Re: [NTO] PHP Script For Site Search - correction

  • David Smart
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 18, 2006
      You need to look at the HTML that goes to the browser - i.e. do a view
      source. If the links aren't working, then presumably the generated HTML is
      wrong.

      Once you've found what's wrong with the generated HTML, you can look at
      fixing the PHP that generates it.

      Regards, Dave S

      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 18, 2006
        Ray,

        Maybe this page will help you further...

        http://members.aol.com/grassblad/html/selMenu.html

        Hugo

        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 18, 2006
          Ray Shapp wrote:
          >I haven't replied because I'm still reading about how forms work in HTML. The
          >links in the pull-down windows are not active. IOW, clicking on any one of
          >them does not launch the specified page.

          No, that's JavaScript behavior. There isn't (can't be) any true links in
          the select box. A form needs to be properly submitted if JS doesn't
          intervene. Personally I don't like the jump version, because I tend to
          click when I don't mean to and then I have to go back and do it all over.
          Apart from that there's no reason you can't combine the two. If JS is
          available it does its thing and the form is never submitted. If JS isn't
          available the form works because of the server-side script. You could even
          hide the submit button with JS and people with JS available will never see it.
          <http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/forms/navmenu.html#comb>

          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 19, 2006
            David Smart wrote:
            >You need to look at the HTML that goes to the browser - i.e. do a view
            >source. If the links aren't working, then presumably the generated HTML is
            >wrong.
            >
            >Once you've found what's wrong with the generated HTML, you can look at
            >fixing the PHP that generates it.

            There is no generated HTML. Ray wanted the form to work as a JavaScript
            "jump box" does, i.e. without having to use the submit button. But a it
            can't do that, not without JavaScript.