RE: [NTO] benefits of disk imaging?

  • Al ~Alvaro~ Guevara
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 2, 2006
      Why do all that when you can simply swap HD's in 10 minutes?

      Al

      From: "Dean Martineau" <dean92@...>
      To: ntb-offtopic@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [NTO] benefits of disk imaging?

      >I will be buying a new computer soon, running xp pro. I would love
      >to minimize the agonizing re-install of all my favorite apps and
      >their settings. I have the impression that there is no way around
      >this, but can some of it be lessened by imaging the curent hard drive
      >and restoring all or part of its contents to the new system?

      >thanks for any wisdom.

      >Dean

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Alan_C
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 2, 2006
        the thing about imaged backups is that they eventually get old, outdated.
        But, nonetheless, I find them a handy thing to have (it can save my bacon).

        Me too, (works great) on the Acronis. I have their latest True Image home
        edition.

        For many years I've sent backup image across the network. I used to capture
        (the storage location) for the image be a networked Win 2K box (also requires
        a dhcp server on the network -- many combo router/dsl_modem serve dhcp)

        I discovered recently that a Linux box running Samba (on the network) works
        identical to my former method of a networked Win 2K box.

        So now, when I image, I have the Linux/Samba box running (destination for
        image) then boot the other 'puter from Acronis boot CD then send image over
        the network to the Linux/Samba box. Works nice. The reverse (restore image)
        works nice too.

        Also can image Linux with the exception of Linux LVM (logical volume
        manager) -- True Image supports many/most Linux file systems (in addition to
        the Win file systems).

        Also supports many other storage/destination if you're not interested in using
        a networked box as the destination.

        g4U and another, a partition imager are open source softwares. But I'm
        unaware how these compare/measure_up. Alan.

        On Monday 02 October 2006 09:04, sisterscape wrote:
        > Yes, Acronis has worked very well for me. I have restored images
        > perhaps 5 times and it's always worked flawlessly. However, the
        > restore was to the same computer. While it's possible to clone to a
        [ . . ]
        > --- bruce.somers@... wrote:
        > > > I will be buying a new computer soon, running xp pro. I would love
        > > > to minimize the agonizing re-install of all my favorite apps and
        > > > their settings. I have the impression that there is no way around
        > > > this, but can some of it be lessened by imaging the curent hard
        > >
        > > drive
        > >
        > > > and restoring all or part of its contents to the new system?
        > > >
        > > > thanks for any wisdom.
        > > >
        > > > Dean
        > >
        > > You should look at Acronis TrueImage and perhaps others, and then
        > > make your own decision.
        > >
        > > I have just reinstalled WIN 2000 and it is a grand catastrophe!
        > > Costing time measured in days!
        > >
        > > Bruce
      • John Mitchell
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 2, 2006
          Dean

          Most people have no more than half a dozen "must have" applications. I'd
          rather go through the relatively mild pain of reinstalling those on a
          nice new clean system, than any method that involves reusing the old
          system on a new machine. As far as data is concerned, you can easily
          network the old system with the new system and simply copy your files
          across.

          What *is* well worth doing is to take an image snapshot of your new
          system (a) before you do anything to it and (b) as soon as you are
          comfortable that you have a stable configuration complete with your
          favourite applications. That way you can easily get back to a working
          system, should anything untoward happen. My personal favourite imaging
          tool is a toss up between BootitNG and Image for Windows, available
          separately or bundled at http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/

          Something else worth considering if you expect to be doing a few XP
          installs/updates (e.g. updating your new system, and refreshing or
          rebuilding your old system) is the excellent Autopatcher
          (http://www.autopatcher.com/) and once you have a full Autopatcher base
          you can easily keep it up to date with a small monthly supplemental
          download. If, for example, you had occasion in 6 months time to restore
          to the snapshot you took in (b) above, it would be a matter of minutes
          with Autopatcher to bring that system back up to full currency. It also
          means you can switch off Microsoft's automatic update system which will
          save you many unexpected downloads and reboots and avoids the risk of MS
          installing something they think is good for you (e.g. Windows Genuine
          Advantage) without your say so.

          Regards, John M

          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 2, 2006
            On Monday 02 October 2006 07:05, Dean Martineau wrote:
            > I will be buying a new computer soon, running xp pro. I would love
            > to minimize the agonizing re-install of all my favorite apps and
            > their settings. I have the impression that there is no way around
            > this,

            There is software to aid in the copy/xfer of your data from former box to new
            machine. but they mostly somehow "hook" the 2 'puters together like via a
            serial port cable or else network the 2 machines.

            Win XP (or is it Win 2K) has a built in (native) software to aid in copy/xfer
            data and personal settings from fomer to a new 'puter. But I'm unfamiliar
            with this software.

            I've never used those types of software.

            What I do is I usually copy my data and do very similar to like how John
            Mitchell explained, whenever I need to get migrated over to a new machine.

            > but can some of it be lessened by imaging the curent hard drive
            > and restoring all or part of its contents to the new system?

            Typically an HD imaging is not used for that. This is not to say that your
            data could not be xferred in this manner.

            But there likely (there are) easier ways to get your data xferred.

            And the use of imaging the hard drive is very well explained by hopefully you
            saw John Mitchell's post, in that post 2nd paragraph about "take an image
            snapshot".

            That, John's paragraph, is the same purpose (for HD imaging software) that I
            had meant to be about/for in my other post about Acronis True Image.

            Alan.
          • Brian Binder
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 2, 2006
              Because you can't simply swap drives in an XP environment like you could
              with Windows 98.

              Windows 98 would normally redetect things upon the new boot with no real
              issues minus the driver support. You had to load up all new drivers if
              the system was really different. This was also not a clean approach at
              all because you'd have "ghost" hardware that existed.

              With Windows XP, most of the times this process is illegal.

              Most people buy Windows XP's OEM version with whatever PC they buy
              because the cost is less than a retail copy. OEM licenses are bound to
              the hardware, so if you throw your HD in another PC, you are breaking
              the terms of the EULA under an OEM license environment.

              Also, when you initially boot Windows XP in the new system, chances are
              it's just going to BSOD because of the clash of hardware. It doesn't
              act the same as Windows 98 so ... those are a few reasons on why to do
              all that.

              I too, use Acronis True Image and think it's fantastic. I can offer
              that they have a "Universal Restore" feature that allows you to simply
              restore everything from your image onto a new drive with dissimilar
              hardware. As much as I love their product, I have YET to hear anyone
              from Acronis explain it ... period. No one seems to understand how it
              works. The forums are even scarce on the subject.

              I'd really want to know the intricacies of the "plugin" before I'd
              consider purchasing it.

              Else, you can use the XP File And Settings Transfer Wizard for some of
              your settings and programs.

              And using ATI will allow you to explore your image down the road so you
              can simply restore certain sections of your directory trees where your
              settings were stored.

              There's options...I do it for people all the time with great results.

              Al ~Alvaro~ Guevara wrote:

              > Why do all that when you can simply swap HD's in 10 minutes?
              >
              > Al

              > From: "Dean Martineau" <dean92@...
              > <mailto:dean92%40earthlink.net>>
              > To: ntb-offtopic@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ntb-offtopic%40yahoogroups.com>
              > Subject: [NTO] benefits of disk imaging?
              >
              >>I will be buying a new computer soon, running xp pro. I would love
              >>to minimize the agonizing re-install of all my favorite apps and
              >>their settings. I have the impression that there is no way around
              >>this, but can some of it be lessened by imaging the curent hard drive
              >>and restoring all or part of its contents to the new system?
              >
              >>thanks for any wisdom.
              >
              >>Dean
            • Al ~Alvaro~ Guevara
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 2, 2006
                Thanks for the long explanation, I'm behind the times Windows wise it seems.

                >Else, you can use the XP File And Settings Transfer Wizard
                >And using ATI will allow you to explore your image down

                Are both the above Windows deals?

                Al

                From: "Brian Binder" <brian.binder@...>
                To: ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com
                Subject: Re: [NTO] benefits of disk imaging?

                >Because you can't simply swap drives in an XP environment like you could
                >with Windows 98.

                >Windows 98 would normally redetect things upon the new boot with no real
                >issues minus the driver support. You had to load up all new drivers if
                >the system was really different. This was also not a clean approach at
                >all because you'd have "ghost" hardware that existed.

                >With Windows XP, most of the times this process is illegal.

                >Most people buy Windows XP's OEM version with whatever PC they buy
                >because the cost is less than a retail copy. OEM licenses are bound to
                >the hardware, so if you throw your HD in another PC, you are breaking
                >the terms of the EULA under an OEM license environment.

                >Also, when you initially boot Windows XP in the new system, chances are
                >it's just going to BSOD because of the clash of hardware. It doesn't
                >act the same as Windows 98 so ... those are a few reasons on why to do
                >all that.

                >I too, use Acronis True Image and think it's fantastic. I can offer
                >that they have a "Universal Restore" feature that allows you to simply
                >restore everything from your image onto a new drive with dissimilar
                >hardware. As much as I love their product, I have YET to hear anyone
                >from Acronis explain it ... period. No one seems to understand how it
                >works. The forums are even scarce on the subject.

                >I'd really want to know the intricacies of the "plugin" before I'd
                >consider purchasing it.

                >Else, you can use the XP File And Settings Transfer Wizard for some of
                >your settings and programs.

                >And using ATI will allow you to explore your image down the road so you
                >can simply restore certain sections of your directory trees where your
                >settings were stored.

                >There's options...I do it for people all the time with great results.

                >Al ~Alvaro~ Guevara wrote:
                >>

                >> Why do all that when you can simply swap HD's in 10 minutes?
                >>
                >> Al

              • Brian Binder
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 2, 2006
                  It kinda stinks doesn't it? More and more restrictive. Think of how
                  much more MS would do if people didn't complain about some of their
                  practices.

                  ATI is Acronis True Image from http://www.acronis.com and the FAST
                  Wizard is on the Windows XP CD. ;)

                  Al ~Alvaro~ Guevara wrote:

                  > Thanks for the long explanation, I'm behind the times Windows wise it seems.
                  >
                  >>Else, you can use the XP File And Settings Transfer Wizard
                  >>And using ATI will allow you to explore your image down
                  >
                  > Are both the above Windows deals?
                  >
                  > Al
                • Al ~Alvaro~ Guevara
                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 3, 2006
                    Wonder why no-one mentions Ghost?
                    But it sure does El Sucko, yes.
                    I was going to take my Dell 80 gig C-drive and put it on my new home built ATX Micro portable "Scream machine I just assembled.

                    Crap! Guess I gotta go buy that True Image deal

                    Al

                    From: "Brian Binder" <brian.binder@...>
                    To: ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com

                    >It kinda stinks doesn't it? More and more restrictive. Think of how
                    >much more MS would do if people didn't complain about some of their
                    >practices.

                    >ATI is Acronis True Image from http://www.acronis.com and the FAST
                    >Wizard is on the Windows XP CD. ;)

                    >Al ~Alvaro~ Guevara wrote:
                    >>

                    >> Thanks for the long explanation, I'm behind the times Windows wise it seems.
                    >>
                    >>>Else, you can use the XP File And Settings Transfer Wizard
                    >>>And using ATI will allow you to explore your image down
                    >>
                    >> Are both the above Windows deals?
                    >>
                    >> Al

                    >Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Brian Binder
                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 3, 2006
                      One of my biggest arguments from Ghost is that it gives you a bootable
                      CD that doesn't allow you to create images with. <rolls eyes>

                      ATI gives you network support, FTP support (in the newest version) and
                      widespread hardware support for all types of hardware on a nice Linux
                      kernel with fantastic hardware detection.

                      Ghost still lacks in all those departments for different reasons.

                      Al ~Alvaro~ Guevara wrote:

                      > Wonder why no-one mentions Ghost?
                      > But it sure does El Sucko, yes.
                      > I was going to take my Dell 80 gig C-drive and put it on my new home
                      > built ATX Micro portable "Scream machine I just assembled.
                      >
                      > Crap! Guess I gotta go buy that True Image deal
                      >
                      > Al

                      > From: "Brian Binder" <brian.binder@...
                      > <mailto:brian.binder%40gmail.com>>
                      > To: ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ntb-OffTopic%40yahoogroups.com>
                      > Subject: Re: [NTO] benefits of disk imaging?
                      >
                      >>It kinda stinks doesn't it? More and more restrictive. Think of how
                      >>much more MS would do if people didn't complain about some of their
                      >>practices.
                      >
                      >>ATI is Acronis True Image from http://www.acronis.com
                      > <http://www.acronis.com> and the FAST
                      >>Wizard is on the Windows XP CD. ;)
                      >
                      >>Al ~Alvaro~ Guevara wrote:
                      >>>

                      >>> Thanks for the long explanation, I'm behind the times Windows wise it
                      > seems.

                      >>> Are both the above Windows deals?
                      >>>
                      >>> Al
                      >

                      >>Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Al ~Alvaro~ Guevara
                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 3, 2006
                        Thanks Brian!

                        Al

                        From: "Brian Binder" <brian.binder@...>
                        To: ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com

                        >One of my biggest arguments from Ghost is that it gives you a bootable
                        >CD that doesn't allow you to create images with. <rolls eyes>

                        >ATI gives you network support, FTP support (in the newest version) and
                        >widespread hardware support for all types of hardware on a nice Linux
                        >kernel with fantastic hardware detection.

                        >Ghost still lacks in all those departments for different reasons.

                        >Al ~Alvaro~ Guevara wrote:
                        >>

                        >> Wonder why no-one mentions Ghost?
                        >> But it sure does El Sucko, yes.
                        >> I was going to take my Dell 80 gig C-drive and put it on my new home
                        >> built ATX Micro portable "Scream machine I just assembled.
                        >>
                        >> Crap! Guess I gotta go buy that True Image deal
                        >>
                        >> Al

                      • Brian Binder
                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 3, 2006
                          Sure! ;)

                          More reading: ( and yes, I know it looks bad seeing as it comes from
                          Acronis' site :P )

                          http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/reviews.html
                          http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/company/inpress/2006/04-02-en.html