Re: [NTO] email narsties

  • Alec Burgess\(g\)
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 5, 2006
      POPFILE --- POPFILE --- POPFILE --- POPFILE --- POPFILE --- POPFILE ---
      POPFILE --- POPFILE --- POPFILE :-)

      A sourceforge open-source solution (Google for it) Coded in Perl -
      principal developer John Graham Cummings - its been evolving for the las
      four years or so. I get 99.6% spam clean rate.

      Downside - it does take a while to "train". If you just use it for
      SPAM/NOT SPAM decision around 200 emails each of Spam and not-Spam
      should (based on my and others experience) get you to the 99%+ level.
      (It will also sort your mail into (say) Spam, Personal, Work, Newsgroups
      etc.) if setup that way.

      Note: its probably NOT a great solution if you are on a low speed
      telephone line, since Popfile needs to download the whole message to do
      its analysis - initially assisted by you the user. Popfile puts
      identifying tokens in special headers (or in the subject line) - you
      setup filters based on headers (in non Outlook Express email clients) or
      based on modified subject line in Outlook Express to move [spam] to a
      Spam-folder. After you gain confidence in Popfile's decisions you can
      delete spam email after a quick visual scan of the subject lines.

      Note: after getting my new computer (a month ago) I restarted POPFILE's
      database and I'm now at 95% accuracy.
      More for fun than any other reason - I analyze incoming mails as:

      fyi ------ good-list ------ good-list_b ------ nogood-foreign
      nogood-fwds ------------ nogood-fyi ------ nogood-list
      nogood-my_testing ------ pat ----- per --------- spam-drugs
      spam-empty ------ spam-merch ------ spam-other
      spam-phish spam-porn_text ------ spam-stocks ------ spam-yahoo_grps

      Note: "pat" is my wife, "per" is personal, "fyi" are monthly reminders,
      etc. etc. that normally don't require action the other:
      spam-....... and nogood-....... are self-explanatory (I think).

      No URL's - as I said google for it. Also try looking at Popfile and
      other spam programs using:
      Google Trends - "See what the world is searching for."
      http://www.google.com/trends

      For some reason Japan is the biggest searcher for POPFILE by region ...
      perhaps because Popfile is designed to be multi-lingual and also due to
      an active user group who have made it that way.

      If you do the Google trends experiment, you'll see that Popfile is WAY,
      WAY, WAY, lower than its commercial "cousins".
      IMHO: because Popfile is free, and doesn't have *any* budget for promotion

      If anyone does:
      (a) download and try Popfile
      (b) adopt Popfile for long term use,
      -- based on this completely UNBIASED <grin> description please post back

      If the volume gets to high, I'll direct everyone to the Popfile
      users-help list and wiki and let everyone else get on with there serious
      OFF-TOPIC business!!

      --
      Regards ... Alec -- buralex(@gmail))
      --

      fw7oaks said the following on 2006-10-05 9:55:
      > I agree, it is good enough that I bought the Pro-version to handle my
      > IMAP accounts.
      >
      > fw
      >
      > --- Stan Blazejewski <stanblaz@...> wrote:
      >

      >> I can recommend MailWasher ..... the best part of it is that it
      >> deletes the mail
      >> 'at the server' so you're only downloading what you actually want.
      >> Available in the free & pro version.
      >>
      >> On Thu, 5 Oct 2006 14:55:59 +1000, you wrote:
      >>

      >>> Hi
      >>> anyone recommend a good email washer I think I have been got.

    • David Smart
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 6, 2006
        I've been using PopFile for a while (couple of years?) and run consistently
        around 98.75% success on the two computers I get mail on - using just a
        spam/non-spam split. Never gets as high as 99% or as low as 98.5% on the
        mix of mail I get. I like the program.

        Regards, Dave S

> [...]
        >
        > If anyone does:
        > (a) download and try Popfile
        > (b) adopt Popfile for long term use,
        > -- based on this completely UNBIASED <grin> description please post back
        >
        > If the volume gets to high, I'll direct everyone to the Popfile
        > users-help list and wiki and let everyone else get on with there serious
        > OFF-TOPIC business!!
        >
        > --
        > Regards ... Alec -- buralex(@gmail))
        > --
        >

        > fw7oaks said the following on 2006-10-05 9:55:
        >> I agree, it is good enough that I bought the Pro-version to handle my
        >> IMAP accounts.
        >>
        >> fw
        >>
        >> --- Stan Blazejewski <stanblaz@...> wrote:
        >>

        >>> I can recommend MailWasher ..... the best part of it is that it
        >>> deletes the mail
        >>> 'at the server' so you're only downloading what you actually want.

      • Alec Burgess\(g\)
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 6, 2006
          I think I lied when I said 99.5 (though I did get there once).
          I might get back to it if I can resist the temptation to keep tinkering
          with my buckets.

          Regards ... Alec -- buralex(@gmail))
          --

          David Smart said the following on 2006-10-06 9:04:
          > I've been using PopFile for a while (couple of years?) and run consistently
          > around 98.75% success on the two computers I get mail on - using just a
          > spam/non-spam split. Never gets as high as 99% or as low as 98.5% on the
          > mix of mail I get. I like the program.
          >
          > Regards, Dave S

        • David Smart
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 7, 2006
            Annoyingly my level of spam 57% is now significantly above my level of
            non-spam messages (stats since last reset on Aug 30th, with 8,500 messages
            received on my main computer). Probably 75% of the spam I receive is from
            unmoderated Yahoo groups and as inwards mail to a Yahoo mail account I keep
            for historical reasons. Fortunately, of those 8,500, only 56 false
            negatives and 54 false positives - pretty impressive. Unfortunately, the
            number of false positives means that I still need to do a quick scan of the
            spam folder to rescue ones that shouldn't have gone there - but that's OK -
            it doesn't take long. And I have some "kill" filters set in my Outlook
            Express too.

            Regards, Dave S