SMTP server has rejected address

  • Ray Shapp
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 23, 2006
      Hi Group,

      A member of our club asked me why emails from certain people haven't been
      getting through to him on one of his accounts. When I sent a test message a
      little while ago, I received the diagnostic message included below. I'm
      communicating with him now only through an alternate address. The member says
      he is not using any kind of spam filter or restrictive message rules that he
      is aware of.

      Can anyone tell me whether the diagnostic message indicates some condition
      that the member can control or is it a problem with his email server.

      Thank you for the help.

      Ray Shapp

      ***diagnostic message***

      Reason: Remote SMTP server has rejected address
      Diagnostic code: smtp;550 [SUSPEND] The mailbox is currently unavailable -
      please contact correspondent directly.
    • Greg Chapman
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 24, 2006
        Hi Ray,

        > ***diagnostic message***
        >
        > Reason: Remote SMTP server has rejected address
        > Diagnostic code: smtp;550 [SUSPEND] The mailbox is currently
        > unavailable -
        > please contact correspondent directly.

        I've googled this:

        ===================
        What does the error message "550 Mail Relay not allowed" mean?

        This error code is generated by the mail server to indicate that your
        message can-not be sent via this server. Administrators of mail servers will
        prevent unauthorised use of their systems so that their services are not
        hijacked and abused by others.

        Specifically, the SMTP 550 error code is defined by RFC821 and states "550
        Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable (e.g., mailbox not found, no
        access, or command rejected for policy reasons)".
        ===================

        In your case it's not a "relay not allowed", (frequently seen when you
        connect to one ISP and try to send mail that comes from another ISP's
        account) but it seems for some reason the ISP has suspended his account.

        Perhaps, his mail box keeps becoming full, or the ISP refuses HTML mail or
        mail with certain kinds of attachments?

        I guess he needs to read his terms and conditions carefully and see why he
        or his correspondents are breaking the rules.

        Greg
      • Jeff Scism
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 24, 2006
          His server has suspended his account. He needs to talk to them.

          Ray Shapp wrote:
          > Hi Group,
          >
          > A member of our club asked me why emails from certain people haven't been
          > getting through to him on one of his accounts. When I sent a test message a
          > little while ago, I received the diagnostic message included below. I'm
          > communicating with him now only through an alternate address. The member says
          > he is not using any kind of spam filter or restrictive message rules that he
          > is aware of.
          >
          > Can anyone tell me whether the diagnostic message indicates some condition
          > that the member can control or is it a problem with his email server.
          >
          > Thank you for the help.
          >
          > Ray Shapp
          >
          > ***diagnostic message***
          >
          > Reason: Remote SMTP server has rejected address
          > Diagnostic code: smtp;550 [SUSPEND] The mailbox is currently unavailable -
          > please contact correspondent directly.
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 24, 2006
            Ray Shapp wrote:
            > Hi Group,
            >
            > A member of our club asked me why emails from certain people haven't been
            > getting through to him on one of his accounts. When I sent a test message a
            > little while ago, I received the diagnostic message included below. I'm
            > communicating with him now only through an alternate address. The member says
            > he is not using any kind of spam filter or restrictive message rules that he
            > is aware of.
            I have found an upswing in this message being sent when the isp "feels"
            the message is spam. They want to spoof you into thinking that the box
            is gone so you cross it off your list. I have seen it for functioning
            accounts and a resend or diff. message sent minutes later will make it
            through. It is part of the continuing war on spam and I guess you can
            view it as death by friendly fire.
          • Ray Shapp
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 24, 2006
              Hi Greg, Jeff, Don:

              <<view it as death by friendly fire.>>

              Nice analogy.

              A separate test message from me did go through unhampered. The latest instance
              of bouncing was also from me, but I don't see why it might have been rejected.
              It was directly from me and it was in plain text, and it contained no
              attachments. An earlier bounce, however, had been relayed through a second
              ISP.

              The member will be relieved to know that the problem is with his ISP, and not
              with some recurring error on his part.

              Thanks for the help.

              Ray Shapp