Re: [NTO] benefits of disk imaging?

  • Al ~Alvaro~ Guevara
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 2, 2006
      Thanks for the long explanation, I'm behind the times Windows wise it seems.

      >Else, you can use the XP File And Settings Transfer Wizard
      >And using ATI will allow you to explore your image down

      Are both the above Windows deals?

      Al

      From: "Brian Binder" <brian.binder@...>
      To: ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [NTO] benefits of disk imaging?

      >Because you can't simply swap drives in an XP environment like you could
      >with Windows 98.

      >Windows 98 would normally redetect things upon the new boot with no real
      >issues minus the driver support. You had to load up all new drivers if
      >the system was really different. This was also not a clean approach at
      >all because you'd have "ghost" hardware that existed.

      >With Windows XP, most of the times this process is illegal.

      >Most people buy Windows XP's OEM version with whatever PC they buy
      >because the cost is less than a retail copy. OEM licenses are bound to
      >the hardware, so if you throw your HD in another PC, you are breaking
      >the terms of the EULA under an OEM license environment.

      >Also, when you initially boot Windows XP in the new system, chances are
      >it's just going to BSOD because of the clash of hardware. It doesn't
      >act the same as Windows 98 so ... those are a few reasons on why to do
      >all that.

      >I too, use Acronis True Image and think it's fantastic. I can offer
      >that they have a "Universal Restore" feature that allows you to simply
      >restore everything from your image onto a new drive with dissimilar
      >hardware. As much as I love their product, I have YET to hear anyone
      >from Acronis explain it ... period. No one seems to understand how it
      >works. The forums are even scarce on the subject.

      >I'd really want to know the intricacies of the "plugin" before I'd
      >consider purchasing it.

      >Else, you can use the XP File And Settings Transfer Wizard for some of
      >your settings and programs.

      >And using ATI will allow you to explore your image down the road so you
      >can simply restore certain sections of your directory trees where your
      >settings were stored.

      >There's options...I do it for people all the time with great results.

      >Al ~Alvaro~ Guevara wrote:
      >>

      >> Why do all that when you can simply swap HD's in 10 minutes?
      >>
      >> Al

    • Brian Binder
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 2, 2006
        It kinda stinks doesn't it? More and more restrictive. Think of how
        much more MS would do if people didn't complain about some of their
        practices.

        ATI is Acronis True Image from http://www.acronis.com and the FAST
        Wizard is on the Windows XP CD. ;)

        Al ~Alvaro~ Guevara wrote:

        > Thanks for the long explanation, I'm behind the times Windows wise it seems.
        >
        >>Else, you can use the XP File And Settings Transfer Wizard
        >>And using ATI will allow you to explore your image down
        >
        > Are both the above Windows deals?
        >
        > Al
      • Al ~Alvaro~ Guevara
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 3, 2006
          Wonder why no-one mentions Ghost?
          But it sure does El Sucko, yes.
          I was going to take my Dell 80 gig C-drive and put it on my new home built ATX Micro portable "Scream machine I just assembled.

          Crap! Guess I gotta go buy that True Image deal

          Al

          From: "Brian Binder" <brian.binder@...>
          To: ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com

          >It kinda stinks doesn't it? More and more restrictive. Think of how
          >much more MS would do if people didn't complain about some of their
          >practices.

          >ATI is Acronis True Image from http://www.acronis.com and the FAST
          >Wizard is on the Windows XP CD. ;)

          >Al ~Alvaro~ Guevara wrote:
          >>

          >> Thanks for the long explanation, I'm behind the times Windows wise it seems.
          >>
          >>>Else, you can use the XP File And Settings Transfer Wizard
          >>>And using ATI will allow you to explore your image down
          >>
          >> Are both the above Windows deals?
          >>
          >> Al

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Brian Binder
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 3, 2006
            One of my biggest arguments from Ghost is that it gives you a bootable
            CD that doesn't allow you to create images with. <rolls eyes>

            ATI gives you network support, FTP support (in the newest version) and
            widespread hardware support for all types of hardware on a nice Linux
            kernel with fantastic hardware detection.

            Ghost still lacks in all those departments for different reasons.

            Al ~Alvaro~ Guevara wrote:

            > Wonder why no-one mentions Ghost?
            > But it sure does El Sucko, yes.
            > I was going to take my Dell 80 gig C-drive and put it on my new home
            > built ATX Micro portable "Scream machine I just assembled.
            >
            > Crap! Guess I gotta go buy that True Image deal
            >
            > Al

            > From: "Brian Binder" <brian.binder@...
            > <mailto:brian.binder%40gmail.com>>
            > To: ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ntb-OffTopic%40yahoogroups.com>
            > Subject: Re: [NTO] benefits of disk imaging?
            >
            >>It kinda stinks doesn't it? More and more restrictive. Think of how
            >>much more MS would do if people didn't complain about some of their
            >>practices.
            >
            >>ATI is Acronis True Image from http://www.acronis.com
            > <http://www.acronis.com> and the FAST
            >>Wizard is on the Windows XP CD. ;)
            >
            >>Al ~Alvaro~ Guevara wrote:
            >>>

            >>> Thanks for the long explanation, I'm behind the times Windows wise it
            > seems.

            >>> Are both the above Windows deals?
            >>>
            >>> Al
            >

            >>Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Al ~Alvaro~ Guevara
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 3, 2006
              Thanks Brian!

              Al

              From: "Brian Binder" <brian.binder@...>
              To: ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com

              >One of my biggest arguments from Ghost is that it gives you a bootable
              >CD that doesn't allow you to create images with. <rolls eyes>

              >ATI gives you network support, FTP support (in the newest version) and
              >widespread hardware support for all types of hardware on a nice Linux
              >kernel with fantastic hardware detection.

              >Ghost still lacks in all those departments for different reasons.

              >Al ~Alvaro~ Guevara wrote:
              >>

              >> Wonder why no-one mentions Ghost?
              >> But it sure does El Sucko, yes.
              >> I was going to take my Dell 80 gig C-drive and put it on my new home
              >> built ATX Micro portable "Scream machine I just assembled.
              >>
              >> Crap! Guess I gotta go buy that True Image deal
              >>
              >> Al

            • Brian Binder
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 3, 2006
                Sure! ;)

                More reading: ( and yes, I know it looks bad seeing as it comes from
                Acronis' site :P )

                http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/reviews.html
                http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/company/inpress/2006/04-02-en.html