[NTO] Re: Free Upgrade (I have a question)

  • Stefan Elssner
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 21, 2006
      Hi Alec,

      > Just curious Stefan if you happened to have looked at both,
      > anywhere that you see the Regex Buddy: site and/or program as
      > significantly superior to Regex Coach?

      I never used Regex Coach, just had a look at it some times ago when an
      intern did some playing with it. I have a copy of RegexBuddy but I use
      it rather seldom. Most of the time my regexp needs are rather simple
      and a good tutorial with some samples plus the language specific
      manual is enough to solve my problems.

      I remember that by looking at Regex Coach I felt RegexBuddy would be
      better for getting things done (despite the cost), but I can't
      remember why exactly.

      Features of RegexBuddy that I found really useful (and that saved me a
      lot of trial and error testing time with some more complex regex
      problems) are:

      - "Sample View" or whatever the feature really is called - you can
      load any file as a "sample" into a special edit control inside the
      application and your regex will be run against this, if you like with
      life refresh, as far as I remember. So will show you the effect of
      what you are doing in real time without affecting your valuable live data.

      - Once your regex is settled to the state you think it's right you can
      export it in the proper format for a couple of programming languages
      to get a ready-to-use code snippet. NoteTab Clip Syntax is not in the
      range of supported formats, sadly ... ;-)

      AFAIK RegexBuddy is just the only program for that the author offers
      no Demo/Shareware Version, only the buy-then-download, plus it's
      money-back guarantee.

      The program is good, anyway, and I personally trust the author since
      years now. I'm as sure as I can be that you will get your money back
      if you decide to do a try-buy and then find the program is not worth
      the money to you...

      Sorry for the late feedback!

      I assume, Sheri's answer helped you solving your problem?

      Regards
      Stefan