Re: [NTO] email narsties

  • Stan Blazejewski
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 5, 2006
      I can recommend MailWasher ..... the best part of it is that it deletes the mail
      'at the server' so you're only downloading what you actually want.
      Available in the free & pro version.

      On Thu, 5 Oct 2006 14:55:59 +1000, you wrote:

      >Hi
      >anyone recommend a good email washer I think I have been got.
      >
      > THANKYOU DAVE M
      >

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

      stanblaz@...
      www.parkdaleyc.com (where most of them sail)
    • fw7oaks
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 5, 2006
        I agree, it is good enough that I bought the Pro-version to handle my
        IMAP accounts.

        fw

        --- Stan Blazejewski <stanblaz@...> wrote:

        > I can recommend MailWasher ..... the best part of it is that it
        > deletes the mail
        > 'at the server' so you're only downloading what you actually want.
        > Available in the free & pro version.
        >
        > On Thu, 5 Oct 2006 14:55:59 +1000, you wrote:
        >
        > >Hi
        > >anyone recommend a good email washer I think I have been got.
        > >
        > > THANKYOU DAVE M
        > >

        > >Yahoo! Groups Links
        > >

        > --
        >
        > Australia isn't "down under", it's "off to one side"!
        >
        > stanblaz@...
        > www.cobracat.com (home of the Australian Cobra Catamaran)
        > www.parkdaleyc.com (where most of them sail)

      • Al ~Alvaro~ Guevara
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 5, 2006
          Very happy pro user I am.!

          Al (Alvaro) Guevara * www.Tucson-WebDesign.com
          SEO SERVICES: WebSite optimization, PayPerClick, Submission, Paid inclusion
          WEB SERVICES: Web Design, Web Hosting, E-mail, Webserver setup, Domains
          EBAY SERVICES: eBay tutoring, One time Sales, eBay Store setup,

          From: fw7oaks <fw7oaks@...>
          To: ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: Re: [NTO] email narsties

          >I agree, it is good enough that I bought the Pro-version to handle my
          >IMAP accounts.

          >fw

        • John Zeman
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 5, 2006
            --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, Stan Blazejewski <stanblaz@...>
            wrote:

            > I can recommend MailWasher ..... the best part of it is that it
            deletes the mail
            > 'at the server' so you're only downloading what you actually want.
            > Available in the free & pro version.

            Ditto from me. I've been using MailWasher since its beta days.

            John
          • Alec Burgess\(g\)
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 5, 2006
              POPFILE --- POPFILE --- POPFILE --- POPFILE --- POPFILE --- POPFILE ---
              POPFILE --- POPFILE --- POPFILE :-)

              A sourceforge open-source solution (Google for it) Coded in Perl -
              principal developer John Graham Cummings - its been evolving for the las
              four years or so. I get 99.6% spam clean rate.

              Downside - it does take a while to "train". If you just use it for
              SPAM/NOT SPAM decision around 200 emails each of Spam and not-Spam
              should (based on my and others experience) get you to the 99%+ level.
              (It will also sort your mail into (say) Spam, Personal, Work, Newsgroups
              etc.) if setup that way.

              Note: its probably NOT a great solution if you are on a low speed
              telephone line, since Popfile needs to download the whole message to do
              its analysis - initially assisted by you the user. Popfile puts
              identifying tokens in special headers (or in the subject line) - you
              setup filters based on headers (in non Outlook Express email clients) or
              based on modified subject line in Outlook Express to move [spam] to a
              Spam-folder. After you gain confidence in Popfile's decisions you can
              delete spam email after a quick visual scan of the subject lines.

              Note: after getting my new computer (a month ago) I restarted POPFILE's
              database and I'm now at 95% accuracy.
              More for fun than any other reason - I analyze incoming mails as:

              fyi ------ good-list ------ good-list_b ------ nogood-foreign
              nogood-fwds ------------ nogood-fyi ------ nogood-list
              nogood-my_testing ------ pat ----- per --------- spam-drugs
              spam-empty ------ spam-merch ------ spam-other
              spam-phish spam-porn_text ------ spam-stocks ------ spam-yahoo_grps

              Note: "pat" is my wife, "per" is personal, "fyi" are monthly reminders,
              etc. etc. that normally don't require action the other:
              spam-....... and nogood-....... are self-explanatory (I think).

              No URL's - as I said google for it. Also try looking at Popfile and
              other spam programs using:
              Google Trends - "See what the world is searching for."
              http://www.google.com/trends

              For some reason Japan is the biggest searcher for POPFILE by region ...
              perhaps because Popfile is designed to be multi-lingual and also due to
              an active user group who have made it that way.

              If you do the Google trends experiment, you'll see that Popfile is WAY,
              WAY, WAY, lower than its commercial "cousins".
              IMHO: because Popfile is free, and doesn't have *any* budget for promotion

              If anyone does:
              (a) download and try Popfile
              (b) adopt Popfile for long term use,
              -- based on this completely UNBIASED <grin> description please post back

              If the volume gets to high, I'll direct everyone to the Popfile
              users-help list and wiki and let everyone else get on with there serious
              OFF-TOPIC business!!

              --
              Regards ... Alec -- buralex(@gmail))
              --

              fw7oaks said the following on 2006-10-05 9:55:
              > I agree, it is good enough that I bought the Pro-version to handle my
              > IMAP accounts.
              >
              > fw
              >
              > --- Stan Blazejewski <stanblaz@...> wrote:
              >

              >> I can recommend MailWasher ..... the best part of it is that it
              >> deletes the mail
              >> 'at the server' so you're only downloading what you actually want.
              >> Available in the free & pro version.
              >>
              >> On Thu, 5 Oct 2006 14:55:59 +1000, you wrote:
              >>

              >>> Hi
              >>> anyone recommend a good email washer I think I have been got.

            • David Smart
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 6, 2006
                I've been using PopFile for a while (couple of years?) and run consistently
                around 98.75% success on the two computers I get mail on - using just a
                spam/non-spam split. Never gets as high as 99% or as low as 98.5% on the
                mix of mail I get. I like the program.

                Regards, Dave S

> [...]
                >
                > If anyone does:
                > (a) download and try Popfile
                > (b) adopt Popfile for long term use,
                > -- based on this completely UNBIASED <grin> description please post back
                >
                > If the volume gets to high, I'll direct everyone to the Popfile
                > users-help list and wiki and let everyone else get on with there serious
                > OFF-TOPIC business!!
                >
                > --
                > Regards ... Alec -- buralex(@gmail))
                > --
                >

                > fw7oaks said the following on 2006-10-05 9:55:
                >> I agree, it is good enough that I bought the Pro-version to handle my
                >> IMAP accounts.
                >>
                >> fw
                >>
                >> --- Stan Blazejewski <stanblaz@...> wrote:
                >>

                >>> I can recommend MailWasher ..... the best part of it is that it
                >>> deletes the mail
                >>> 'at the server' so you're only downloading what you actually want.

              • Alec Burgess\(g\)
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 6, 2006
                  I think I lied when I said 99.5 (though I did get there once).
                  I might get back to it if I can resist the temptation to keep tinkering
                  with my buckets.

                  Regards ... Alec -- buralex(@gmail))
                  --

                  David Smart said the following on 2006-10-06 9:04:
                  > I've been using PopFile for a while (couple of years?) and run consistently
                  > around 98.75% success on the two computers I get mail on - using just a
                  > spam/non-spam split. Never gets as high as 99% or as low as 98.5% on the
                  > mix of mail I get. I like the program.
                  >
                  > Regards, Dave S

                • David Smart
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 7, 2006
                    Annoyingly my level of spam 57% is now significantly above my level of
                    non-spam messages (stats since last reset on Aug 30th, with 8,500 messages
                    received on my main computer). Probably 75% of the spam I receive is from
                    unmoderated Yahoo groups and as inwards mail to a Yahoo mail account I keep
                    for historical reasons. Fortunately, of those 8,500, only 56 false
                    negatives and 54 false positives - pretty impressive. Unfortunately, the
                    number of false positives means that I still need to do a quick scan of the
                    spam folder to rescue ones that shouldn't have gone there - but that's OK -
                    it doesn't take long. And I have some "kill" filters set in my Outlook
                    Express too.

                    Regards, Dave S