Re: [NTO] email narsties

  • fw7oaks
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 5, 2006
      I agree, it is good enough that I bought the Pro-version to handle my
      IMAP accounts.

      fw

      --- Stan Blazejewski <stanblaz@...> wrote:

      > I can recommend MailWasher ..... the best part of it is that it
      > deletes the mail
      > 'at the server' so you're only downloading what you actually want.
      > Available in the free & pro version.
      >
      > On Thu, 5 Oct 2006 14:55:59 +1000, you wrote:
      >
      > >Hi
      > >anyone recommend a good email washer I think I have been got.
      > >
      > > THANKYOU DAVE M
      > >

      > >Yahoo! Groups Links
      > >

      > --
      >
      > Australia isn't "down under", it's "off to one side"!
      >
      > stanblaz@...
      > www.cobracat.com (home of the Australian Cobra Catamaran)
      > www.parkdaleyc.com (where most of them sail)

    • Al ~Alvaro~ Guevara
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 5, 2006
        Very happy pro user I am.!

        Al (Alvaro) Guevara * www.Tucson-WebDesign.com
        SEO SERVICES: WebSite optimization, PayPerClick, Submission, Paid inclusion
        WEB SERVICES: Web Design, Web Hosting, E-mail, Webserver setup, Domains
        EBAY SERVICES: eBay tutoring, One time Sales, eBay Store setup,

        From: fw7oaks <fw7oaks@...>
        To: ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: Re: [NTO] email narsties

        >I agree, it is good enough that I bought the Pro-version to handle my
        >IMAP accounts.

        >fw

      • John Zeman
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 5, 2006
          --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, Stan Blazejewski <stanblaz@...>
          wrote:

          > I can recommend MailWasher ..... the best part of it is that it
          deletes the mail
          > 'at the server' so you're only downloading what you actually want.
          > Available in the free & pro version.

          Ditto from me. I've been using MailWasher since its beta days.

          John
        • Alec Burgess\(g\)
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 5, 2006
            POPFILE --- POPFILE --- POPFILE --- POPFILE --- POPFILE --- POPFILE ---
            POPFILE --- POPFILE --- POPFILE :-)

            A sourceforge open-source solution (Google for it) Coded in Perl -
            principal developer John Graham Cummings - its been evolving for the las
            four years or so. I get 99.6% spam clean rate.

            Downside - it does take a while to "train". If you just use it for
            SPAM/NOT SPAM decision around 200 emails each of Spam and not-Spam
            should (based on my and others experience) get you to the 99%+ level.
            (It will also sort your mail into (say) Spam, Personal, Work, Newsgroups
            etc.) if setup that way.

            Note: its probably NOT a great solution if you are on a low speed
            telephone line, since Popfile needs to download the whole message to do
            its analysis - initially assisted by you the user. Popfile puts
            identifying tokens in special headers (or in the subject line) - you
            setup filters based on headers (in non Outlook Express email clients) or
            based on modified subject line in Outlook Express to move [spam] to a
            Spam-folder. After you gain confidence in Popfile's decisions you can
            delete spam email after a quick visual scan of the subject lines.

            Note: after getting my new computer (a month ago) I restarted POPFILE's
            database and I'm now at 95% accuracy.
            More for fun than any other reason - I analyze incoming mails as:

            fyi ------ good-list ------ good-list_b ------ nogood-foreign
            nogood-fwds ------------ nogood-fyi ------ nogood-list
            nogood-my_testing ------ pat ----- per --------- spam-drugs
            spam-empty ------ spam-merch ------ spam-other
            spam-phish spam-porn_text ------ spam-stocks ------ spam-yahoo_grps

            Note: "pat" is my wife, "per" is personal, "fyi" are monthly reminders,
            etc. etc. that normally don't require action the other:
            spam-....... and nogood-....... are self-explanatory (I think).

            No URL's - as I said google for it. Also try looking at Popfile and
            other spam programs using:
            Google Trends - "See what the world is searching for."
            http://www.google.com/trends

            For some reason Japan is the biggest searcher for POPFILE by region ...
            perhaps because Popfile is designed to be multi-lingual and also due to
            an active user group who have made it that way.

            If you do the Google trends experiment, you'll see that Popfile is WAY,
            WAY, WAY, lower than its commercial "cousins".
            IMHO: because Popfile is free, and doesn't have *any* budget for promotion

            If anyone does:
            (a) download and try Popfile
            (b) adopt Popfile for long term use,
            -- based on this completely UNBIASED <grin> description please post back

            If the volume gets to high, I'll direct everyone to the Popfile
            users-help list and wiki and let everyone else get on with there serious
            OFF-TOPIC business!!

            --
            Regards ... Alec -- buralex(@gmail))
            --

            fw7oaks said the following on 2006-10-05 9:55:
            > I agree, it is good enough that I bought the Pro-version to handle my
            > IMAP accounts.
            >
            > fw
            >
            > --- Stan Blazejewski <stanblaz@...> wrote:
            >

            >> I can recommend MailWasher ..... the best part of it is that it
            >> deletes the mail
            >> 'at the server' so you're only downloading what you actually want.
            >> Available in the free & pro version.
            >>
            >> On Thu, 5 Oct 2006 14:55:59 +1000, you wrote:
            >>

            >>> Hi
            >>> anyone recommend a good email washer I think I have been got.

          • David Smart
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 6, 2006
              I've been using PopFile for a while (couple of years?) and run consistently
              around 98.75% success on the two computers I get mail on - using just a
              spam/non-spam split. Never gets as high as 99% or as low as 98.5% on the
              mix of mail I get. I like the program.

              Regards, Dave S

> [...]
              >
              > If anyone does:
              > (a) download and try Popfile
              > (b) adopt Popfile for long term use,
              > -- based on this completely UNBIASED <grin> description please post back
              >
              > If the volume gets to high, I'll direct everyone to the Popfile
              > users-help list and wiki and let everyone else get on with there serious
              > OFF-TOPIC business!!
              >
              > --
              > Regards ... Alec -- buralex(@gmail))
              > --
              >

              > fw7oaks said the following on 2006-10-05 9:55:
              >> I agree, it is good enough that I bought the Pro-version to handle my
              >> IMAP accounts.
              >>
              >> fw
              >>
              >> --- Stan Blazejewski <stanblaz@...> wrote:
              >>

              >>> I can recommend MailWasher ..... the best part of it is that it
              >>> deletes the mail
              >>> 'at the server' so you're only downloading what you actually want.

            • Alec Burgess\(g\)
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 6, 2006
                I think I lied when I said 99.5 (though I did get there once).
                I might get back to it if I can resist the temptation to keep tinkering
                with my buckets.

                Regards ... Alec -- buralex(@gmail))
                --

                David Smart said the following on 2006-10-06 9:04:
                > I've been using PopFile for a while (couple of years?) and run consistently
                > around 98.75% success on the two computers I get mail on - using just a
                > spam/non-spam split. Never gets as high as 99% or as low as 98.5% on the
                > mix of mail I get. I like the program.
                >
                > Regards, Dave S

              • David Smart
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 7, 2006
                  Annoyingly my level of spam 57% is now significantly above my level of
                  non-spam messages (stats since last reset on Aug 30th, with 8,500 messages
                  received on my main computer). Probably 75% of the spam I receive is from
                  unmoderated Yahoo groups and as inwards mail to a Yahoo mail account I keep
                  for historical reasons. Fortunately, of those 8,500, only 56 false
                  negatives and 54 false positives - pretty impressive. Unfortunately, the
                  number of false positives means that I still need to do a quick scan of the
                  spam folder to rescue ones that shouldn't have gone there - but that's OK -
                  it doesn't take long. And I have some "kill" filters set in my Outlook
                  Express too.

                  Regards, Dave S