reliable ways to distribute an e-mail newsletter?

  • Dean Martineau
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 2, 2006
      Hello. I produce a weekly adaptive technology newsletter, mainly
      directed to the blind community and those who support them. It
      is called Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday, http://topdotenterprises.com/tidbits.

      The newsletter has over 1,600 subscribers, but many do not receive
      the e-mails. The newsletter consists of short snippets of text
      followed by links, so it is increasingly viewed as spam. I am
      looking for a way, paid if need be, to get it into the hands of the
      recipients. I've wondered about sending it locally, using some sort
      of clip(s), so that it is not bulk-mailed. I do not presently use a
      local mail server, but could if this would help. Many of the
      recipients do not want to use rss because they struggle enough to
      learn e-mail, so while I offer an rss feed, a reliable way to deliver
      the newsletter by e-mail would be the best.

      I would appreciate any suggestions.

      Dean
    • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 2, 2006
        Dean Martineau wrote:
        > Hello. I produce a weekly adaptive technology newsletter, mainly
        > directed to the blind community and those who support them. It
        > is called Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday, http://topdotenterprises.com/tidbits.
        >
        > The newsletter has over 1,600 subscribers, but many do not receive
        > the e-mails. The newsletter consists of short snippets of text
        > followed by links, so it is increasingly viewed as spam. I am
        > looking for a way, paid if need be, to get it into the hands of the
        > recipients. I've wondered about sending it locally, using some sort
        > of clip(s), so that it is not bulk-mailed. I do not presently use a
        > local mail server, but could if this would help. Many of the
        > recipients do not want to use rss because they struggle enough to
        > learn e-mail, so while I offer an rss feed, a reliable way to deliver
        > the newsletter by e-mail would be the best.
        >
        > I would appreciate any suggestions.
        >
        > Dean
        Hi Dean,

        Well my first reaction is RSS ... but you suggest that is not too good
        an idea. Try re-thinking it. Thunderbird (and the new Outlook Express
        shipped with Vista I think) makes RSS just like email.

        The next thing I would suggest is that you drop the link quantity. Why
        not simply link to a single page that has the links?

        Next I would suggest that you have a look at a great little mailing list
        manager: http://mojo.skazat.com/

        It's the bomb if you have perl available to you. I am available (cheap)
        if you need help installing it. It does a great job and even creates
        on-line archives. So as an alternative you can refer your people to
        that page if they cannot get the whole email thus satisfying the above
        suggestion. People with touchy spam filters can request that they just
        receive the link to the archive if you set up two lists, one for the
        full distro and one for just the link to the full distro.

        Don