Re: [NTO] benefits of disk imaging?

  • John Mitchell
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 2, 2006
      Dean

      Most people have no more than half a dozen "must have" applications. I'd
      rather go through the relatively mild pain of reinstalling those on a
      nice new clean system, than any method that involves reusing the old
      system on a new machine. As far as data is concerned, you can easily
      network the old system with the new system and simply copy your files
      across.

      What *is* well worth doing is to take an image snapshot of your new
      system (a) before you do anything to it and (b) as soon as you are
      comfortable that you have a stable configuration complete with your
      favourite applications. That way you can easily get back to a working
      system, should anything untoward happen. My personal favourite imaging
      tool is a toss up between BootitNG and Image for Windows, available
      separately or bundled at http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/

      Something else worth considering if you expect to be doing a few XP
      installs/updates (e.g. updating your new system, and refreshing or
      rebuilding your old system) is the excellent Autopatcher
      (http://www.autopatcher.com/) and once you have a full Autopatcher base
      you can easily keep it up to date with a small monthly supplemental
      download. If, for example, you had occasion in 6 months time to restore
      to the snapshot you took in (b) above, it would be a matter of minutes
      with Autopatcher to bring that system back up to full currency. It also
      means you can switch off Microsoft's automatic update system which will
      save you many unexpected downloads and reboots and avoids the risk of MS
      installing something they think is good for you (e.g. Windows Genuine
      Advantage) without your say so.

      Regards, John M

      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 2, 2006
        On Monday 02 October 2006 07:05, Dean Martineau wrote:
        > I will be buying a new computer soon, running xp pro. I would love
        > to minimize the agonizing re-install of all my favorite apps and
        > their settings. I have the impression that there is no way around
        > this,

        There is software to aid in the copy/xfer of your data from former box to new
        machine. but they mostly somehow "hook" the 2 'puters together like via a
        serial port cable or else network the 2 machines.

        Win XP (or is it Win 2K) has a built in (native) software to aid in copy/xfer
        data and personal settings from fomer to a new 'puter. But I'm unfamiliar
        with this software.

        I've never used those types of software.

        What I do is I usually copy my data and do very similar to like how John
        Mitchell explained, whenever I need to get migrated over to a new machine.

        > but can some of it be lessened by imaging the curent hard drive
        > and restoring all or part of its contents to the new system?

        Typically an HD imaging is not used for that. This is not to say that your
        data could not be xferred in this manner.

        But there likely (there are) easier ways to get your data xferred.

        And the use of imaging the hard drive is very well explained by hopefully you
        saw John Mitchell's post, in that post 2nd paragraph about "take an image
        snapshot".

        That, John's paragraph, is the same purpose (for HD imaging software) that I
        had meant to be about/for in my other post about Acronis True Image.

        Alan.
      • Brian Binder
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 2, 2006
          Because you can't simply swap drives in an XP environment like you could
          with Windows 98.

          Windows 98 would normally redetect things upon the new boot with no real
          issues minus the driver support. You had to load up all new drivers if
          the system was really different. This was also not a clean approach at
          all because you'd have "ghost" hardware that existed.

          With Windows XP, most of the times this process is illegal.

          Most people buy Windows XP's OEM version with whatever PC they buy
          because the cost is less than a retail copy. OEM licenses are bound to
          the hardware, so if you throw your HD in another PC, you are breaking
          the terms of the EULA under an OEM license environment.

          Also, when you initially boot Windows XP in the new system, chances are
          it's just going to BSOD because of the clash of hardware. It doesn't
          act the same as Windows 98 so ... those are a few reasons on why to do
          all that.

          I too, use Acronis True Image and think it's fantastic. I can offer
          that they have a "Universal Restore" feature that allows you to simply
          restore everything from your image onto a new drive with dissimilar
          hardware. As much as I love their product, I have YET to hear anyone
          from Acronis explain it ... period. No one seems to understand how it
          works. The forums are even scarce on the subject.

          I'd really want to know the intricacies of the "plugin" before I'd
          consider purchasing it.

          Else, you can use the XP File And Settings Transfer Wizard for some of
          your settings and programs.

          And using ATI will allow you to explore your image down the road so you
          can simply restore certain sections of your directory trees where your
          settings were stored.

          There's options...I do it for people all the time with great results.

          Al ~Alvaro~ Guevara wrote:

          > Why do all that when you can simply swap HD's in 10 minutes?
          >
          > Al

          > From: "Dean Martineau" <dean92@...
          > <mailto:dean92%40earthlink.net>>
          > To: ntb-offtopic@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ntb-offtopic%40yahoogroups.com>
          > Subject: [NTO] benefits of disk imaging?
          >
          >>I will be buying a new computer soon, running xp pro. I would love
          >>to minimize the agonizing re-install of all my favorite apps and
          >>their settings. I have the impression that there is no way around
          >>this, but can some of it be lessened by imaging the curent hard drive
          >>and restoring all or part of its contents to the new system?
          >
          >>thanks for any wisdom.
          >
          >>Dean
        • Al ~Alvaro~ Guevara
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 2, 2006
            Thanks for the long explanation, I'm behind the times Windows wise it seems.

            >Else, you can use the XP File And Settings Transfer Wizard
            >And using ATI will allow you to explore your image down

            Are both the above Windows deals?

            Al

            From: "Brian Binder" <brian.binder@...>
            To: ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com
            Subject: Re: [NTO] benefits of disk imaging?

            >Because you can't simply swap drives in an XP environment like you could
            >with Windows 98.

            >Windows 98 would normally redetect things upon the new boot with no real
            >issues minus the driver support. You had to load up all new drivers if
            >the system was really different. This was also not a clean approach at
            >all because you'd have "ghost" hardware that existed.

            >With Windows XP, most of the times this process is illegal.

            >Most people buy Windows XP's OEM version with whatever PC they buy
            >because the cost is less than a retail copy. OEM licenses are bound to
            >the hardware, so if you throw your HD in another PC, you are breaking
            >the terms of the EULA under an OEM license environment.

            >Also, when you initially boot Windows XP in the new system, chances are
            >it's just going to BSOD because of the clash of hardware. It doesn't
            >act the same as Windows 98 so ... those are a few reasons on why to do
            >all that.

            >I too, use Acronis True Image and think it's fantastic. I can offer
            >that they have a "Universal Restore" feature that allows you to simply
            >restore everything from your image onto a new drive with dissimilar
            >hardware. As much as I love their product, I have YET to hear anyone
            >from Acronis explain it ... period. No one seems to understand how it
            >works. The forums are even scarce on the subject.

            >I'd really want to know the intricacies of the "plugin" before I'd
            >consider purchasing it.

            >Else, you can use the XP File And Settings Transfer Wizard for some of
            >your settings and programs.

            >And using ATI will allow you to explore your image down the road so you
            >can simply restore certain sections of your directory trees where your
            >settings were stored.

            >There's options...I do it for people all the time with great results.

            >Al ~Alvaro~ Guevara wrote:
            >>

            >> Why do all that when you can simply swap HD's in 10 minutes?
            >>
            >> Al

          • Brian Binder
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 2, 2006
              It kinda stinks doesn't it? More and more restrictive. Think of how
              much more MS would do if people didn't complain about some of their
              practices.

              ATI is Acronis True Image from http://www.acronis.com and the FAST
              Wizard is on the Windows XP CD. ;)

              Al ~Alvaro~ Guevara wrote:

              > Thanks for the long explanation, I'm behind the times Windows wise it seems.
              >
              >>Else, you can use the XP File And Settings Transfer Wizard
              >>And using ATI will allow you to explore your image down
              >
              > Are both the above Windows deals?
              >
              > Al
            • Al ~Alvaro~ Guevara
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 3, 2006
                Wonder why no-one mentions Ghost?
                But it sure does El Sucko, yes.
                I was going to take my Dell 80 gig C-drive and put it on my new home built ATX Micro portable "Scream machine I just assembled.

                Crap! Guess I gotta go buy that True Image deal

                Al

                From: "Brian Binder" <brian.binder@...>
                To: ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com

                >It kinda stinks doesn't it? More and more restrictive. Think of how
                >much more MS would do if people didn't complain about some of their
                >practices.

                >ATI is Acronis True Image from http://www.acronis.com and the FAST
                >Wizard is on the Windows XP CD. ;)

                >Al ~Alvaro~ Guevara wrote:
                >>

                >> Thanks for the long explanation, I'm behind the times Windows wise it seems.
                >>
                >>>Else, you can use the XP File And Settings Transfer Wizard
                >>>And using ATI will allow you to explore your image down
                >>
                >> Are both the above Windows deals?
                >>
                >> Al

                >Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Brian Binder
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 3, 2006
                  One of my biggest arguments from Ghost is that it gives you a bootable
                  CD that doesn't allow you to create images with. <rolls eyes>

                  ATI gives you network support, FTP support (in the newest version) and
                  widespread hardware support for all types of hardware on a nice Linux
                  kernel with fantastic hardware detection.

                  Ghost still lacks in all those departments for different reasons.

                  Al ~Alvaro~ Guevara wrote:

                  > Wonder why no-one mentions Ghost?
                  > But it sure does El Sucko, yes.
                  > I was going to take my Dell 80 gig C-drive and put it on my new home
                  > built ATX Micro portable "Scream machine I just assembled.
                  >
                  > Crap! Guess I gotta go buy that True Image deal
                  >
                  > Al

                  > From: "Brian Binder" <brian.binder@...
                  > <mailto:brian.binder%40gmail.com>>
                  > To: ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ntb-OffTopic%40yahoogroups.com>
                  > Subject: Re: [NTO] benefits of disk imaging?
                  >
                  >>It kinda stinks doesn't it? More and more restrictive. Think of how
                  >>much more MS would do if people didn't complain about some of their
                  >>practices.
                  >
                  >>ATI is Acronis True Image from http://www.acronis.com
                  > <http://www.acronis.com> and the FAST
                  >>Wizard is on the Windows XP CD. ;)
                  >
                  >>Al ~Alvaro~ Guevara wrote:
                  >>>

                  >>> Thanks for the long explanation, I'm behind the times Windows wise it
                  > seems.

                  >>> Are both the above Windows deals?
                  >>>
                  >>> Al
                  >

                  >>Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Al ~Alvaro~ Guevara
                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 3, 2006
                    Thanks Brian!

                    Al

                    From: "Brian Binder" <brian.binder@...>
                    To: ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com

                    >One of my biggest arguments from Ghost is that it gives you a bootable
                    >CD that doesn't allow you to create images with. <rolls eyes>

                    >ATI gives you network support, FTP support (in the newest version) and
                    >widespread hardware support for all types of hardware on a nice Linux
                    >kernel with fantastic hardware detection.

                    >Ghost still lacks in all those departments for different reasons.

                    >Al ~Alvaro~ Guevara wrote:
                    >>

                    >> Wonder why no-one mentions Ghost?
                    >> But it sure does El Sucko, yes.
                    >> I was going to take my Dell 80 gig C-drive and put it on my new home
                    >> built ATX Micro portable "Scream machine I just assembled.
                    >>
                    >> Crap! Guess I gotta go buy that True Image deal
                    >>
                    >> Al

                  • Brian Binder
                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 3, 2006
                      Sure! ;)

                      More reading: ( and yes, I know it looks bad seeing as it comes from
                      Acronis' site :P )

                      http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/reviews.html
                      http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/company/inpress/2006/04-02-en.html