
        • Margaret Penfold
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 4, 2007
            I paid for two email addresses which I rather liked
            grannypenfold@....
            margaretpenfold@...
            I no longer use them though as messages I sent, using these addresses,
            are filtered into people's spam folders without the recipients having a
            chance to read them

            Regards,

            Margaret