Possible simplification to "Replace MS Notepad" when WFP has to be disabled.

  • Alec Burgess(g)
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 28, 2006
      Jody/et.al.:

      Who is the maven of using the Help-"Replace MS Notepad" with Notetab and not getting fouled up by Windows File Protection?

      I think you have what IIRC you said was an experimental clip (or procedure) I guess no longer experimental?

      that would do the job. Is that right?

      I haven't replaced Notetab since using Win98 (I like having Notepad for really really simple jobs when I double click on an unknown - but - text file.

      In any case: in this weeks LangaList Fred opines about WFP and describes a free single purpose utility: Windows File Protection Switcher ( http://tinyurl.com/sxkal ) I haven't looked at it but if it performs as described, I think it might be useful as a component of the replacement job - to turn WFP off at the beginning and back on at the end after MS NOtepad has been replaced.

      If it works as described maybe users s/b requested to download it as part of the clip that replaces MS Notetab. Seems like it could be a 2 3-line clip (not tested) and in "pseudo" clip code:

      H="toggle MS Notepad replace with Notetab" ^! call WFPS - OFF ^!Menu/Help/"Replace MS Notetab ..." ^! call WFPS - ON

      H="toggle Notetab replacement back to MS Notepad" ^! call WFPS - OFF ^!Menu/Help/" whatever that menu item turns into when replacement has been done" ^! call WFPS - ON

      Anyone (Jody?) got time to have a look at this?

      Regards ... Alec -- buralex(@gmail))
      --
    • Brian Binder
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 28, 2006
        There's been quite a few posts on this. It's a shame how many problems
        stem from WFP kicking in when you really don't need it to.

        I actually started making customized Windows XP install CD's with WFP
        disabled right from the start so I never ever run into these issues.
        Definitely saves my hair...for now :P