Re: [NTO] Re: Free Upgrade (I have a question)

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 10 9:36 AM
      Sheri: On 9/10/06, Sheri <silvermoonwoman@...> wrote:
      > --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Alec Burgess" <buralex@...>
      > wrote:

      > > Sheryl: Are you here?
      > Do you mean Sheri? :)
      Freudian slip or something: Sheryl Canter was "BOSS" of the PCmag
      beta-utilities group and the source of ALL knowledge <GRIN>

      > > What I want are simplest form expression(s) that don't include
      > > explicit use of "\r\n" and any more than absolutely necessary
      > > use of (?-m-s) modifiers.

      > I don't understand the requirement you stated. Is it lines that have
      > the literal text "- csv2html" or "- html2xml" anywhere on them that
      > you want to show?

      Sorry ... hope this makes it clearer ...
      I have an enormously long list of files names (actually the contents
      of the Cywin package)
      SOME of them are conversion programs (usually of the form aax2bby).

      ^possible_junk aax2bby possible_junk ((possible DOT) possible_extension)$
      ^possible_junk possible_junk ((possible DOT) possible_extension)$
      ^possible_junk aax2bby possible_junk ((possible DOT) possible_extension)$
      ^possible_junk aax2bby possible_junk ((possible DOT) possible_extension)$

      without (^ and $)
      initially there are ZERO blank lines.

      given a large file with lines that DO match the and DO_NOT match
      the above "specification" intermixed singly and in blocks;
      I want two Find/Replace dialog box contents:
      (1)
      FIND=regex_1
      REPLACE=empty

      (2)
      FIND=regex_2
      REPLACE=empty

      FIND(1) should with with each click of [Find next] find&highlight the
      next BLOCK that contains succesive lines that DO match the
      specification.

      FIND(2) ditto ... except find BLOCKs that DO NOT match the specification.

      Thus with Find-Replace dialog (1):
      - one click on the [Replace All] button will leave me with a file
      that contains JUST the lines that match (and NO leftover, created
      BLANK lines)

      And with dialog(2): and the same inital file one click on [Replace
      All] will leave JUST lines that DO NOT match, NO lefover blank lines.

      What I want (as well) is to be able to plug regex_1 and regex_2 into
      either Notetab Replace dialog or DIRegEx_Workbench and get the same
      results.

      ie. what results from Expression-1 and Expression-2, partition the
      original file into two sub-files which if appended together would have
      the same number of lines as the original but with all the MATCHES at
      the top and all the NON-MATCHES at the bottom (or vice-versa depending
      on order used).

      Hope this makes it clearer? (even if not, writing it out like this
      makes it clearer to me)

      > For testing regular expressions on a sample of data using NoteTab
      > regex engine, try my clip "Preview Listing in Browser" (part of the
      > free Color Highlighting package posted in the files area of the
      > Clips list on Yahoo).

      Regards ... Alec
      --
    • Sheri
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 10 1:43 PM
        Alec,

        I would do a GetDocMatchAll to get matching lines, insert those
        lines in a new document and save it. Then run the match list
        as "stop words" against the main list using my stop words clip to
        produce the non-matching list.

        H="Matches"
        ^!SetListDelimiter ^P
        ^!SetCode %matches%=^$GetDocMatchAll((?i)^.*?[a-z]{2,}2[a-z]{2,}.*^%
        DOLLAR%;0)$
        ^!Toolbar New Document
        ^!InsertCode ^%matches%
        ^!ClearVariable %matches%
        ;end of clip

        clips/message/15230

        HTH,
        Sheri
      • Stefan Elssner
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 21 2:40 PM
          Hi Alec,

          > Just curious Stefan if you happened to have looked at both,
          > anywhere that you see the Regex Buddy: site and/or program as
          > significantly superior to Regex Coach?

          I never used Regex Coach, just had a look at it some times ago when an
          intern did some playing with it. I have a copy of RegexBuddy but I use
          it rather seldom. Most of the time my regexp needs are rather simple
          and a good tutorial with some samples plus the language specific
          manual is enough to solve my problems.

          I remember that by looking at Regex Coach I felt RegexBuddy would be
          better for getting things done (despite the cost), but I can't
          remember why exactly.

          Features of RegexBuddy that I found really useful (and that saved me a
          lot of trial and error testing time with some more complex regex
          problems) are:

          - "Sample View" or whatever the feature really is called - you can
          load any file as a "sample" into a special edit control inside the
          application and your regex will be run against this, if you like with
          life refresh, as far as I remember. So will show you the effect of
          what you are doing in real time without affecting your valuable live data.

          - Once your regex is settled to the state you think it's right you can
          export it in the proper format for a couple of programming languages
          to get a ready-to-use code snippet. NoteTab Clip Syntax is not in the
          range of supported formats, sadly ... ;-)

          AFAIK RegexBuddy is just the only program for that the author offers
          no Demo/Shareware Version, only the buy-then-download, plus it's
          money-back guarantee.

          The program is good, anyway, and I personally trust the author since
          years now. I'm as sure as I can be that you will get your money back
          if you decide to do a try-buy and then find the program is not worth
          the money to you...

          Sorry for the late feedback!

          I assume, Sheri's answer helped you solving your problem?

          Regards
          Stefan