RE: [NTO] batch encrypting of .htaccess passwords

  • Bob Janes
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 4, 2006
      Hi Mike,

      > I am currently using . . . to generate encrypted passwords.
      > Do any of you know how I can do this in a batch mode without buying
      specialty software?

      How many do you want? I wrote a little Excel spreadsheet to generate random
      passwords for another project. There are only two lines to it really:

      In cell A1 paste the string of possible characters:

      ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ123456789abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

      And somewhere else copy and paste this formula:

      =MID($A$1, RAND()*LEN($A$1),1)&MID($A$1, RAND()*LEN($A$1),1)&MID($A$1,
      RAND()*LEN($A$1),1)&MID($A$1, RAND()*LEN($A$1),1)&MID($A$1,
      RAND()*LEN($A$1),1)&MID($A$1, RAND()*LEN($A$1),1)&MID($A$1,
      RAND()*LEN($A$1),1)&MID($A$1, RAND()*LEN($A$1),1)

      At present this generates 8 character passwords - there's no particular
      requirement that they include numbers though this could be added I guess.
      There's also a little glitch and you sometimes get #VALUE! errors, I just
      ignore them.

      If you paste the formula into a block of twenty cells then you'll get 20n
      new passwords each time you refresh the spreadsheet. Use Copy & Paste
      Special | Values to keep them for later use.

      Best wishes

      Bob

      --
      Bob Janes
      bob@...

      We carry within us wonders we seek without us. ~ Thomas Browne
    • Mike Breiding
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 4, 2006
        --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Janes" <bob.janes@...> wrote:

        > Hi Mike,
        >
        > > I am currently using . . . to generate encrypted passwords.
        > > Do any of you know how I can do this in a batch mode without buying
        > specialty software?
        >
        > How many do you want? I wrote a little Excel spreadsheet to generate
        random
        > passwords for another project. There are only two lines to it really:
        >
        > In cell A1 paste the string of possible characters:
        >
        > ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ123456789abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
        >
        > And somewhere else copy and paste this formula:
        >
        > =MID($A$1, RAND()*LEN($A$1),1)&MID($A$1, RAND()*LEN($A$1),1)&MID($A$1,
        > RAND()*LEN($A$1),1)&MID($A$1, RAND()*LEN($A$1),1)&MID($A$1,
        > RAND()*LEN($A$1),1)&MID($A$1, RAND()*LEN($A$1),1)&MID($A$1,
        > RAND()*LEN($A$1),1)&MID($A$1, RAND()*LEN($A$1),1)
        >
        > At present this generates 8 character passwords - there's no particular
        > requirement that they include numbers though this could be added I
        guess.
        > There's also a little glitch and you sometimes get #VALUE! errors, I
        just
        > ignore them.
        >
        > If you paste the formula into a block of twenty cells then you'll
        get 20n
        > new passwords each time you refresh the spreadsheet. Use Copy & Paste
        > Special | Values to keep them for later use.
        >
        > Best wishes
        >
        > Bob

        Hi Bob,
        Does this actually encrypt them for .htaccess use on an Apache server
        or does it generate random passwords only.

        For some reason the link I included in my original post to clarify how
        and what I am currently using appears to have been replaced with "...".

        I am not sure how or why that happended.
        Here is the link again.
        http://www.rekka.net/cgi-bin/htpasswd.
        I removed "cgi" from the file name incase that is why it was being
        changed to "..."

        Thanks,
        -Mike
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 4, 2006
          Mike Breiding wrote:
          >I am currently using this site:
          >http://www.rekka.net/cgi-bin/htpasswd.cgi to generate encrypted passwords.
          >
          >Do any of you know how I can do this in a batch mode without buying
          >specialty software? I am doing the project as a volunteer and there is
          >no money available to buy software.

          On your Windows machine? Try this one. Scroll down to "Encode UNIX Password".
          <http://www.magsys.co.uk/apps/>

          Lotta
        • Mike Breiding
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 4, 2006
            --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, loro <loro-spam01-@...> wrote:

            > Mike Breiding wrote:
            > >I am currently using this site:
            > >http://www.rekka.net/cgi-bin/htpasswd.cgi to generate encrypted
            passwords.

            > >Do any of you know how I can do this in a batch mode without buying
            > >specialty software? I am doing the project as a volunteer and there is
            > >no money available to buy software.
            >
            > On your Windows machine? Try this one. Scroll down to "Encode UNIX
            Password".
            > <http://www.magsys.co.uk/apps/>
            > Lotta

            AWESOME