Re: [NTO] benefits of disk imaging?

  • Alan_C
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 2, 2006
      the thing about imaged backups is that they eventually get old, outdated.
      But, nonetheless, I find them a handy thing to have (it can save my bacon).

      Me too, (works great) on the Acronis. I have their latest True Image home
      edition.

      For many years I've sent backup image across the network. I used to capture
      (the storage location) for the image be a networked Win 2K box (also requires
      a dhcp server on the network -- many combo router/dsl_modem serve dhcp)

      I discovered recently that a Linux box running Samba (on the network) works
      identical to my former method of a networked Win 2K box.

      So now, when I image, I have the Linux/Samba box running (destination for
      image) then boot the other 'puter from Acronis boot CD then send image over
      the network to the Linux/Samba box. Works nice. The reverse (restore image)
      works nice too.

      Also can image Linux with the exception of Linux LVM (logical volume
      manager) -- True Image supports many/most Linux file systems (in addition to
      the Win file systems).

      Also supports many other storage/destination if you're not interested in using
      a networked box as the destination.

      g4U and another, a partition imager are open source softwares. But I'm
      unaware how these compare/measure_up. Alan.

      On Monday 02 October 2006 09:04, sisterscape wrote:
      > Yes, Acronis has worked very well for me. I have restored images
      > perhaps 5 times and it's always worked flawlessly. However, the
      > restore was to the same computer. While it's possible to clone to a
      [ . . ]
      > --- bruce.somers@... wrote:
      > > > I will be buying a new computer soon, running xp pro. I would love
      > > > to minimize the agonizing re-install of all my favorite apps and
      > > > their settings. I have the impression that there is no way around
      > > > this, but can some of it be lessened by imaging the curent hard
      > >
      > > drive
      > >
      > > > and restoring all or part of its contents to the new system?
      > > >
      > > > thanks for any wisdom.
      > > >
      > > > Dean
      > >
      > > You should look at Acronis TrueImage and perhaps others, and then
      > > make your own decision.
      > >
      > > I have just reinstalled WIN 2000 and it is a grand catastrophe!
      > > Costing time measured in days!
      > >
      > > Bruce
    • John Mitchell
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 2, 2006
        Dean

        Most people have no more than half a dozen "must have" applications. I'd
        rather go through the relatively mild pain of reinstalling those on a
        nice new clean system, than any method that involves reusing the old
        system on a new machine. As far as data is concerned, you can easily
        network the old system with the new system and simply copy your files
        across.

        What *is* well worth doing is to take an image snapshot of your new
        system (a) before you do anything to it and (b) as soon as you are
        comfortable that you have a stable configuration complete with your
        favourite applications. That way you can easily get back to a working
        system, should anything untoward happen. My personal favourite imaging
        tool is a toss up between BootitNG and Image for Windows, available
        separately or bundled at http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/

        Something else worth considering if you expect to be doing a few XP
        installs/updates (e.g. updating your new system, and refreshing or
        rebuilding your old system) is the excellent Autopatcher
        (http://www.autopatcher.com/) and once you have a full Autopatcher base
        you can easily keep it up to date with a small monthly supplemental
        download. If, for example, you had occasion in 6 months time to restore
        to the snapshot you took in (b) above, it would be a matter of minutes
        with Autopatcher to bring that system back up to full currency. It also
        means you can switch off Microsoft's automatic update system which will
        save you many unexpected downloads and reboots and avoids the risk of MS
        installing something they think is good for you (e.g. Windows Genuine
        Advantage) without your say so.

        Regards, John M

        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 2, 2006
          On Monday 02 October 2006 07:05, Dean Martineau wrote:
          > I will be buying a new computer soon, running xp pro. I would love
          > to minimize the agonizing re-install of all my favorite apps and
          > their settings. I have the impression that there is no way around
          > this,

          There is software to aid in the copy/xfer of your data from former box to new
          machine. but they mostly somehow "hook" the 2 'puters together like via a
          serial port cable or else network the 2 machines.

          Win XP (or is it Win 2K) has a built in (native) software to aid in copy/xfer
          data and personal settings from fomer to a new 'puter. But I'm unfamiliar
          with this software.

          I've never used those types of software.

          What I do is I usually copy my data and do very similar to like how John
          Mitchell explained, whenever I need to get migrated over to a new machine.

          > but can some of it be lessened by imaging the curent hard drive
          > and restoring all or part of its contents to the new system?

          Typically an HD imaging is not used for that. This is not to say that your
          data could not be xferred in this manner.

          But there likely (there are) easier ways to get your data xferred.

          And the use of imaging the hard drive is very well explained by hopefully you
          saw John Mitchell's post, in that post 2nd paragraph about "take an image
          snapshot".

          That, John's paragraph, is the same purpose (for HD imaging software) that I
          had meant to be about/for in my other post about Acronis True Image.

          Alan.
        • Brian Binder
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 2, 2006
            Because you can't simply swap drives in an XP environment like you could
            with Windows 98.

            Windows 98 would normally redetect things upon the new boot with no real
            issues minus the driver support. You had to load up all new drivers if
            the system was really different. This was also not a clean approach at
            all because you'd have "ghost" hardware that existed.

            With Windows XP, most of the times this process is illegal.

            Most people buy Windows XP's OEM version with whatever PC they buy
            because the cost is less than a retail copy. OEM licenses are bound to
            the hardware, so if you throw your HD in another PC, you are breaking
            the terms of the EULA under an OEM license environment.

            Also, when you initially boot Windows XP in the new system, chances are
            it's just going to BSOD because of the clash of hardware. It doesn't
            act the same as Windows 98 so ... those are a few reasons on why to do
            all that.

            I too, use Acronis True Image and think it's fantastic. I can offer
            that they have a "Universal Restore" feature that allows you to simply
            restore everything from your image onto a new drive with dissimilar
            hardware. As much as I love their product, I have YET to hear anyone
            from Acronis explain it ... period. No one seems to understand how it
            works. The forums are even scarce on the subject.

            I'd really want to know the intricacies of the "plugin" before I'd
            consider purchasing it.

            Else, you can use the XP File And Settings Transfer Wizard for some of
            your settings and programs.

            And using ATI will allow you to explore your image down the road so you
            can simply restore certain sections of your directory trees where your
            settings were stored.

            There's options...I do it for people all the time with great results.

            Al ~Alvaro~ Guevara wrote:

            > Why do all that when you can simply swap HD's in 10 minutes?
            >
            > Al

            > From: "Dean Martineau" <dean92@...
            > <mailto:dean92%40earthlink.net>>
            > To: ntb-offtopic@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ntb-offtopic%40yahoogroups.com>
            > Subject: [NTO] benefits of disk imaging?
            >
            >>I will be buying a new computer soon, running xp pro. I would love
            >>to minimize the agonizing re-install of all my favorite apps and
            >>their settings. I have the impression that there is no way around
            >>this, but can some of it be lessened by imaging the curent hard drive
            >>and restoring all or part of its contents to the new system?
            >
            >>thanks for any wisdom.
            >
            >>Dean
          • Al ~Alvaro~ Guevara
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 2, 2006
              Thanks for the long explanation, I'm behind the times Windows wise it seems.

              >Else, you can use the XP File And Settings Transfer Wizard
              >And using ATI will allow you to explore your image down

              Are both the above Windows deals?

              Al

              From: "Brian Binder" <brian.binder@...>
              To: ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com
              Subject: Re: [NTO] benefits of disk imaging?

              >Because you can't simply swap drives in an XP environment like you could
              >with Windows 98.

              >Windows 98 would normally redetect things upon the new boot with no real
              >issues minus the driver support. You had to load up all new drivers if
              >the system was really different. This was also not a clean approach at
              >all because you'd have "ghost" hardware that existed.

              >With Windows XP, most of the times this process is illegal.

              >Most people buy Windows XP's OEM version with whatever PC they buy
              >because the cost is less than a retail copy. OEM licenses are bound to
              >the hardware, so if you throw your HD in another PC, you are breaking
              >the terms of the EULA under an OEM license environment.

              >Also, when you initially boot Windows XP in the new system, chances are
              >it's just going to BSOD because of the clash of hardware. It doesn't
              >act the same as Windows 98 so ... those are a few reasons on why to do
              >all that.

              >I too, use Acronis True Image and think it's fantastic. I can offer
              >that they have a "Universal Restore" feature that allows you to simply
              >restore everything from your image onto a new drive with dissimilar
              >hardware. As much as I love their product, I have YET to hear anyone
              >from Acronis explain it ... period. No one seems to understand how it
              >works. The forums are even scarce on the subject.

              >I'd really want to know the intricacies of the "plugin" before I'd
              >consider purchasing it.

              >Else, you can use the XP File And Settings Transfer Wizard for some of
              >your settings and programs.

              >And using ATI will allow you to explore your image down the road so you
              >can simply restore certain sections of your directory trees where your
              >settings were stored.

              >There's options...I do it for people all the time with great results.

              >Al ~Alvaro~ Guevara wrote:
              >>

              >> Why do all that when you can simply swap HD's in 10 minutes?
              >>
              >> Al

            • Brian Binder
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 2, 2006
                It kinda stinks doesn't it? More and more restrictive. Think of how
                much more MS would do if people didn't complain about some of their
                practices.

                ATI is Acronis True Image from http://www.acronis.com and the FAST
                Wizard is on the Windows XP CD. ;)

                Al ~Alvaro~ Guevara wrote:

                > Thanks for the long explanation, I'm behind the times Windows wise it seems.
                >
                >>Else, you can use the XP File And Settings Transfer Wizard
                >>And using ATI will allow you to explore your image down
                >
                > Are both the above Windows deals?
                >
                > Al
              • Al ~Alvaro~ Guevara
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 3, 2006
                  Wonder why no-one mentions Ghost?
                  But it sure does El Sucko, yes.
                  I was going to take my Dell 80 gig C-drive and put it on my new home built ATX Micro portable "Scream machine I just assembled.

                  Crap! Guess I gotta go buy that True Image deal

                  Al

                  From: "Brian Binder" <brian.binder@...>
                  To: ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com

                  >It kinda stinks doesn't it? More and more restrictive. Think of how
                  >much more MS would do if people didn't complain about some of their
                  >practices.

                  >ATI is Acronis True Image from http://www.acronis.com and the FAST
                  >Wizard is on the Windows XP CD. ;)

                  >Al ~Alvaro~ Guevara wrote:
                  >>

                  >> Thanks for the long explanation, I'm behind the times Windows wise it seems.
                  >>
                  >>>Else, you can use the XP File And Settings Transfer Wizard
                  >>>And using ATI will allow you to explore your image down
                  >>
                  >> Are both the above Windows deals?
                  >>
                  >> Al

                  >Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Brian Binder
                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 3, 2006
                    One of my biggest arguments from Ghost is that it gives you a bootable
                    CD that doesn't allow you to create images with. <rolls eyes>

                    ATI gives you network support, FTP support (in the newest version) and
                    widespread hardware support for all types of hardware on a nice Linux
                    kernel with fantastic hardware detection.

                    Ghost still lacks in all those departments for different reasons.

                    Al ~Alvaro~ Guevara wrote:

                    > Wonder why no-one mentions Ghost?
                    > But it sure does El Sucko, yes.
                    > I was going to take my Dell 80 gig C-drive and put it on my new home
                    > built ATX Micro portable "Scream machine I just assembled.
                    >
                    > Crap! Guess I gotta go buy that True Image deal
                    >
                    > Al

                    > From: "Brian Binder" <brian.binder@...
                    > <mailto:brian.binder%40gmail.com>>
                    > To: ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ntb-OffTopic%40yahoogroups.com>
                    > Subject: Re: [NTO] benefits of disk imaging?
                    >
                    >>It kinda stinks doesn't it? More and more restrictive. Think of how
                    >>much more MS would do if people didn't complain about some of their
                    >>practices.
                    >
                    >>ATI is Acronis True Image from http://www.acronis.com
                    > <http://www.acronis.com> and the FAST
                    >>Wizard is on the Windows XP CD. ;)
                    >
                    >>Al ~Alvaro~ Guevara wrote:
                    >>>

                    >>> Thanks for the long explanation, I'm behind the times Windows wise it
                    > seems.

                    >>> Are both the above Windows deals?
                    >>>
                    >>> Al
                    >

                    >>Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Al ~Alvaro~ Guevara
                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 3, 2006
                      Thanks Brian!

                      Al

                      From: "Brian Binder" <brian.binder@...>
                      To: ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com

                      >One of my biggest arguments from Ghost is that it gives you a bootable
                      >CD that doesn't allow you to create images with. <rolls eyes>

                      >ATI gives you network support, FTP support (in the newest version) and
                      >widespread hardware support for all types of hardware on a nice Linux
                      >kernel with fantastic hardware detection.

                      >Ghost still lacks in all those departments for different reasons.

                      >Al ~Alvaro~ Guevara wrote:
                      >>

                      >> Wonder why no-one mentions Ghost?
                      >> But it sure does El Sucko, yes.
                      >> I was going to take my Dell 80 gig C-drive and put it on my new home
                      >> built ATX Micro portable "Scream machine I just assembled.
                      >>
                      >> Crap! Guess I gotta go buy that True Image deal
                      >>
                      >> Al

                    • Brian Binder
                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 3, 2006
                        Sure! ;)

                        More reading: ( and yes, I know it looks bad seeing as it comes from
                        Acronis' site :P )

                        http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/reviews.html
                        http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/company/inpress/2006/04-02-en.html