Re: [NTO] Inexpensive host sought

  • Al ~Alvaro~ Guevara
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 22, 2006
      Once your addy is ion he SPAM pool, youve got spam from now on, its got nothing to do with the host, assuming your host doesn't willingly shot spammers

      Thanks

      Al (Alvaro) Guevara * www.Tucson-WebDesign.com

      From: "Scott Fordin" <scott@...>
      To: ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [NTO] Inexpensive host sought

      >MotoMania wrote:
      >>
      >> I use Jatol and after having numerous hosting companies over the years,
      >> finally found a permanent home. I've been with them for over 4 years now
      >> and have many domains hosted there. Client, personal and business. Best
      >> support you'll find with any hosting company and reasonable prices as
      >> well. They've got a 200mb with 4 gig package for $30 a year.

      >I used 1and1 for awhile, but found I was being bombed so heavily
      >with spam on my domain email account that I had to do something.
      >I switched to IX Webhosting, thinking that might be better, but
      >unfortunately, it didn't seem to make any difference... So, does
      >anyone have any recommendations regarding spam on domain email?
      >I use IMAP email, which seems to be part of the problem, as no
      >client-side spam filter I've seen can process IMAP mail because
      >with IMAP you only download message headers at first -- with POP
      >the entire message is downloaded and can therefore be parsed by
      >a spam filter.

      >Thanks,

      >Scott

      >> http://www.jatolhost.com/pages/plan/ <http://www.jatolhost.com/pages/plan/>
      >>
      >> I have a reseller account with them and am VERY satisfied.
      >>
      >> Mick Housel
      >>
      >> MotoMania aka Mick
      >> motomania@... <mailto:motomania%40SPAMmickhousel.com>
      >> Remove SPAM to email me :)
      >>
      >> "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving
      >> safely in a pretty and well preserved body -- but rather to skid in
      >> broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming
      >> -- WOW, WHAT A RIDE!!" - Author : Unknown
      >>
      >> cefwis wrote:
      >> >

      >> > Fellow NTB-listers...could anybody recommend an inexpensive, ad-free
      >> > hosting service for my modest personal web site? I'm currently paying
      >> > about $100 a year for a fine service that provides 50 times as much
      >> > disk space as I need. And thanks. Charlie
      >> >

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • MotoMania
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 22, 2006
        Sorry Scott,

        I haven't used IMAP email so don't know what can be setup or done to
        help with spam. Jatol offers SpamAssasin on the server side which helps
        some and then I use the built Junk filters on Thunderbird.

        Mick

        MotoMania aka Mick
        motomania@...
        Remove SPAM to email me :)

        Scott Fordin wrote:
        > I used 1and1 for awhile, but found I was being bombed so heavily
        > with spam on my domain email account that I had to do something.
        > I switched to IX Webhosting, thinking that might be better, but
        > unfortunately, it didn't seem to make any difference... So, does
        > anyone have any recommendations regarding spam on domain email?
        > I use IMAP email, which seems to be part of the problem, as no
        > client-side spam filter I've seen can process IMAP mail because
        > with IMAP you only download message headers at first -- with POP
        > the entire message is downloaded and can therefore be parsed by
        > a spam filter.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Scott
      • Al ~Alvaro~ Guevara
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 22, 2006
          Spam Assassin is on ALL cPanel/Unix hosts, and its works pretty good

          Al (Alvaro) Guevara * www.Tucson-WebDesign.com

          From: MotoMania <motomania@...>
          To: ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com

          >Sorry Scott,

          >I haven't used IMAP email so don't know what can be setup or done to
          >help with spam. Jatol offers SpamAssasin on the server side which helps
          >some and then I use the built Junk filters on Thunderbird.

          >Mick

        • John Mitchell
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 22, 2006
            Fastmail (www.fastmail.fm) paid offerings include excellent Spam
            recognition and filtering capability. All inbound messages are given a
            Spam rating. You configure simple (or complex) filters to deal with them
            accordingly. I was getting in the order of 30-50/day with Spam scores
            >7. After filtering and monitoring for a month it was abundantly evident
            that it was safe to delete them all so I turned on the kill switch.

            Other similar services exists. Tuffmail and Runbox, for example. I have
            been a long time user of Fastmail but can't speak from personal
            experience about the others.

            Regards, John M