[NTO] Re: Free Upgrade (I have a question)

  • Sheri
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 10, 2006
      --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Alec Burgess" <buralex@...>
      wrote:

      > QUESTION:
      > I'm still having BIG problems with the new Notetab engine in how
      > to *handle* line endings w/o having to do them by try and fail
      > and try again:
      > eg. select only lines that match OR only lines
      > that do not match lines: of the form:
      > - csv2html,
      > - html2xml
      > when they are buried in a lengthy dir listing including
      > - csv2html
      > - csv2html.exe
      > - any_non-matching_junk.xxx
      > - all sorts of other stuff
      >
      > with a view to using a single replace dialog command(s) which
      either:
      > remove all *but* the *junk* or
      > removes *only* the *junk*
      >
      > Every once in a while, I get it accidentally, but then forget how
      > I did it the next time :(
      >
      > What I want are simplest form expression(s) that don't include
      > explicit use of "\r\n" and any more than absolutely necessary
      > use of (?-m-s) modifiers.
      >
      > Sheryl: Are you here?

      Do you mean Sheri? :)

      I don't understand the requirement you stated. Is it lines that have
      the literal text "- csv2html" or "- html2xml" anywhere on them that
      you want to show?

      For testing regular expressions on a sample of data using NoteTab
      regex engine, try my clip "Preview Listing in Browser" (part of the
      free Color Highlighting package posted in the files area of the
      Clips list on Yahoo).

      Regards,
      Sheri
    • Alec Burgess
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 10, 2006
        Sheri: On 9/10/06, Sheri <silvermoonwoman@...> wrote:
        > --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Alec Burgess" <buralex@...>
        > wrote:

        > > Sheryl: Are you here?
        > Do you mean Sheri? :)
        Freudian slip or something: Sheryl Canter was "BOSS" of the PCmag
        beta-utilities group and the source of ALL knowledge <GRIN>

        > > What I want are simplest form expression(s) that don't include
        > > explicit use of "\r\n" and any more than absolutely necessary
        > > use of (?-m-s) modifiers.

        > I don't understand the requirement you stated. Is it lines that have
        > the literal text "- csv2html" or "- html2xml" anywhere on them that
        > you want to show?

        Sorry ... hope this makes it clearer ...
        I have an enormously long list of files names (actually the contents
        of the Cywin package)
        SOME of them are conversion programs (usually of the form aax2bby).

        ^possible_junk aax2bby possible_junk ((possible DOT) possible_extension)$
        ^possible_junk possible_junk ((possible DOT) possible_extension)$
        ^possible_junk aax2bby possible_junk ((possible DOT) possible_extension)$
        ^possible_junk aax2bby possible_junk ((possible DOT) possible_extension)$

        without (^ and $)
        initially there are ZERO blank lines.

        given a large file with lines that DO match the and DO_NOT match
        the above "specification" intermixed singly and in blocks;
        I want two Find/Replace dialog box contents:
        (1)
        FIND=regex_1
        REPLACE=empty

        (2)
        FIND=regex_2
        REPLACE=empty

        FIND(1) should with with each click of [Find next] find&highlight the
        next BLOCK that contains succesive lines that DO match the
        specification.

        FIND(2) ditto ... except find BLOCKs that DO NOT match the specification.

        Thus with Find-Replace dialog (1):
        - one click on the [Replace All] button will leave me with a file
        that contains JUST the lines that match (and NO leftover, created
        BLANK lines)

        And with dialog(2): and the same inital file one click on [Replace
        All] will leave JUST lines that DO NOT match, NO lefover blank lines.

        What I want (as well) is to be able to plug regex_1 and regex_2 into
        either Notetab Replace dialog or DIRegEx_Workbench and get the same
        results.

        ie. what results from Expression-1 and Expression-2, partition the
        original file into two sub-files which if appended together would have
        the same number of lines as the original but with all the MATCHES at
        the top and all the NON-MATCHES at the bottom (or vice-versa depending
        on order used).

        Hope this makes it clearer? (even if not, writing it out like this
        makes it clearer to me)

        > For testing regular expressions on a sample of data using NoteTab
        > regex engine, try my clip "Preview Listing in Browser" (part of the
        > free Color Highlighting package posted in the files area of the
        > Clips list on Yahoo).

        Regards ... Alec
        --
      • Sheri
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 10, 2006
          Alec,

          I would do a GetDocMatchAll to get matching lines, insert those
          lines in a new document and save it. Then run the match list
          as "stop words" against the main list using my stop words clip to
          produce the non-matching list.

          H="Matches"
          ^!SetListDelimiter ^P
          ^!SetCode %matches%=^$GetDocMatchAll((?i)^.*?[a-z]{2,}2[a-z]{2,}.*^%
          DOLLAR%;0)$
          ^!Toolbar New Document
          ^!InsertCode ^%matches%
          ^!ClearVariable %matches%
          ;end of clip

          clips/message/15230

          HTH,
          Sheri
        • Stefan Elssner
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 21, 2006
            Hi Alec,

            > Just curious Stefan if you happened to have looked at both,
            > anywhere that you see the Regex Buddy: site and/or program as
            > significantly superior to Regex Coach?

            I never used Regex Coach, just had a look at it some times ago when an
            intern did some playing with it. I have a copy of RegexBuddy but I use
            it rather seldom. Most of the time my regexp needs are rather simple
            and a good tutorial with some samples plus the language specific
            manual is enough to solve my problems.

            I remember that by looking at Regex Coach I felt RegexBuddy would be
            better for getting things done (despite the cost), but I can't
            remember why exactly.

            Features of RegexBuddy that I found really useful (and that saved me a
            lot of trial and error testing time with some more complex regex
            problems) are:

            - "Sample View" or whatever the feature really is called - you can
            load any file as a "sample" into a special edit control inside the
            application and your regex will be run against this, if you like with
            life refresh, as far as I remember. So will show you the effect of
            what you are doing in real time without affecting your valuable live data.

            - Once your regex is settled to the state you think it's right you can
            export it in the proper format for a couple of programming languages
            to get a ready-to-use code snippet. NoteTab Clip Syntax is not in the
            range of supported formats, sadly ... ;-)

            AFAIK RegexBuddy is just the only program for that the author offers
            no Demo/Shareware Version, only the buy-then-download, plus it's
            money-back guarantee.

            The program is good, anyway, and I personally trust the author since
            years now. I'm as sure as I can be that you will get your money back
            if you decide to do a try-buy and then find the program is not worth
            the money to you...

            Sorry for the late feedback!

            I assume, Sheri's answer helped you solving your problem?

            Regards
            Stefan