Re: [NTO] PHP Script For Site Search - correction

    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 14, 2006
      Oops! Typed too fast and got the select button nested in the select.

      ><option value="notetab.com">Text editor</option>
      ><input type="submit">
      ></select>
      ></form>

      <form action="script.php" method="get">
      <select name="whereto">
      <option value="google.com">Search the Web</option>
      <option value="notetab.com">Text editor</option>
      </select>
      <input type="submit">
      </form>

      Lotta
    • Ray Shapp
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 15, 2006
        Hi Lotta,

        Thanks for the reply.

        I already have the Google tool running on the website. what I want to do is to
        make up a list of about a hundred hyperlinks to various pages on my site, and
        provide a drop-down window where a user could click on one of the links to go
        to desired parts of my site.

        As an example, the following website implemented this idea using JavaScript. I
        want to do it in PHP. See http://www.princetonastronomy.org/

        They have the search tool listed under "Site map"

        Ray Shapp
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 15, 2006
          Ray Shapp wrote:
          >I already have the Google tool running on the website. what I want to do
          >is to
          >make up a list of about a hundred hyperlinks to various pages on my site, and
          >provide a drop-down window where a user could click on one of the links to go
          >to desired parts of my site.

          I understood that. My links were meant as examples. Build the select box
          with whatever links you want.

          Or did I misunderstand and you want PHP to generate link to all pages at
          your site?

          Lotta
        • Ray Shapp
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 18, 2006
            Hi Lotta,

            I haven't replied because I'm still reading about how forms work in HTML. The
            links in the pull-down windows are not active. IOW, clicking on any one of
            them does not launch the specified page.

            Thanks for your help.

            Ray Shapp

            You said:

            I understood that. My links were meant as examples. Build the select box
            with whatever links you want.

            Or did I misunderstand and you want PHP to generate link to all pages at
            your site?

            Lotta
          • David Smart
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 18, 2006
              You need to look at the HTML that goes to the browser - i.e. do a view
              source. If the links aren't working, then presumably the generated HTML is
              wrong.

              Once you've found what's wrong with the generated HTML, you can look at
              fixing the PHP that generates it.

              Regards, Dave S

              > I haven't replied because I'm still reading about how forms work in HTML.
              > The
              > links in the pull-down windows are not active. IOW, clicking on any one of
              > them does not launch the specified page.
              >
              > Thanks for your help.
              >
              > Ray Shapp
              >
              > You said:
              >
              > I understood that. My links were meant as examples. Build the select box
              > with whatever links you want.
              >
              > Or did I misunderstand and you want PHP to generate link to all pages at
              > your site?
              >
              > Lotta
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Hugo
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 18, 2006
                Ray,

                Maybe this page will help you further...

                http://members.aol.com/grassblad/html/selMenu.html

                Hugo

                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 18, 2006
                  Ray Shapp wrote:
                  >I haven't replied because I'm still reading about how forms work in HTML. The
                  >links in the pull-down windows are not active. IOW, clicking on any one of
                  >them does not launch the specified page.

                  No, that's JavaScript behavior. There isn't (can't be) any true links in
                  the select box. A form needs to be properly submitted if JS doesn't
                  intervene. Personally I don't like the jump version, because I tend to
                  click when I don't mean to and then I have to go back and do it all over.
                  Apart from that there's no reason you can't combine the two. If JS is
                  available it does its thing and the form is never submitted. If JS isn't
                  available the form works because of the server-side script. You could even
                  hide the submit button with JS and people with JS available will never see it.
                  <http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/forms/navmenu.html#comb>

                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 19, 2006
                    David Smart wrote:
                    >You need to look at the HTML that goes to the browser - i.e. do a view
                    >source. If the links aren't working, then presumably the generated HTML is
                    >wrong.
                    >
                    >Once you've found what's wrong with the generated HTML, you can look at
                    >fixing the PHP that generates it.

                    There is no generated HTML. Ray wanted the form to work as a JavaScript
                    "jump box" does, i.e. without having to use the submit button. But a it
                    can't do that, not without JavaScript.