Re: [NTO] benefits of disk imaging?

  • sisterscape
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 2, 2006
      Yes, Acronis has worked very well for me. I have restored images
      perhaps 5 times and it's always worked flawlessly. However, the
      restore was to the same computer. While it's possible to clone to a
      new replacement C drive, I don't know that it's possible to restore to
      an entirely different machine/system as all the hardware,
      configurations etc. will be different. Check out the Acronis forums at
      http://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65
      for an answer.

      sisterscape

      --- bruce.somers@... wrote:

      > > I will be buying a new computer soon, running xp pro. I would love
      > > to minimize the agonizing re-install of all my favorite apps and
      > > their settings. I have the impression that there is no way around
      > > this, but can some of it be lessened by imaging the curent hard
      > drive
      > > and restoring all or part of its contents to the new system?
      > >
      > > thanks for any wisdom.
      > >
      > > Dean
      >
      > You should look at Acronis TrueImage and perhaps others, and then
      > make your own decision.
      >
      > I have just reinstalled WIN 2000 and it is a grand catastrophe!
      > Costing time measured in days!
      >
      > Bruce

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Al ~Alvaro~ Guevara
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 2, 2006
        Why do all that when you can simply swap HD's in 10 minutes?

        Al

        From: "Dean Martineau" <dean92@...>
        To: ntb-offtopic@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [NTO] benefits of disk imaging?

        >I will be buying a new computer soon, running xp pro. I would love
        >to minimize the agonizing re-install of all my favorite apps and
        >their settings. I have the impression that there is no way around
        >this, but can some of it be lessened by imaging the curent hard drive
        >and restoring all or part of its contents to the new system?

        >thanks for any wisdom.

        >Dean

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Alan_C
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 2, 2006
          the thing about imaged backups is that they eventually get old, outdated.
          But, nonetheless, I find them a handy thing to have (it can save my bacon).

          Me too, (works great) on the Acronis. I have their latest True Image home
          edition.

          For many years I've sent backup image across the network. I used to capture
          (the storage location) for the image be a networked Win 2K box (also requires
          a dhcp server on the network -- many combo router/dsl_modem serve dhcp)

          I discovered recently that a Linux box running Samba (on the network) works
          identical to my former method of a networked Win 2K box.

          So now, when I image, I have the Linux/Samba box running (destination for
          image) then boot the other 'puter from Acronis boot CD then send image over
          the network to the Linux/Samba box. Works nice. The reverse (restore image)
          works nice too.

          Also can image Linux with the exception of Linux LVM (logical volume
          manager) -- True Image supports many/most Linux file systems (in addition to
          the Win file systems).

          Also supports many other storage/destination if you're not interested in using
          a networked box as the destination.

          g4U and another, a partition imager are open source softwares. But I'm
          unaware how these compare/measure_up. Alan.

          On Monday 02 October 2006 09:04, sisterscape wrote:
          > Yes, Acronis has worked very well for me. I have restored images
          > perhaps 5 times and it's always worked flawlessly. However, the
          > restore was to the same computer. While it's possible to clone to a
          [ . . ]
          > --- bruce.somers@... wrote:
          > > > I will be buying a new computer soon, running xp pro. I would love
          > > > to minimize the agonizing re-install of all my favorite apps and
          > > > their settings. I have the impression that there is no way around
          > > > this, but can some of it be lessened by imaging the curent hard
          > >
          > > drive
          > >
          > > > and restoring all or part of its contents to the new system?
          > > >
          > > > thanks for any wisdom.
          > > >
          > > > Dean
          > >
          > > You should look at Acronis TrueImage and perhaps others, and then
          > > make your own decision.
          > >
          > > I have just reinstalled WIN 2000 and it is a grand catastrophe!
          > > Costing time measured in days!
          > >
          > > Bruce
        • John Mitchell
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 2, 2006
            Dean

            Most people have no more than half a dozen "must have" applications. I'd
            rather go through the relatively mild pain of reinstalling those on a
            nice new clean system, than any method that involves reusing the old
            system on a new machine. As far as data is concerned, you can easily
            network the old system with the new system and simply copy your files
            across.

            What *is* well worth doing is to take an image snapshot of your new
            system (a) before you do anything to it and (b) as soon as you are
            comfortable that you have a stable configuration complete with your
            favourite applications. That way you can easily get back to a working
            system, should anything untoward happen. My personal favourite imaging
            tool is a toss up between BootitNG and Image for Windows, available
            separately or bundled at http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/

            Something else worth considering if you expect to be doing a few XP
            installs/updates (e.g. updating your new system, and refreshing or
            rebuilding your old system) is the excellent Autopatcher
            (http://www.autopatcher.com/) and once you have a full Autopatcher base
            you can easily keep it up to date with a small monthly supplemental
            download. If, for example, you had occasion in 6 months time to restore
            to the snapshot you took in (b) above, it would be a matter of minutes
            with Autopatcher to bring that system back up to full currency. It also
            means you can switch off Microsoft's automatic update system which will
            save you many unexpected downloads and reboots and avoids the risk of MS
            installing something they think is good for you (e.g. Windows Genuine
            Advantage) without your say so.

            Regards, John M

            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 2, 2006
              On Monday 02 October 2006 07:05, Dean Martineau wrote:
              > I will be buying a new computer soon, running xp pro. I would love
              > to minimize the agonizing re-install of all my favorite apps and
              > their settings. I have the impression that there is no way around
              > this,

              There is software to aid in the copy/xfer of your data from former box to new
              machine. but they mostly somehow "hook" the 2 'puters together like via a
              serial port cable or else network the 2 machines.

              Win XP (or is it Win 2K) has a built in (native) software to aid in copy/xfer
              data and personal settings from fomer to a new 'puter. But I'm unfamiliar
              with this software.

              I've never used those types of software.

              What I do is I usually copy my data and do very similar to like how John
              Mitchell explained, whenever I need to get migrated over to a new machine.

              > but can some of it be lessened by imaging the curent hard drive
              > and restoring all or part of its contents to the new system?

              Typically an HD imaging is not used for that. This is not to say that your
              data could not be xferred in this manner.

              But there likely (there are) easier ways to get your data xferred.

              And the use of imaging the hard drive is very well explained by hopefully you
              saw John Mitchell's post, in that post 2nd paragraph about "take an image
              snapshot".

              That, John's paragraph, is the same purpose (for HD imaging software) that I
              had meant to be about/for in my other post about Acronis True Image.

              Alan.
            • Brian Binder
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 2, 2006
                Because you can't simply swap drives in an XP environment like you could
                with Windows 98.

                Windows 98 would normally redetect things upon the new boot with no real
                issues minus the driver support. You had to load up all new drivers if
                the system was really different. This was also not a clean approach at
                all because you'd have "ghost" hardware that existed.

                With Windows XP, most of the times this process is illegal.

                Most people buy Windows XP's OEM version with whatever PC they buy
                because the cost is less than a retail copy. OEM licenses are bound to
                the hardware, so if you throw your HD in another PC, you are breaking
                the terms of the EULA under an OEM license environment.

                Also, when you initially boot Windows XP in the new system, chances are
                it's just going to BSOD because of the clash of hardware. It doesn't
                act the same as Windows 98 so ... those are a few reasons on why to do
                all that.

                I too, use Acronis True Image and think it's fantastic. I can offer
                that they have a "Universal Restore" feature that allows you to simply
                restore everything from your image onto a new drive with dissimilar
                hardware. As much as I love their product, I have YET to hear anyone
                from Acronis explain it ... period. No one seems to understand how it
                works. The forums are even scarce on the subject.

                I'd really want to know the intricacies of the "plugin" before I'd
                consider purchasing it.

                Else, you can use the XP File And Settings Transfer Wizard for some of
                your settings and programs.

                And using ATI will allow you to explore your image down the road so you
                can simply restore certain sections of your directory trees where your
                settings were stored.

                There's options...I do it for people all the time with great results.

                Al ~Alvaro~ Guevara wrote:

                > Why do all that when you can simply swap HD's in 10 minutes?
                >
                > Al

                > From: "Dean Martineau" <dean92@...
                > <mailto:dean92%40earthlink.net>>
                > To: ntb-offtopic@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ntb-offtopic%40yahoogroups.com>
                > Subject: [NTO] benefits of disk imaging?
                >
                >>I will be buying a new computer soon, running xp pro. I would love
                >>to minimize the agonizing re-install of all my favorite apps and
                >>their settings. I have the impression that there is no way around
                >>this, but can some of it be lessened by imaging the curent hard drive
                >>and restoring all or part of its contents to the new system?
                >
                >>thanks for any wisdom.
                >
                >>Dean
              • Al ~Alvaro~ Guevara
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 2, 2006
                  Thanks for the long explanation, I'm behind the times Windows wise it seems.

                  >Else, you can use the XP File And Settings Transfer Wizard
                  >And using ATI will allow you to explore your image down

                  Are both the above Windows deals?

                  Al

                  From: "Brian Binder" <brian.binder@...>
                  To: ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com
                  Subject: Re: [NTO] benefits of disk imaging?

                  >Because you can't simply swap drives in an XP environment like you could
                  >with Windows 98.

                  >Windows 98 would normally redetect things upon the new boot with no real
                  >issues minus the driver support. You had to load up all new drivers if
                  >the system was really different. This was also not a clean approach at
                  >all because you'd have "ghost" hardware that existed.

                  >With Windows XP, most of the times this process is illegal.

                  >Most people buy Windows XP's OEM version with whatever PC they buy
                  >because the cost is less than a retail copy. OEM licenses are bound to
                  >the hardware, so if you throw your HD in another PC, you are breaking
                  >the terms of the EULA under an OEM license environment.

                  >Also, when you initially boot Windows XP in the new system, chances are
                  >it's just going to BSOD because of the clash of hardware. It doesn't
                  >act the same as Windows 98 so ... those are a few reasons on why to do
                  >all that.

                  >I too, use Acronis True Image and think it's fantastic. I can offer
                  >that they have a "Universal Restore" feature that allows you to simply
                  >restore everything from your image onto a new drive with dissimilar
                  >hardware. As much as I love their product, I have YET to hear anyone
                  >from Acronis explain it ... period. No one seems to understand how it
                  >works. The forums are even scarce on the subject.

                  >I'd really want to know the intricacies of the "plugin" before I'd
                  >consider purchasing it.

                  >Else, you can use the XP File And Settings Transfer Wizard for some of
                  >your settings and programs.

                  >And using ATI will allow you to explore your image down the road so you
                  >can simply restore certain sections of your directory trees where your
                  >settings were stored.

                  >There's options...I do it for people all the time with great results.

                  >Al ~Alvaro~ Guevara wrote:
                  >>

                  >> Why do all that when you can simply swap HD's in 10 minutes?
                  >>
                  >> Al

                • Brian Binder
                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 2, 2006
                    It kinda stinks doesn't it? More and more restrictive. Think of how
                    much more MS would do if people didn't complain about some of their
                    practices.

                    ATI is Acronis True Image from http://www.acronis.com and the FAST
                    Wizard is on the Windows XP CD. ;)

                    Al ~Alvaro~ Guevara wrote:

                    > Thanks for the long explanation, I'm behind the times Windows wise it seems.
                    >
                    >>Else, you can use the XP File And Settings Transfer Wizard
                    >>And using ATI will allow you to explore your image down
                    >
                    > Are both the above Windows deals?
                    >
                    > Al
                  • Al ~Alvaro~ Guevara
                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 3, 2006
                      Wonder why no-one mentions Ghost?
                      But it sure does El Sucko, yes.
                      I was going to take my Dell 80 gig C-drive and put it on my new home built ATX Micro portable "Scream machine I just assembled.

                      Crap! Guess I gotta go buy that True Image deal

                      Al

                      From: "Brian Binder" <brian.binder@...>
                      To: ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com

                      >It kinda stinks doesn't it? More and more restrictive. Think of how
                      >much more MS would do if people didn't complain about some of their
                      >practices.

                      >ATI is Acronis True Image from http://www.acronis.com and the FAST
                      >Wizard is on the Windows XP CD. ;)

                      >Al ~Alvaro~ Guevara wrote:
                      >>

                      >> Thanks for the long explanation, I'm behind the times Windows wise it seems.
                      >>
                      >>>Else, you can use the XP File And Settings Transfer Wizard
                      >>>And using ATI will allow you to explore your image down
                      >>
                      >> Are both the above Windows deals?
                      >>
                      >> Al

                      >Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Brian Binder
                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 3, 2006
                        One of my biggest arguments from Ghost is that it gives you a bootable
                        CD that doesn't allow you to create images with. <rolls eyes>

                        ATI gives you network support, FTP support (in the newest version) and
                        widespread hardware support for all types of hardware on a nice Linux
                        kernel with fantastic hardware detection.

                        Ghost still lacks in all those departments for different reasons.

                        Al ~Alvaro~ Guevara wrote:

                        > Wonder why no-one mentions Ghost?
                        > But it sure does El Sucko, yes.
                        > I was going to take my Dell 80 gig C-drive and put it on my new home
                        > built ATX Micro portable "Scream machine I just assembled.
                        >
                        > Crap! Guess I gotta go buy that True Image deal
                        >
                        > Al

                        > From: "Brian Binder" <brian.binder@...
                        > <mailto:brian.binder%40gmail.com>>
                        > To: ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ntb-OffTopic%40yahoogroups.com>
                        > Subject: Re: [NTO] benefits of disk imaging?
                        >
                        >>It kinda stinks doesn't it? More and more restrictive. Think of how
                        >>much more MS would do if people didn't complain about some of their
                        >>practices.
                        >
                        >>ATI is Acronis True Image from http://www.acronis.com
                        > <http://www.acronis.com> and the FAST
                        >>Wizard is on the Windows XP CD. ;)
                        >
                        >>Al ~Alvaro~ Guevara wrote:
                        >>>

                        >>> Thanks for the long explanation, I'm behind the times Windows wise it
                        > seems.

                        >>> Are both the above Windows deals?
                        >>>
                        >>> Al
                        >

                        >>Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • Al ~Alvaro~ Guevara
                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 3, 2006
                          Thanks Brian!

                          Al

                          From: "Brian Binder" <brian.binder@...>
                          To: ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com

                          >One of my biggest arguments from Ghost is that it gives you a bootable
                          >CD that doesn't allow you to create images with. <rolls eyes>

                          >ATI gives you network support, FTP support (in the newest version) and
                          >widespread hardware support for all types of hardware on a nice Linux
                          >kernel with fantastic hardware detection.

                          >Ghost still lacks in all those departments for different reasons.

                          >Al ~Alvaro~ Guevara wrote:
                          >>

                          >> Wonder why no-one mentions Ghost?
                          >> But it sure does El Sucko, yes.
                          >> I was going to take my Dell 80 gig C-drive and put it on my new home
                          >> built ATX Micro portable "Scream machine I just assembled.
                          >>
                          >> Crap! Guess I gotta go buy that True Image deal
                          >>
                          >> Al

                        • Brian Binder
                          Message 12 of 15 , Oct 3, 2006
                            Sure! ;)

                            More reading: ( and yes, I know it looks bad seeing as it comes from
                            Acronis' site :P )

                            http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/reviews.html
                            http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/company/inpress/2006/04-02-en.html