Re: [NTO] PHP Script For Site Search - correction

  • Ray Shapp
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 18, 2006
      Hi Lotta,

      I haven't replied because I'm still reading about how forms work in HTML. The
      links in the pull-down windows are not active. IOW, clicking on any one of
      them does not launch the specified page.

      Thanks for your help.

      Ray Shapp

      You said:

      I understood that. My links were meant as examples. Build the select box
      with whatever links you want.

      Or did I misunderstand and you want PHP to generate link to all pages at
      your site?

      Lotta
    • David Smart
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 18, 2006
        You need to look at the HTML that goes to the browser - i.e. do a view
        source. If the links aren't working, then presumably the generated HTML is
        wrong.

        Once you've found what's wrong with the generated HTML, you can look at
        fixing the PHP that generates it.

        Regards, Dave S

        > I haven't replied because I'm still reading about how forms work in HTML.
        > The
        > links in the pull-down windows are not active. IOW, clicking on any one of
        > them does not launch the specified page.
        >
        > Thanks for your help.
        >
        > Ray Shapp
        >
        > You said:
        >
        > I understood that. My links were meant as examples. Build the select box
        > with whatever links you want.
        >
        > Or did I misunderstand and you want PHP to generate link to all pages at
        > your site?
        >
        > Lotta
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Hugo
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 18, 2006
          Ray,

          Maybe this page will help you further...

          http://members.aol.com/grassblad/html/selMenu.html

          Hugo

          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 18, 2006
            Ray Shapp wrote:
            >I haven't replied because I'm still reading about how forms work in HTML. The
            >links in the pull-down windows are not active. IOW, clicking on any one of
            >them does not launch the specified page.

            No, that's JavaScript behavior. There isn't (can't be) any true links in
            the select box. A form needs to be properly submitted if JS doesn't
            intervene. Personally I don't like the jump version, because I tend to
            click when I don't mean to and then I have to go back and do it all over.
            Apart from that there's no reason you can't combine the two. If JS is
            available it does its thing and the form is never submitted. If JS isn't
            available the form works because of the server-side script. You could even
            hide the submit button with JS and people with JS available will never see it.
            <http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/forms/navmenu.html#comb>

            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 19, 2006
              David Smart wrote:
              >You need to look at the HTML that goes to the browser - i.e. do a view
              >source. If the links aren't working, then presumably the generated HTML is
              >wrong.
              >
              >Once you've found what's wrong with the generated HTML, you can look at
              >fixing the PHP that generates it.

              There is no generated HTML. Ray wanted the form to work as a JavaScript
              "jump box" does, i.e. without having to use the submit button. But a it
              can't do that, not without JavaScript.