Re: [NTO] Free Upgrade (I have a question)

  • ladyck3@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 31, 2006
      I purchased the upgrade, I have been a loyal user for... well many many years... let's see....since March of 2000 so that's 6.5 yrs now... and am happy to see the long awaited 5.x arrive.

      However, everyone talks about all of the major improvements regarding REGEX, what in the world is REGEX? (so its a part of the program that I've not used, this may be a stupid user trick, but I have to ask).

      Then it is said other minor changes were made. Quite frankly, I see no difference in the program other than I have no clue how to import my customizations so I have to go through and reset all my colors and preferences <sigh>. However, this program has been a mainstay of mine for 6+ years and would not do without it.

      Fookes software (Eric and Jodi) have been quite fare with me in the past on other issues, like Jodi said, we won't discuss this here... I am loyal because they are loyal.

      HOWEVER! The one area of disappointment that I have is the fact that the major request that I had for NTB did not come to fruition, and that is Outlines which can be made into trees, with hierachy... indents, sub_articles... but that wish was realized in another application.

      Now since this is the NTO group and I have seen the mention of many applications in the past, in this topic group, that I have sought out and checked because it was recommended by one or another, I offer this to everyone.

      If your interest is Outlines, and that is where NTB shines, for my use, you may wish to check out another application which works perfectly fantastical along side of NoteTab, you can even use your OTL files within this program... check out the program called "INSIGHT" from www.dataomega.com I'm telling you all, if Outlines are your cup of tea, Insight is something you should take the time to check.

      I use both NTB and Insight religiously... now my work needs have changed some so I don't use them as much as I did a year ago, but I use them daily and am not sorry that I paid the extra fee for the upgrade.

      Someone stated they think that programs should, once paid for, be upgraded for free each time... yeah? Well talk to Unca Bill about that, with Windows, Office, and heck any other big league program, do you get THOSE upgrades for free? I think not! So please, as Jodi said, a cutoff has to be made somewhere and I fully understand your angst... trust me, I've had this happen to me as well.... you have to make the personal decision.... do I upgrade or do I not upgrade, and then deal with it.....

      Hugs 'n kisses y'all <batting eyes sweetly> LOL

      Laurie
      hehehehe, I kill me sometimes :)

      Oh yeah, and reader's digest condensed version, what is this REGEX everyone keeps talking about? Is this something to do with clips? I never did master that one either.. :)

      From: "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" <don@...>
      Please take this off topic or to private email.

      Thank you,
      Not the Moderator ;-)

      cc: Off Topic

      Visit Your Group
      Preventative maintenance software program
      Preventative maintenance program software
      Computer software program
      Help desk software program
      Scheduling program software
      Yahoo! TV
      Want the scoop?
      Check out today's
      news and gossip.
      New business?
      Get new customers.
      List your web site
      in Yahoo! Search.
      Yahoo! Groups
      Start a group
      in 3 easy steps.
      Connect with others..

    • Stefan Elssner
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 8 2:22 PM
        Hi,

        --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, ladyck3@... wrote:

        > However, everyone talks about all of the major improvements
        regarding REGEX, what in the world is REGEX? (so its a part of the
        program that I've not used, this may be a stupid user trick, but I
        have to ask).

        > Oh yeah, and reader's digest condensed version, what is this REGEX
        everyone keeps talking about? Is this something to do with clips? I
        never did master that one either.. :)

        It has nothing to do with clips (other than clips can use this feature
        by way of some of the clip functions).

        Really condensed:
        REGEX is a shorthand for Regular Expression(s) which stands for a
        powerful means to define text searches.

        A little more information can be found here, if wanted:
        [glossary.otl::Regular Expression]
        (Menu/Help/NoteTab Glossary)

        Next more complete information is in the NoteTab Help file, under
        Regular Expressions.

        Still not enough?
        Check http://www.regular-expressions.info
        which will not hesitate to provide you some hints to buy the author's
        software products, but nevertheless is a very good and comprehensive
        reference site on the topic.

        Regards,

        Stefan

        --
        elssner@...
      • Alec Burgess
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 10 4:01 AM
          I haven't looked at the http://www.regular-expressions.info
          that Stefan mentions (it touts Regex Buddy) very deeply at all
          but AFAICT http://weitz.de/cl-ppcre/ which touts Regex Coach is
          of similar quality but Regex Coach is FREE :)
          download: http://weitz.de/regex-coach/main
          help for Regex Coach: http://weitz.de/regex-coach/#howto

          Just curious Stefan if you happened to have looked at both,
          anywhere that you see the Regex Buddy: site and/or program as
          significantly superior to Regex Coach?

          I got the Regex Coach program and I've been site-googling trying
          to figure out how to show line-endings (ie. \r\n)
          *without success* so far :-(

          QUESTION:
          I'm still having BIG problems with the new Notetab engine in how
          to *handle* line endings w/o having to do them by try and fail
          and try again:
          eg. select only lines that match OR only lines
          that do not match lines: of the form:
          - csv2html,
          - html2xml
          when they are buried in a lengthy dir listing including
          - csv2html
          - csv2html.exe
          - any_non-matching_junk.xxx
          - all sorts of other stuff

          with a view to using a single replace dialog command(s) which either:
          remove all *but* the *junk* or
          removes *only* the *junk*

          Every once in a while, I get it accidentally, but then forget how
          I did it the next time :(

          What I want are simplest form expression(s) that don't include
          explicit use of "\r\n" and any more than absolutely necessary
          use of (?-m-s) modifiers.

          Sheryl: Are you here?

          Regards ... Alec
          --

          On 9/8/06, Stefan Elssner <elssner@...> wrote:

          > Still not enough?
          > Check
          > which will not hesitate to provide you some hints to buy the author's
          > software products, but nevertheless is a very good and comprehensive
          > reference site on the topic.
        • Sheri
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 10 7:55 AM
            --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Alec Burgess" <buralex@...>
            wrote:

            > QUESTION:
            > I'm still having BIG problems with the new Notetab engine in how
            > to *handle* line endings w/o having to do them by try and fail
            > and try again:
            > eg. select only lines that match OR only lines
            > that do not match lines: of the form:
            > - csv2html,
            > - html2xml
            > when they are buried in a lengthy dir listing including
            > - csv2html
            > - csv2html.exe
            > - any_non-matching_junk.xxx
            > - all sorts of other stuff
            >
            > with a view to using a single replace dialog command(s) which
            either:
            > remove all *but* the *junk* or
            > removes *only* the *junk*
            >
            > Every once in a while, I get it accidentally, but then forget how
            > I did it the next time :(
            >
            > What I want are simplest form expression(s) that don't include
            > explicit use of "\r\n" and any more than absolutely necessary
            > use of (?-m-s) modifiers.
            >
            > Sheryl: Are you here?

            Do you mean Sheri? :)

            I don't understand the requirement you stated. Is it lines that have
            the literal text "- csv2html" or "- html2xml" anywhere on them that
            you want to show?

            For testing regular expressions on a sample of data using NoteTab
            regex engine, try my clip "Preview Listing in Browser" (part of the
            free Color Highlighting package posted in the files area of the
            Clips list on Yahoo).

            Regards,
            Sheri
          • Alec Burgess
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 10 9:36 AM
              Sheri: On 9/10/06, Sheri <silvermoonwoman@...> wrote:
              > --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Alec Burgess" <buralex@...>
              > wrote:

              > > Sheryl: Are you here?
              > Do you mean Sheri? :)
              Freudian slip or something: Sheryl Canter was "BOSS" of the PCmag
              beta-utilities group and the source of ALL knowledge <GRIN>

              > > What I want are simplest form expression(s) that don't include
              > > explicit use of "\r\n" and any more than absolutely necessary
              > > use of (?-m-s) modifiers.

              > I don't understand the requirement you stated. Is it lines that have
              > the literal text "- csv2html" or "- html2xml" anywhere on them that
              > you want to show?

              Sorry ... hope this makes it clearer ...
              I have an enormously long list of files names (actually the contents
              of the Cywin package)
              SOME of them are conversion programs (usually of the form aax2bby).

              ^possible_junk aax2bby possible_junk ((possible DOT) possible_extension)$
              ^possible_junk possible_junk ((possible DOT) possible_extension)$
              ^possible_junk aax2bby possible_junk ((possible DOT) possible_extension)$
              ^possible_junk aax2bby possible_junk ((possible DOT) possible_extension)$

              without (^ and $)
              initially there are ZERO blank lines.

              given a large file with lines that DO match the and DO_NOT match
              the above "specification" intermixed singly and in blocks;
              I want two Find/Replace dialog box contents:
              (1)
              FIND=regex_1
              REPLACE=empty

              (2)
              FIND=regex_2
              REPLACE=empty

              FIND(1) should with with each click of [Find next] find&highlight the
              next BLOCK that contains succesive lines that DO match the
              specification.

              FIND(2) ditto ... except find BLOCKs that DO NOT match the specification.

              Thus with Find-Replace dialog (1):
              - one click on the [Replace All] button will leave me with a file
              that contains JUST the lines that match (and NO leftover, created
              BLANK lines)

              And with dialog(2): and the same inital file one click on [Replace
              All] will leave JUST lines that DO NOT match, NO lefover blank lines.

              What I want (as well) is to be able to plug regex_1 and regex_2 into
              either Notetab Replace dialog or DIRegEx_Workbench and get the same
              results.

              ie. what results from Expression-1 and Expression-2, partition the
              original file into two sub-files which if appended together would have
              the same number of lines as the original but with all the MATCHES at
              the top and all the NON-MATCHES at the bottom (or vice-versa depending
              on order used).

              Hope this makes it clearer? (even if not, writing it out like this
              makes it clearer to me)

              > For testing regular expressions on a sample of data using NoteTab
              > regex engine, try my clip "Preview Listing in Browser" (part of the
              > free Color Highlighting package posted in the files area of the
              > Clips list on Yahoo).

              Regards ... Alec
              --
            • Sheri
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 10 1:43 PM
                Alec,

                I would do a GetDocMatchAll to get matching lines, insert those
                lines in a new document and save it. Then run the match list
                as "stop words" against the main list using my stop words clip to
                produce the non-matching list.

                H="Matches"
                ^!SetListDelimiter ^P
                ^!SetCode %matches%=^$GetDocMatchAll((?i)^.*?[a-z]{2,}2[a-z]{2,}.*^%
                DOLLAR%;0)$
                ^!Toolbar New Document
                ^!InsertCode ^%matches%
                ^!ClearVariable %matches%
                ;end of clip

                clips/message/15230

                HTH,
                Sheri
              • Stefan Elssner
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 21 2:40 PM
                  Hi Alec,

                  > Just curious Stefan if you happened to have looked at both,
                  > anywhere that you see the Regex Buddy: site and/or program as
                  > significantly superior to Regex Coach?

                  I never used Regex Coach, just had a look at it some times ago when an
                  intern did some playing with it. I have a copy of RegexBuddy but I use
                  it rather seldom. Most of the time my regexp needs are rather simple
                  and a good tutorial with some samples plus the language specific
                  manual is enough to solve my problems.

                  I remember that by looking at Regex Coach I felt RegexBuddy would be
                  better for getting things done (despite the cost), but I can't
                  remember why exactly.

                  Features of RegexBuddy that I found really useful (and that saved me a
                  lot of trial and error testing time with some more complex regex
                  problems) are:

                  - "Sample View" or whatever the feature really is called - you can
                  load any file as a "sample" into a special edit control inside the
                  application and your regex will be run against this, if you like with
                  life refresh, as far as I remember. So will show you the effect of
                  what you are doing in real time without affecting your valuable live data.

                  - Once your regex is settled to the state you think it's right you can
                  export it in the proper format for a couple of programming languages
                  to get a ready-to-use code snippet. NoteTab Clip Syntax is not in the
                  range of supported formats, sadly ... ;-)

                  AFAIK RegexBuddy is just the only program for that the author offers
                  no Demo/Shareware Version, only the buy-then-download, plus it's
                  money-back guarantee.

                  The program is good, anyway, and I personally trust the author since
                  years now. I'm as sure as I can be that you will get your money back
                  if you decide to do a try-buy and then find the program is not worth
                  the money to you...

                  Sorry for the late feedback!

                  I assume, Sheri's answer helped you solving your problem?

                  Regards
                  Stefan