Re: [NTO] Dual OS installation

  • David Smart
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 28, 2006
      I thought that was what I said. :-)

      The PC already has two partitions - i.e. the second partition is already
      formatted, presumably as NTFS. The partition might be empty, or it might
      not - Mordechai doesn't say it's empty, or that it's been created as FAT32 -
      so I need to assume that it isn't and hasn't.

      My other point is valid too. Assuming that the XP partition is NTFS, then
      Win 98 won't be able to see it. In the absence of any information to the
      contrary, I assume that Win 98 needs to see the same file area as XP.
      Therefore, it would also need to be converted to FAT32.

      This can be done with Partition Magic, without losing the contents. I don't
      know if there are any other products that will perform a format change
      without wiping the partition.

      Regards, Dave S

      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 28, 2006
        --- David Smart <djsmart@...> wrote:

        > I thought that was what I said. :-)
        >
        > The PC already has two partitions - i.e. the second partition is
        > already formatted, presumably as NTFS. The partition might be
        > empty, or it might not - Mordechai doesn't say it's empty, or that
        > it's been created as FAT32 - so I need to assume that it isn't and
        > hasn't.
        >
        > My other point is valid too. Assuming that the XP partition is
        > NTFS, then Win 98 won't be able to see it. In the absence of any
        > information to the contrary, I assume that Win 98 needs to see the
        > same file area as XP.
        > Therefore, it would also need to be converted to FAT32.

        If on the other hand he only needs to read the data on the NTFS
        partition (and not write to it with Win98) he could try looking at:-

        http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/NtfsWindows98.html

        which is free.

        fw
      • M.M.
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 28, 2006
          Hello and thanks to all the 'replyers'
          I am so sorry I forgot to mention in my question that the partitions on the
          disk are FAT32,
          and one partition is totaly empty.
          I am thinking to try the VMWare option - it sounds interesting (I never
          tried it) - the final decision is what my grandson will like.
          When it's done I will let you know.
          So again thanks to all of you
          and a Happy New Year.
          PS. Now I have some problem with MY computer, but this for another post.
          Mordechai
          m.mordechai@...