[NTO] Re: Synchronize Laptop

  • Ray Shapp
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 10, 2000
      Hello All

      I've been happily subscribed to NTP mail lists (NTO, NTB and CLIPS) for
      about ten days and I suddenly realize I don't know how to synchronize mail
      messages between my desktop PC and my laptop. I have been keeping an
      archive of useful NTP messages in a folder on my desktop PC within MS
      Outlook Express. How do I add selected new messages to that archive if mail
      list messages come to me when I'm using my laptop PC?

      When I read a message using my laptop PC, if I want to keep it, I suppose I
      could forward just that selected message to myself, then log off, then log
      on using the desktop PC, then re-read that mail. Is there a more efficient
      way?

      I'm using NTP4.6, MSIE5.0 and Outlook Express 5 and Win98 on both computers.

      Thanks for helping me use this great resource!

      Ray Shapp
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 10, 2000
        Hi Ray Shapp,

        Right list to post the question, but maybe nobody owns a laptop
        and syncs it with their main one??? Isn't that what that
        briefcase thing does?

        > I've been happily subscribed to NTP mail lists (NTO, NTB and
        > CLIPS) for about ten days and I suddenly realize I don't know
        > how to synchronize mail messages between my desktop PC and my
        > laptop. I have been keeping an archive of useful NTP messages
        > in a folder on my desktop PC within MS Outlook Express. How do
        > I add selected new messages to that archive if mail list
        > messages come to me when I'm using my laptop PC?
        >
        > When I read a message using my laptop PC, if I want to keep it,
        > I suppose I could forward just that selected message to myself,
        > then log off, then log on using the desktop PC, then re-read
        > that mail. Is there a more efficient way?

        Happy Off-Topic'n!

        mailto:NoteTab-OT-Subscribe@...
      • Dennis Aoki
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 11, 2000
          Hi Ray Shapp,

          I can't be much help because I don't use all that MS stuff.
          I started to use "that Briefcase thing" but it seemed like
          it was going to do too much automatically. I like having
          control over what my computer does so I abandoned Briefcase.

          I just use Netscape. By searching my disks and trial and
          error I located the files that Netscape stores mail info in.
          I simply copy my notebook mail files across the network to
          the corresponding desktop directory. To make things simpler,
          I keep the directory names and path the same on both computers.

          Maybe something similar will work with your software?
          If not, won't your software allow saving as text, then
          importing a text file? (Maybe some other format than text?)

          Sorry I can't be more help. That is why I didn't post anything,
          but I know the frustration of sending a message into a void.

          Dennis

          > Right list to post the question, but maybe nobody owns a laptop
          > and syncs it with their main one??? Isn't that what that
          > briefcase thing does?
          >
          > > how to synchronize mail messages between my desktop PC and my
          > > laptop. I have been keeping an archive of useful NTP messages
          > > in a folder on my desktop PC within MS Outlook Express. How do
          > > I add selected new messages to that archive if mail list
          > > messages come to me when I'm using my laptop PC?
        • Julie G
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 11, 2000
            Hi,

            If you regularly check mail through your desktop, and with less frequency
            on the laptop, I would go into the settings in the mailer you use on the
            laptop and choose the option to leave mail on the server.

            Just a thought,
            Julie

          • jlg@maranatha.net
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 11, 2000

              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 11, 2000
                Hi Jody and Dennis

                Briefcase might be appropriate if each saved e-mail message were contained
                in a separate file. Briefcase could then synchronize the corresponding
                directory on laptop and desktop. Outlook Express stores all its saved
                messages in a single file. If I were to start the week with both PCs in
                synch then read mail Monday and Wednesday on desktop and read mail Tuesday
                and Thursday on laptop, when Briefcase re-synchs on Friday, the mail from
                Monday and Wednesday would get lost.

                I was hoping for a solution using NoteTab...

                Ray Shapp
              • Ray Shapp
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 11, 2000
                  Hi Julie

                  You're exactly right about my using the desktop a lot more than the laptop.
                  A simple checkmark to leave mail on the server when I read from the laptop
                  is an elegant solution.

                  Thanks loads!

                  Ray Shapp
                • Marco Bernardini
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 12, 2000
                    Alle 17.11 11/02/2000 -0500, Ray Shapp wrote:
                    <snip>
                    >If I were to start the week with both PCs in
                    >synch then read mail Monday and Wednesday on desktop and read mail Tuesday
                    >and Thursday on laptop, when Briefcase re-synchs on Friday, the mail from
                    >Monday and Wednesday would get lost.

                    I read mail from a lot of different computers, even if my main "mail
                    office" is at home.
                    The trick is to leave mail on the mail server, and erase it from just a
                    single machine.
                    If I need to send something when I'm not on my main computer, I send also a
                    Bcc: to me, so I can save what I send (at present I've more than 50 Megs of
                    backupped messages).
                    Using Eudora Light it's almost easy to recreate an old mail archive, even
                    if you don't really need this, because messages are saved in common text
                    format so you can easily read your "oldies".
                    Who use Eudora Light and need to read more than a single mail account can
                    mail me: I use it with 5 different accounts without the mess created by
                    Outlook :-)

                    Hope this enlighten somebody!

                    Marco Bernardini