Re: [NTO] benefits of disk imaging?

  • Alan_C
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 2, 2006
      On Monday 02 October 2006 07:05, Dean Martineau wrote:
      > I will be buying a new computer soon, running xp pro. I would love
      > to minimize the agonizing re-install of all my favorite apps and
      > their settings. I have the impression that there is no way around
      > this,

      There is software to aid in the copy/xfer of your data from former box to new
      machine. but they mostly somehow "hook" the 2 'puters together like via a
      serial port cable or else network the 2 machines.

      Win XP (or is it Win 2K) has a built in (native) software to aid in copy/xfer
      data and personal settings from fomer to a new 'puter. But I'm unfamiliar
      with this software.

      I've never used those types of software.

      What I do is I usually copy my data and do very similar to like how John
      Mitchell explained, whenever I need to get migrated over to a new machine.

      > but can some of it be lessened by imaging the curent hard drive
      > and restoring all or part of its contents to the new system?

      Typically an HD imaging is not used for that. This is not to say that your
      data could not be xferred in this manner.

      But there likely (there are) easier ways to get your data xferred.

      And the use of imaging the hard drive is very well explained by hopefully you
      saw John Mitchell's post, in that post 2nd paragraph about "take an image
      snapshot".

      That, John's paragraph, is the same purpose (for HD imaging software) that I
      had meant to be about/for in my other post about Acronis True Image.

      Alan.
    • Brian Binder
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 2, 2006
        Because you can't simply swap drives in an XP environment like you could
        with Windows 98.

        Windows 98 would normally redetect things upon the new boot with no real
        issues minus the driver support. You had to load up all new drivers if
        the system was really different. This was also not a clean approach at
        all because you'd have "ghost" hardware that existed.

        With Windows XP, most of the times this process is illegal.

        Most people buy Windows XP's OEM version with whatever PC they buy
        because the cost is less than a retail copy. OEM licenses are bound to
        the hardware, so if you throw your HD in another PC, you are breaking
        the terms of the EULA under an OEM license environment.

        Also, when you initially boot Windows XP in the new system, chances are
        it's just going to BSOD because of the clash of hardware. It doesn't
        act the same as Windows 98 so ... those are a few reasons on why to do
        all that.

        I too, use Acronis True Image and think it's fantastic. I can offer
        that they have a "Universal Restore" feature that allows you to simply
        restore everything from your image onto a new drive with dissimilar
        hardware. As much as I love their product, I have YET to hear anyone
        from Acronis explain it ... period. No one seems to understand how it
        works. The forums are even scarce on the subject.

        I'd really want to know the intricacies of the "plugin" before I'd
        consider purchasing it.

        Else, you can use the XP File And Settings Transfer Wizard for some of
        your settings and programs.

        And using ATI will allow you to explore your image down the road so you
        can simply restore certain sections of your directory trees where your
        settings were stored.

        There's options...I do it for people all the time with great results.

        Al ~Alvaro~ Guevara wrote:

        > Why do all that when you can simply swap HD's in 10 minutes?
        >
        > Al

        > From: "Dean Martineau" <dean92@...
        > <mailto:dean92%40earthlink.net>>
        > To: ntb-offtopic@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ntb-offtopic%40yahoogroups.com>
        > Subject: [NTO] benefits of disk imaging?
        >
        >>I will be buying a new computer soon, running xp pro. I would love
        >>to minimize the agonizing re-install of all my favorite apps and
        >>their settings. I have the impression that there is no way around
        >>this, but can some of it be lessened by imaging the curent hard drive
        >>and restoring all or part of its contents to the new system?
        >
        >>thanks for any wisdom.
        >
        >>Dean
      • Al ~Alvaro~ Guevara
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 2, 2006
          Thanks for the long explanation, I'm behind the times Windows wise it seems.

          >Else, you can use the XP File And Settings Transfer Wizard
          >And using ATI will allow you to explore your image down

          Are both the above Windows deals?

          Al

          From: "Brian Binder" <brian.binder@...>
          To: ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: Re: [NTO] benefits of disk imaging?

          >Because you can't simply swap drives in an XP environment like you could
          >with Windows 98.

          >Windows 98 would normally redetect things upon the new boot with no real
          >issues minus the driver support. You had to load up all new drivers if
          >the system was really different. This was also not a clean approach at
          >all because you'd have "ghost" hardware that existed.

          >With Windows XP, most of the times this process is illegal.

          >Most people buy Windows XP's OEM version with whatever PC they buy
          >because the cost is less than a retail copy. OEM licenses are bound to
          >the hardware, so if you throw your HD in another PC, you are breaking
          >the terms of the EULA under an OEM license environment.

          >Also, when you initially boot Windows XP in the new system, chances are
          >it's just going to BSOD because of the clash of hardware. It doesn't
          >act the same as Windows 98 so ... those are a few reasons on why to do
          >all that.

          >I too, use Acronis True Image and think it's fantastic. I can offer
          >that they have a "Universal Restore" feature that allows you to simply
          >restore everything from your image onto a new drive with dissimilar
          >hardware. As much as I love their product, I have YET to hear anyone
          >from Acronis explain it ... period. No one seems to understand how it
          >works. The forums are even scarce on the subject.

          >I'd really want to know the intricacies of the "plugin" before I'd
          >consider purchasing it.

          >Else, you can use the XP File And Settings Transfer Wizard for some of
          >your settings and programs.

          >And using ATI will allow you to explore your image down the road so you
          >can simply restore certain sections of your directory trees where your
          >settings were stored.

          >There's options...I do it for people all the time with great results.

          >Al ~Alvaro~ Guevara wrote:
          >>

          >> Why do all that when you can simply swap HD's in 10 minutes?
          >>
          >> Al

        • Brian Binder
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 2, 2006
            It kinda stinks doesn't it? More and more restrictive. Think of how
            much more MS would do if people didn't complain about some of their
            practices.

            ATI is Acronis True Image from http://www.acronis.com and the FAST
            Wizard is on the Windows XP CD. ;)

            Al ~Alvaro~ Guevara wrote:

            > Thanks for the long explanation, I'm behind the times Windows wise it seems.
            >
            >>Else, you can use the XP File And Settings Transfer Wizard
            >>And using ATI will allow you to explore your image down
            >
            > Are both the above Windows deals?
            >
            > Al
          • Al ~Alvaro~ Guevara
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 3, 2006
              Wonder why no-one mentions Ghost?
              But it sure does El Sucko, yes.
              I was going to take my Dell 80 gig C-drive and put it on my new home built ATX Micro portable "Scream machine I just assembled.

              Crap! Guess I gotta go buy that True Image deal

              Al

              From: "Brian Binder" <brian.binder@...>
              To: ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com

              >It kinda stinks doesn't it? More and more restrictive. Think of how
              >much more MS would do if people didn't complain about some of their
              >practices.

              >ATI is Acronis True Image from http://www.acronis.com and the FAST
              >Wizard is on the Windows XP CD. ;)

              >Al ~Alvaro~ Guevara wrote:
              >>

              >> Thanks for the long explanation, I'm behind the times Windows wise it seems.
              >>
              >>>Else, you can use the XP File And Settings Transfer Wizard
              >>>And using ATI will allow you to explore your image down
              >>
              >> Are both the above Windows deals?
              >>
              >> Al

              >Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Brian Binder
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 3, 2006
                One of my biggest arguments from Ghost is that it gives you a bootable
                CD that doesn't allow you to create images with. <rolls eyes>

                ATI gives you network support, FTP support (in the newest version) and
                widespread hardware support for all types of hardware on a nice Linux
                kernel with fantastic hardware detection.

                Ghost still lacks in all those departments for different reasons.

                Al ~Alvaro~ Guevara wrote:

                > Wonder why no-one mentions Ghost?
                > But it sure does El Sucko, yes.
                > I was going to take my Dell 80 gig C-drive and put it on my new home
                > built ATX Micro portable "Scream machine I just assembled.
                >
                > Crap! Guess I gotta go buy that True Image deal
                >
                > Al

                > From: "Brian Binder" <brian.binder@...
                > <mailto:brian.binder%40gmail.com>>
                > To: ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ntb-OffTopic%40yahoogroups.com>
                > Subject: Re: [NTO] benefits of disk imaging?
                >
                >>It kinda stinks doesn't it? More and more restrictive. Think of how
                >>much more MS would do if people didn't complain about some of their
                >>practices.
                >
                >>ATI is Acronis True Image from http://www.acronis.com
                > <http://www.acronis.com> and the FAST
                >>Wizard is on the Windows XP CD. ;)
                >
                >>Al ~Alvaro~ Guevara wrote:
                >>>

                >>> Thanks for the long explanation, I'm behind the times Windows wise it
                > seems.

                >>> Are both the above Windows deals?
                >>>
                >>> Al
                >

                >>Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Al ~Alvaro~ Guevara
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 3, 2006
                  Thanks Brian!

                  Al

                  From: "Brian Binder" <brian.binder@...>
                  To: ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com

                  >One of my biggest arguments from Ghost is that it gives you a bootable
                  >CD that doesn't allow you to create images with. <rolls eyes>

                  >ATI gives you network support, FTP support (in the newest version) and
                  >widespread hardware support for all types of hardware on a nice Linux
                  >kernel with fantastic hardware detection.

                  >Ghost still lacks in all those departments for different reasons.

                  >Al ~Alvaro~ Guevara wrote:
                  >>

                  >> Wonder why no-one mentions Ghost?
                  >> But it sure does El Sucko, yes.
                  >> I was going to take my Dell 80 gig C-drive and put it on my new home
                  >> built ATX Micro portable "Scream machine I just assembled.
                  >>
                  >> Crap! Guess I gotta go buy that True Image deal
                  >>
                  >> Al

                • Brian Binder
                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 3, 2006
                    Sure! ;)

                    More reading: ( and yes, I know it looks bad seeing as it comes from
                    Acronis' site :P )

                    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/reviews.html
                    http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/company/inpress/2006/04-02-en.html