Detection of IDE Drives

  • M.M.
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 11, 2006
      Hello,
      Recently received my Grandson's PC to try "straighten" it after a
      Motherboard replacement, the motherboard was removed from my (working) old
      PC (including CPU) sometime ago and stored in a box, it was given to my son
      in law to replace a malfunctioning motherboard. After the replacement
      nothing was working, not even boot.

      I started from correcting the front panel switches connections to the
      motherboard.
      Then jumpered the two harddisks one master and the other slave, both
      connected to the primary IDE. To the secondary IDE were connected a CD-ROM
      and a
      CD-WRITER also jumpered accordingly.
      Then the PC connected to power and powered-up, first I opened the bios setup
      - all was well until the IDE AUTO DETECTION, only the first (master)
      harddisk was detected, at the second one (which was not detected) the bios
      stopped, nothing could be done and I shut down the power. I replaced the IDE
      (1) ribbon, powered up with no better luck.
      At this point inserted a system diskette in the flopy drive, the CD-ROM and
      the writer were detected and could read CD'd inserted into them.
      Further disconnected power plug from the slave harddisk (the un-detected
      one)
      and booted again into bios setup, funny, even the master was now NOT
      detected.
      So I removed all cards except the display card, did all the checks as above
      - no luck.
      Well, here I am, asking you for any idea, advise, anything.
      Any answer will be appreciated
      Thanks in advance,
      Mordechai
      m.mordechai@...

      P.S. The disks and CD drives were working in the same PC with the previous
      motherboard until the motherboard failed.

    • fw7oaks
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 12, 2006
        Put it all back together, but this time with the two hard drives
        connected to the IDE ribbon cable the other way around. If you had
        the primary drive at the end place on the middle connector.

        Worked for me once when I was having similar problems.

        fw