Question regarding email address

  • C. H. Sulka (Digital Technology, Inc.)
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2007
      I recently received an email, i.e. <john@....>
      I sent a reply, which was not bounced back. I have not
      received an answer, making me wonder if my message is
      wandering around lost in cyberspace. Yet when I try to
      go to the web site for a look around, my browser reports
      an error, "abcdefg.com could not be found. Please
      check the name and try again".

      Can someone explain how a domain name which does
      not exist can be used as an email address? I'm a bit
      confused.

      Thanks,

      C. H. Sulka
    • Alan
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1, 2007
        On Thursday 01 February 2007 09:14, C. H. Sulka (Digital Technology, Inc.)
        wrote:
        > I recently received an email, i.e. <john@....>
        > I sent a reply, which was not bounced back.

        Did you look at the <reply-to> header before you replied to see exactly where
        you're reply would go to.

        and/or does your email client otherwise display where the email will go
        to "before" you (finally) opt to actually send out this reply.

        <snip>
        > Yet when I try to
        > go to the web site for a look around, my browser reports
        > an error, "abcdefg.com could not be found. Please
        > check the name and try again".
        >
        > Can someone explain how a domain name which does
        > not exist can be used as an email address? I'm a bit
        > confused.

        The particular email server that sends out the 1st, the original email is
        critical here. Most, if not all of ISP's email servers would not send it out
        due to they'd first verify that the domain must exist before they would allow
        to send out this email.

        There may, however, be some ISP's that do not run this check.

        1. But, then (some spammers) have been known to break into a computer and
        install a (rogue) email server on. For example,

        comcast zombies

        as a search term at google search engine used to turn up (it's now old news
        though)

        a rougue email server does what it does/wants, can do so without regard to
        check if a domain exists or not.

        2. Anyone, spammer or not, can set up their own email server and opt to or not
        to check if a domain exists before sending out an email that is "supposedly"
        from a certain domain.

        When "from" a domain that doesn't exist this could be a faked/forged "from" in
        the header of the email. (there is such a thing as faked/forged "from"
        thus_and_such_domain)

        Sender Policy Framework (SPF) is something that can police any
        forged/faked "from" header. SPF is somewhat in use that I know of but not in
        widespread, everywhere useage/implemented.

        --
        Alan.
      • alice ttlg
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 1, 2007
          On 2/1/07, Alan <acummingsus@...> wrote:

          > The particular email server that sends out the 1st, the original email is
          > critical here. Most, if not all of ISP's email servers would not send it out
          > due to they'd first verify that the domain must exist before they would allow
          > to send out this email.

          They'd verify that it existed for *email* service. Using a domain for
          email addresses does not require a working website. There's different
          DNS for accessing a website and for accessing email service. One is
          not required by the other, you don't need a valid url to get and send
          email and vice versa, you don't need to be able to get and send email
          to have a valid url.

          Since there was no bounce on the reply, it seems likely that the email
          address is valid and the recipient simply hasn't read email or hasn't
          chosen to reply.

          --
          alice ttlg

          LJ: http://alicettlg.livejournal.com/