Re: [NTO] PHP Script For Site Search - correction

    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 15, 2006
      Ray Shapp wrote:
      >I already have the Google tool running on the website. what I want to do
      >is to
      >make up a list of about a hundred hyperlinks to various pages on my site, and
      >provide a drop-down window where a user could click on one of the links to go
      >to desired parts of my site.

      I understood that. My links were meant as examples. Build the select box
      with whatever links you want.

      Or did I misunderstand and you want PHP to generate link to all pages at
      your site?

      Lotta
    • Ray Shapp
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 18, 2006
        Hi Lotta,

        I haven't replied because I'm still reading about how forms work in HTML. The
        links in the pull-down windows are not active. IOW, clicking on any one of
        them does not launch the specified page.

        Thanks for your help.

        Ray Shapp

        You said:

        I understood that. My links were meant as examples. Build the select box
        with whatever links you want.

        Or did I misunderstand and you want PHP to generate link to all pages at
        your site?

        Lotta
      • David Smart
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 18, 2006
          You need to look at the HTML that goes to the browser - i.e. do a view
          source. If the links aren't working, then presumably the generated HTML is
          wrong.

          Once you've found what's wrong with the generated HTML, you can look at
          fixing the PHP that generates it.

          Regards, Dave S

          > I haven't replied because I'm still reading about how forms work in HTML.
          > The
          > links in the pull-down windows are not active. IOW, clicking on any one of
          > them does not launch the specified page.
          >
          > Thanks for your help.
          >
          > Ray Shapp
          >
          > You said:
          >
          > I understood that. My links were meant as examples. Build the select box
          > with whatever links you want.
          >
          > Or did I misunderstand and you want PHP to generate link to all pages at
          > your site?
          >
          > Lotta
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Hugo
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 18, 2006
            Ray,

            Maybe this page will help you further...

            http://members.aol.com/grassblad/html/selMenu.html

            Hugo

            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 18, 2006
              Ray Shapp wrote:
              >I haven't replied because I'm still reading about how forms work in HTML. The
              >links in the pull-down windows are not active. IOW, clicking on any one of
              >them does not launch the specified page.

              No, that's JavaScript behavior. There isn't (can't be) any true links in
              the select box. A form needs to be properly submitted if JS doesn't
              intervene. Personally I don't like the jump version, because I tend to
              click when I don't mean to and then I have to go back and do it all over.
              Apart from that there's no reason you can't combine the two. If JS is
              available it does its thing and the form is never submitted. If JS isn't
              available the form works because of the server-side script. You could even
              hide the submit button with JS and people with JS available will never see it.
              <http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/forms/navmenu.html#comb>

              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 19, 2006
                David Smart wrote:
                >You need to look at the HTML that goes to the browser - i.e. do a view
                >source. If the links aren't working, then presumably the generated HTML is
                >wrong.
                >
                >Once you've found what's wrong with the generated HTML, you can look at
                >fixing the PHP that generates it.

                There is no generated HTML. Ray wanted the form to work as a JavaScript
                "jump box" does, i.e. without having to use the submit button. But a it
                can't do that, not without JavaScript.