batch encrypting of .htaccess passwords

  • Mike Breiding
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 4 7:35 AM
      I am currently using this site:
      http://www.rekka.net/cgi-bin/htpasswd.cgi to generate encrypted passwords.

      Do any of you know how I can do this in a batch mode without buying
      specialty software? I am doing the project as a volunteer and there is
      no money available to buy software.

      Thanks,
      -Mike
    • Bob Janes
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 4 7:54 AM
        Hi Mike,

        > I am currently using . . . to generate encrypted passwords.
        > Do any of you know how I can do this in a batch mode without buying
        specialty software?

        How many do you want? I wrote a little Excel spreadsheet to generate random
        passwords for another project. There are only two lines to it really:

        In cell A1 paste the string of possible characters:

        ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ123456789abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

        And somewhere else copy and paste this formula:

        =MID($A$1, RAND()*LEN($A$1),1)&MID($A$1, RAND()*LEN($A$1),1)&MID($A$1,
        RAND()*LEN($A$1),1)&MID($A$1, RAND()*LEN($A$1),1)&MID($A$1,
        RAND()*LEN($A$1),1)&MID($A$1, RAND()*LEN($A$1),1)&MID($A$1,
        RAND()*LEN($A$1),1)&MID($A$1, RAND()*LEN($A$1),1)

        At present this generates 8 character passwords - there's no particular
        requirement that they include numbers though this could be added I guess.
        There's also a little glitch and you sometimes get #VALUE! errors, I just
        ignore them.

        If you paste the formula into a block of twenty cells then you'll get 20n
        new passwords each time you refresh the spreadsheet. Use Copy & Paste
        Special | Values to keep them for later use.

        Best wishes

        Bob

        --
        Bob Janes
        bob@...

        We carry within us wonders we seek without us. ~ Thomas Browne
      • Mike Breiding
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 4 8:12 AM
          --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Janes" <bob.janes@...> wrote:

          > Hi Mike,
          >
          > > I am currently using . . . to generate encrypted passwords.
          > > Do any of you know how I can do this in a batch mode without buying
          > specialty software?
          >
          > How many do you want? I wrote a little Excel spreadsheet to generate
          random
          > passwords for another project. There are only two lines to it really:
          >
          > In cell A1 paste the string of possible characters:
          >
          > ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ123456789abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
          >
          > And somewhere else copy and paste this formula:
          >
          > =MID($A$1, RAND()*LEN($A$1),1)&MID($A$1, RAND()*LEN($A$1),1)&MID($A$1,
          > RAND()*LEN($A$1),1)&MID($A$1, RAND()*LEN($A$1),1)&MID($A$1,
          > RAND()*LEN($A$1),1)&MID($A$1, RAND()*LEN($A$1),1)&MID($A$1,
          > RAND()*LEN($A$1),1)&MID($A$1, RAND()*LEN($A$1),1)
          >
          > At present this generates 8 character passwords - there's no particular
          > requirement that they include numbers though this could be added I
          guess.
          > There's also a little glitch and you sometimes get #VALUE! errors, I
          just
          > ignore them.
          >
          > If you paste the formula into a block of twenty cells then you'll
          get 20n
          > new passwords each time you refresh the spreadsheet. Use Copy & Paste
          > Special | Values to keep them for later use.
          >
          > Best wishes
          >
          > Bob

          Hi Bob,
          Does this actually encrypt them for .htaccess use on an Apache server
          or does it generate random passwords only.

          For some reason the link I included in my original post to clarify how
          and what I am currently using appears to have been replaced with "...".

          I am not sure how or why that happended.
          Here is the link again.
          http://www.rekka.net/cgi-bin/htpasswd.
          I removed "cgi" from the file name incase that is why it was being
          changed to "..."

          Thanks,
          -Mike
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 4 9:24 AM
            Mike Breiding wrote:
            >I am currently using this site:
            >http://www.rekka.net/cgi-bin/htpasswd.cgi to generate encrypted passwords.
            >
            >Do any of you know how I can do this in a batch mode without buying
            >specialty software? I am doing the project as a volunteer and there is
            >no money available to buy software.

            On your Windows machine? Try this one. Scroll down to "Encode UNIX Password".
            <http://www.magsys.co.uk/apps/>

            Lotta
          • Mike Breiding
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 4 9:41 AM
              --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, loro <loro-spam01-@...> wrote:

              > Mike Breiding wrote:
              > >I am currently using this site:
              > >http://www.rekka.net/cgi-bin/htpasswd.cgi to generate encrypted
              passwords.

              > >Do any of you know how I can do this in a batch mode without buying
              > >specialty software? I am doing the project as a volunteer and there is
              > >no money available to buy software.
              >
              > On your Windows machine? Try this one. Scroll down to "Encode UNIX
              Password".
              > <http://www.magsys.co.uk/apps/>
              > Lotta

              AWESOME