Re: [NTO] Dual OS installation

  • John Mitchell
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 27, 2006
      Have you considered running W98 in a virtual machine? You can get a copy
      of VMWare Workstation Beta for free here..
      http://register.vmware.com/content/beta/ws/download.html

      Just follow the instructions in the manual to install W98 as a guest OS.
      It's quick, simple, painless, and safe.

      If you feel you have to have W98 directly bootable then have a look at
      BootitNG (see http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootitng.html). This will
      allow you to do everything you need - backup your existing system,
      partition your disk, set up a boot menu, etc.. It is a very powerful
      utility and in my experience easy to use. Others find it a bit daunting
      because the documentation is a bit more technical that they are
      comfortable with.

      Whatever you do, it's always advisable to take a backup of your existing
      system before you start, just in case....

      Regards, John M

      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 27, 2006
        It is very likely that the disk on the PC is formatted as NTFS. Win 98
        won't work with NTFS, so any direct installation of Win 98 will require a
        reformat (to FAT32) of the partition it is to be installed on, plus a
        reformat of the other partition if Win 98 is expected to see it.

        If you absolutely need Win 98 natively installed on a computer, then the
        least effort solution is probably to pick up a second-hand computer and put
        it on that.

        I notice that John has suggested VMWare for a virtual installation. This
        would possibly mimic a FAT32 format for Win 98 on an NTFS system, and could
        well be a good way to go.

        Regards, Dave S

        > On my grandson's PC is installed win xp pro+sp1, now there is some need to
        > install
        > win 98se.
        > I know normaly 98se is to be installed first, but now it is a fact - xp is
        > installed.
        > The hard disk has two partitions and enough space for both systems.
        > I was searching for some guides / info how to solve this problem but found
        > only the "normal" procedure.
        > Can you point to places where I can find some guides / help?
        > Thanks in advance
        > Mordechai
        > m.mordechai@...

      • dave
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 28, 2006
          Hi
          most things will that run in 98SE will run in XP ,I have already tried .
          Sound card dependent applications also a few midi as well do not run.
          THANKYOU DAVE M

          > On my grandson's PC is installed win xp pro+sp1, now there is some need to
          > install
          > win 98se.
          > I know normaly 98se is to be installed first, but now it is a fact - xp is
          > installed.
          > The hard disk has two partitions and enough space for both systems.
          > I was searching for some guides / info how to solve this problem but found
          > only the "normal" procedure.
          > Can you point to places where I can find some guides / help?
          > Thanks in advance
          > Mordechai
          > m.mordechai@...

        • Vance E. Neff
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 28, 2006
            If there is a second partition, it can be formatted any way he wishes.

            Vance

            David Smart wrote:

            >It is very likely that the disk on the PC is formatted as NTFS. Win 98
            >won't work with NTFS, so any direct installation of Win 98 will require a
            >reformat (to FAT32) of the partition it is to be installed on, plus a
            >reformat of the other partition if Win 98 is expected to see it.
            >
            >If you absolutely need Win 98 natively installed on a computer, then the
            >least effort solution is probably to pick up a second-hand computer and put
            >it on that.
            >
            >I notice that John has suggested VMWare for a virtual installation. This
            >would possibly mimic a FAT32 format for Win 98 on an NTFS system, and could
            >well be a good way to go.
            >
            >Regards, Dave S

          • David Smart
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 28, 2006
              I thought that was what I said. :-)

              The PC already has two partitions - i.e. the second partition is already
              formatted, presumably as NTFS. The partition might be empty, or it might
              not - Mordechai doesn't say it's empty, or that it's been created as FAT32 -
              so I need to assume that it isn't and hasn't.

              My other point is valid too. Assuming that the XP partition is NTFS, then
              Win 98 won't be able to see it. In the absence of any information to the
              contrary, I assume that Win 98 needs to see the same file area as XP.
              Therefore, it would also need to be converted to FAT32.

              This can be done with Partition Magic, without losing the contents. I don't
              know if there are any other products that will perform a format change
              without wiping the partition.

              Regards, Dave S

              > If there is a second partition, it can be formatted any way he wishes.
              >
              > Vance
              >
              > David Smart wrote:
              >
              >>It is very likely that the disk on the PC is formatted as NTFS. Win 98
              >>won't work with NTFS, so any direct installation of Win 98 will require a
              >>reformat (to FAT32) of the partition it is to be installed on, plus a
              >>reformat of the other partition if Win 98 is expected to see it.
              >>
              >>If you absolutely need Win 98 natively installed on a computer, then the
              >>least effort solution is probably to pick up a second-hand computer and
              >>put
              >>it on that.
              >>
              >>I notice that John has suggested VMWare for a virtual installation. This
              >>would possibly mimic a FAT32 format for Win 98 on an NTFS system, and
              >>could
              >>well be a good way to go.
              >>
              >>Regards, Dave S

            • fw7oaks
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 28, 2006
                --- David Smart <djsmart@...> wrote:

                > I thought that was what I said. :-)
                >
                > The PC already has two partitions - i.e. the second partition is
                > already formatted, presumably as NTFS. The partition might be
                > empty, or it might not - Mordechai doesn't say it's empty, or that
                > it's been created as FAT32 - so I need to assume that it isn't and
                > hasn't.
                >
                > My other point is valid too. Assuming that the XP partition is
                > NTFS, then Win 98 won't be able to see it. In the absence of any
                > information to the contrary, I assume that Win 98 needs to see the
                > same file area as XP.
                > Therefore, it would also need to be converted to FAT32.

                If on the other hand he only needs to read the data on the NTFS
                partition (and not write to it with Win98) he could try looking at:-

                http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/NtfsWindows98.html

                which is free.

                fw
              • M.M.
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 28, 2006
                  Hello and thanks to all the 'replyers'
                  I am so sorry I forgot to mention in my question that the partitions on the
                  disk are FAT32,
                  and one partition is totaly empty.
                  I am thinking to try the VMWare option - it sounds interesting (I never
                  tried it) - the final decision is what my grandson will like.
                  When it's done I will let you know.
                  So again thanks to all of you
                  and a Happy New Year.
                  PS. Now I have some problem with MY computer, but this for another post.
                  Mordechai
                  m.mordechai@...