Re: [NTO] Inexpensive host sought

  • MotoMania
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 22, 2006
      Sorry Scott,

      I haven't used IMAP email so don't know what can be setup or done to
      help with spam. Jatol offers SpamAssasin on the server side which helps
      some and then I use the built Junk filters on Thunderbird.

      Mick

      MotoMania aka Mick
      motomania@...
      Remove SPAM to email me :)

      safely in a pretty and well preserved body -- but rather to skid in
      broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming
      -- WOW, WHAT A RIDE!!" - Author : Unknown

      Scott Fordin wrote:
      > I used 1and1 for awhile, but found I was being bombed so heavily
      > with spam on my domain email account that I had to do something.
      > I switched to IX Webhosting, thinking that might be better, but
      > unfortunately, it didn't seem to make any difference... So, does
      > anyone have any recommendations regarding spam on domain email?
      > I use IMAP email, which seems to be part of the problem, as no
      > client-side spam filter I've seen can process IMAP mail because
      > with IMAP you only download message headers at first -- with POP
      > the entire message is downloaded and can therefore be parsed by
      > a spam filter.
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Scott
    • Al ~Alvaro~ Guevara
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 22, 2006
        Spam Assassin is on ALL cPanel/Unix hosts, and its works pretty good

        Al (Alvaro) Guevara * www.Tucson-WebDesign.com

        From: MotoMania <motomania@...>
        To: ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: Re: [NTO] Inexpensive host sought

        >Sorry Scott,

        >I haven't used IMAP email so don't know what can be setup or done to
        >help with spam. Jatol offers SpamAssasin on the server side which helps
        >some and then I use the built Junk filters on Thunderbird.

        >Mick

      • John Mitchell
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 22, 2006
          Fastmail (www.fastmail.fm) paid offerings include excellent Spam
          recognition and filtering capability. All inbound messages are given a
          Spam rating. You configure simple (or complex) filters to deal with them
          accordingly. I was getting in the order of 30-50/day with Spam scores
          >7. After filtering and monitoring for a month it was abundantly evident
          that it was safe to delete them all so I turned on the kill switch.

          Other similar services exists. Tuffmail and Runbox, for example. I have
          been a long time user of Fastmail but can't speak from personal
          experience about the others.

          Regards, John M