Re: [NTO] batch encrypting of .htaccess passwords

  • Mike Breiding
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 4, 2006
      --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Janes" <bob.janes@...> wrote:

      > Hi Mike,
      >
      > > I am currently using . . . to generate encrypted passwords.
      > > Do any of you know how I can do this in a batch mode without buying
      > specialty software?
      >
      > How many do you want? I wrote a little Excel spreadsheet to generate
      random
      > passwords for another project. There are only two lines to it really:
      >
      > In cell A1 paste the string of possible characters:
      >
      > ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ123456789abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
      >
      > And somewhere else copy and paste this formula:
      >
      > =MID($A$1, RAND()*LEN($A$1),1)&MID($A$1, RAND()*LEN($A$1),1)&MID($A$1,
      > RAND()*LEN($A$1),1)&MID($A$1, RAND()*LEN($A$1),1)&MID($A$1,
      > RAND()*LEN($A$1),1)&MID($A$1, RAND()*LEN($A$1),1)&MID($A$1,
      > RAND()*LEN($A$1),1)&MID($A$1, RAND()*LEN($A$1),1)
      >
      > At present this generates 8 character passwords - there's no particular
      > requirement that they include numbers though this could be added I
      guess.
      > There's also a little glitch and you sometimes get #VALUE! errors, I
      just
      > ignore them.
      >
      > If you paste the formula into a block of twenty cells then you'll
      get 20n
      > new passwords each time you refresh the spreadsheet. Use Copy & Paste
      > Special | Values to keep them for later use.
      >
      > Best wishes
      >
      > Bob

      Hi Bob,
      Does this actually encrypt them for .htaccess use on an Apache server
      or does it generate random passwords only.

      For some reason the link I included in my original post to clarify how
      and what I am currently using appears to have been replaced with "...".

      I am not sure how or why that happended.
      Here is the link again.
      http://www.rekka.net/cgi-bin/htpasswd.
      I removed "cgi" from the file name incase that is why it was being
      changed to "..."

      Thanks,
      -Mike
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 4, 2006
        Mike Breiding wrote:
        >I am currently using this site:
        >http://www.rekka.net/cgi-bin/htpasswd.cgi to generate encrypted passwords.
        >
        >Do any of you know how I can do this in a batch mode without buying
        >specialty software? I am doing the project as a volunteer and there is
        >no money available to buy software.

        On your Windows machine? Try this one. Scroll down to "Encode UNIX Password".
        <http://www.magsys.co.uk/apps/>

        Lotta
      • Mike Breiding
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 4, 2006
          --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, loro <loro-spam01-@...> wrote:

          > Mike Breiding wrote:
          > >I am currently using this site:
          > >http://www.rekka.net/cgi-bin/htpasswd.cgi to generate encrypted
          passwords.

          > >Do any of you know how I can do this in a batch mode without buying
          > >specialty software? I am doing the project as a volunteer and there is
          > >no money available to buy software.
          >
          > On your Windows machine? Try this one. Scroll down to "Encode UNIX
          Password".
          > <http://www.magsys.co.uk/apps/>
          > Lotta

          AWESOME