Microsoft security updates

  • Mordechai
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 23, 2006
      Hello,
      I would like to share with you the following:
      Recently, after a long period of time, I decided to make some updates from Microsoft, and I am still sorry about that.
      My PC was examined and found about 40 security updates to install - not to mention SP2 which on purpose I do not install.
      So I let the program download and install those 40 updates, when done I was asked to reboot.
      When the PC came back to live, I noticed something is wrong, some programs which should start with Windows (from the day they were installed) have not started. The worse was Norton Anti virus among them, so I started it manually but then I noticed the "Auto Protect" and mail check are disabled - could not enable them at all.
      And I found some new planted icon in the system traybar, looks like a star, notifying that on October 2006 Microsoft stops supporting systems with SP1, could'nt they just notify it on their site?
      I decided to Restore my system as befor the updates but all my restore points gone because the updates created restore points themselves.
      I used the most early restore point (loosinng some updates) and then the Anti virus was back normal, but on the next reboot it was disabled again.
      After this restore there was no use to undo the updates one by one, I created some shortcuts for the programs that have to start with windows and put them in the programs startup menu.
      Finished with a whole new installation of the antivirus program and live update.
      Right now everything "looks" normal, but I do not know which other installed programs were 'touched' by these updates.
      Well, this is the end of the story, just for info.
      Regards
      Mordechai
      airflow@...

    • sisterscape
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 23, 2006
        I feel your pain! After experiencing grief from certain MS updates, I
        developed a habit of only installing them one at a time. That way I
        can pinpoint any problems that may be created. Could it be that some of
        the glitches you had are from not having SP2 installed? Hope it's all
        settled now.

        sisterscape

        --- Mordechai <airflow@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        > I would like to share with you the following:
        > Recently, after a long period of time, I decided to make some updates
        > from Microsoft, and I am still sorry about that.
        > My PC was examined and found about 40 security updates to install -
        > not to mention SP2 which on purpose I do not install.
        > So I let the program download and install those 40 updates, when done
        > I was asked to reboot.
        > When the PC came back to live, I noticed something is wrong, some
        > programs which should start with Windows (from the day they were
        > installed) have not started. The worse was Norton Anti virus among
        > them, so I started it manually but then I noticed the "Auto Protect"
        > and mail check are disabled - could not enable them at all.
        > And I found some new planted icon in the system traybar, looks like a
        > star, notifying that on October 2006 Microsoft stops supporting
        > systems with SP1, could'nt they just notify it on their site?
        > I decided to Restore my system as befor the updates but all my
        > restore points gone because the updates created restore points
        > themselves.
        > I used the most early restore point (loosinng some updates) and then
        > the Anti virus was back normal, but on the next reboot it was
        > disabled again.
        > After this restore there was no use to undo the updates one by one, I
        > created some shortcuts for the programs that have to start with
        > windows and put them in the programs startup menu.
        > Finished with a whole new installation of the antivirus program and
        > live update.
        > Right now everything "looks" normal, but I do not know which other
        > installed programs were 'touched' by these updates.
        > Well, this is the end of the story, just for info.
        > Regards
        > Mordechai
        > airflow@...

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Gerard Huijing
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 23, 2006
          I can only commiserate, like sisterscape has done already.
          I would advise you to consider using imaging software in the future. I
          use Terabyte Image for Windows, imaging is also possible with Terabyte
          BootITNG. You have also Norton Ghost, Acronis and there are more. The
          difference with Sysrestore is that you replace your (e.g.) C: partition
          with your imaged C: partition, lock stock and barrel. I make a fresh
          image at least once a week, so in the worst case I will have lost what
          was added on C in the last week, provided of course I did not take some
          extra measures (but I do :-)). No hassles with updates or installs going
          wrong, your trashed partition simply doesn't exist anymore after you
          have restored the (good) image. You can check if the image is valid when
          you create it.

          Cheers,
          Gerard
        • sisterscape
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 23, 2006
            Disk images are definitely the way to go. I use Acronis True Image and
            it has saved my butt more than once. sisterscape

            --- Gerard Huijing <inboxgen@...> wrote:

            > I can only commiserate, like sisterscape has done already.
            > I would advise you to consider using imaging software in the future.
            > use Terabyte Image for Windows, imaging is also possible with
            > Terabyte
            > BootITNG. You have also Norton Ghost, Acronis and there are more. The
            >
            > difference with Sysrestore is that you replace your (e.g.) C:
            > partition
            > with your imaged C: partition, lock stock and barrel. I make a fresh
            > image at least once a week, so in the worst case I will have lost
            > what
            > was added on C in the last week, provided of course I did not take
            > some
            > extra measures (but I do :-)). No hassles with updates or installs
            > going
            > wrong, your trashed partition simply doesn't exist anymore after you
            > have restored the (good) image. You can check if the image is valid
            > when
            > you create it.
            >
            > Cheers,
            > Gerard

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Mordechai
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 25, 2006
              Hello and Thanks,
              Oh yes, I had my lesson the hard way, and still I will not install SP2 as I
              read many anti SP2 articles here and there about programs stopped etc.
              However, since MS (as I already mentioned) will stop supporting sp1 systems,
              I have downloaded ALL security updates for this system untill now, keep them
              on a CD, and when I reinstall win xp+sp1, I first make a backup, install
              those security updates, and only then, if everything is OK, install all
              other programs.
              If I am wrong please let me know.
              Thanks to all,
              Mordechai
              airflow@...

              > I feel your pain! After experiencing grief from certain MS updates, I
              > developed a habit of only installing them one at a time. That way I
              > can pinpoint any problems that may be created. Could it be that some of
              > the glitches you had are from not having SP2 installed? Hope it's all
              > settled now.
              >
              > sisterscape
              >
              > --- Mordechai <airflow@...> wrote:
              >
              > > Hello,
              > > I would like to share with you the following:
              > > Recently, after a long period of time, I decided to make some updates
              > > from Microsoft, and I am still sorry about that.
              > > My PC was examined and found about 40 security updates to install -
              > > not to mention SP2 which on purpose I do not install.
              > > So I let the program download and install those 40 updates, when done
              > > I was asked to reboot.
              > > When the PC came back to live, I noticed something is wrong, some
              > > programs which should start with Windows (from the day they were
              > > installed) have not started. The worse was Norton Anti virus among
              > > them, so I started it manually but then I noticed the "Auto Protect"
              > > and mail check are disabled - could not enable them at all.
              > > And I found some new planted icon in the system traybar, looks like a
              > > star, notifying that on October 2006 Microsoft stops supporting
              > > systems with SP1, could'nt they just notify it on their site?
              > > I decided to Restore my system as befor the updates but all my
              > > restore points gone because the updates created restore points
              > > themselves.
              > > I used the most early restore point (loosinng some updates) and then
              > > the Anti virus was back normal, but on the next reboot it was
              > > disabled again.
              > > After this restore there was no use to undo the updates one by one, I
              > > created some shortcuts for the programs that have to start with
              > > windows and put them in the programs startup menu.
              > > Finished with a whole new installation of the antivirus program and
              > > live update.
              > > Right now everything "looks" normal, but I do not know which other
              > > installed programs were 'touched' by these updates.
              > > Well, this is the end of the story, just for info.
              > > Regards
              > > Mordechai
              > > airflow@...

            • dave
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 26, 2006
                Hi
                I hope you are sitting behind a good firewall ,without SP2 there is no
                visible firewall and you are about 35 security updates behind, you are a
                little open to the world.
                THANKYOU DAVE M