Re: [NTO] Microsoft security updates

  • Gerard Huijing
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 23, 2006
      I can only commiserate, like sisterscape has done already.
      I would advise you to consider using imaging software in the future. I
      use Terabyte Image for Windows, imaging is also possible with Terabyte
      BootITNG. You have also Norton Ghost, Acronis and there are more. The
      difference with Sysrestore is that you replace your (e.g.) C: partition
      with your imaged C: partition, lock stock and barrel. I make a fresh
      image at least once a week, so in the worst case I will have lost what
      was added on C in the last week, provided of course I did not take some
      extra measures (but I do :-)). No hassles with updates or installs going
      wrong, your trashed partition simply doesn't exist anymore after you
      have restored the (good) image. You can check if the image is valid when
      you create it.

      Cheers,
      Gerard
    • sisterscape
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 23, 2006
        Disk images are definitely the way to go. I use Acronis True Image and
        it has saved my butt more than once. sisterscape

        --- Gerard Huijing <inboxgen@...> wrote:

        > I can only commiserate, like sisterscape has done already.
        > I would advise you to consider using imaging software in the future.
        > use Terabyte Image for Windows, imaging is also possible with
        > Terabyte
        > BootITNG. You have also Norton Ghost, Acronis and there are more. The
        >
        > difference with Sysrestore is that you replace your (e.g.) C:
        > partition
        > with your imaged C: partition, lock stock and barrel. I make a fresh
        > image at least once a week, so in the worst case I will have lost
        > what
        > was added on C in the last week, provided of course I did not take
        > some
        > extra measures (but I do :-)). No hassles with updates or installs
        > going
        > wrong, your trashed partition simply doesn't exist anymore after you
        > have restored the (good) image. You can check if the image is valid
        > when
        > you create it.
        >
        > Cheers,
        > Gerard

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Mordechai
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 25, 2006
          Hello and Thanks,
          Oh yes, I had my lesson the hard way, and still I will not install SP2 as I
          read many anti SP2 articles here and there about programs stopped etc.
          However, since MS (as I already mentioned) will stop supporting sp1 systems,
          I have downloaded ALL security updates for this system untill now, keep them
          on a CD, and when I reinstall win xp+sp1, I first make a backup, install
          those security updates, and only then, if everything is OK, install all
          other programs.
          If I am wrong please let me know.
          Thanks to all,
          Mordechai
          airflow@...

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 26, 2006
            Hi
            I hope you are sitting behind a good firewall ,without SP2 there is no
            visible firewall and you are about 35 security updates behind, you are a
            little open to the world.
            THANKYOU DAVE M