Re: [NTO] Anybody Using Skype?

    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 5, 2006
      Hi Tim,

      >Have you tried going off-line before you close it down?

      Yes, I always shut down almost everything before shutting down
      Windows. Still on dialup 56KB out here in the sticks. We just got
      off tin cans and a string a few years ago - we're so way far
      country/hillbilly. We did get out of our trailer (mobile home)
      with no skirting and a got rid of the pickup truck on blocks a
      few years back and in a real brick home now. We do still way our
      Rebel Flag proudly though and consider the derogatory term Red
      Neck an honor! <bg> I have the latest Skype upgrade; will
      install; and then down grade if that doesn't have an option fix.

      >If I close it down when online it starts and connects, if I go off-line
      >before I close it it doesn't appear to connect.
      >
      >Can't guarantee this works, I have broadband so I'm always connected but
      >it's an easy fix if it works for you.
      >
      >Tim
      >
      >Jody wrote:
      >>

      >> Hi All,
      >>
      >> Does anybody on the list use Skype and if so, the latest upgrade
      >> wants to auto-connect when I start the program. If you use it or
      >> if you know of some system place they might have stored the
      >> settings to auto-connect using my default dialup when it starts,
      >> please let me know. (I see they have an update already. Hopefully
      >> they didn't forget to put in an option to not connect when
      >> program starts and there is no connection already or even if
      >> there is, duh! It wants to connect even when I'm already
      >> connected. Will be upgrading to 2.5.0.130 from 2.5.0.126.) I only
      >> use the program to get quick replies from Eric and sometimes just
      >> chat with him. I have no other contacts and not looking for any
      >> either. <bg>
      >>
      >> I cannot find where to turn it off in any of the places to check
      >> like in Startup, the program itself, Run in RegEdit...
      >>
      >> Happy Topics,
      >> Jody
      >>
      >> All Fookes Software discussion mailing lists with brief
      >> description of lists and easy sign-on/off...
      >> http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm <http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm>
      >>
      >> The NoteTab Off-Topic List
      >> mailto:ntb-OffTopic-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com
      >> <mailto:ntb-OffTopic-Subscribe%40yahoogroups.com> (Subscribe)
      >> <mailto:ntb-OffTopic-UnSubscribe%40yahoogroups.com> (UnSubscribe)
      >>

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

      All Fookes Software discussion mailing lists with brief
      description of lists and easy sign-on/off...
      http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm

      The NoteTab Off-Topic List
      mailto:ntb-OffTopic-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com (Subscribe)
    • Barry
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 5, 2006
        Jody wrote:
        > Hi Tim,
        >
        >> Have you tried going off-line before you close it down?
        >
        > Yes, I always shut down almost everything before shutting down
        > Windows. Still on dialup 56KB out here in the sticks.

        Skype is designed for WinXP using broadband. One of the earlier version
        of Skype will work with Win98SE but not unless you have broadband.
        --
        Take care. Barry UK
      • sisterscape
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 5, 2006
          --- Barry <barry@...> wrote:

          > Skype is designed for WinXP using broadband. One of the earlier
          > version
          > of Skype will work with Win98SE but not unless you have broadband.
          > --
          > Take care. Barry UK

          This is good to know. I actually downloaded Skype a few weeks ago but
          hesitated to install because I am still on dialup. Now I know not to
          bother. Thanks.

          sisterscape

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • John Mitchell
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 5, 2006
            SS - I know people who use Skype successfully on dial-up. Just resist
            the urge to enable video and you may find audio performance acceptable.

            Regards, John M

            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 5, 2006
              --- Jody <kjv-av1611@...> wrote:

              > >> I cannot find where to turn it off in any of the places to check
              > >> like in Startup, the program itself, Run in RegEdit...
              > >>
              > >> Happy Topics,
              > >> Jody

              Jody . . . I was just investigating Skype a bit more and ran acrosss
              this fix to keep Skype from trying to connect:

              1. Open
              2. Sign Out
              3. Untick "Log me in when Skype starts".

              Could it be that easy??

              sisterscape

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • freeop
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 14, 2006
                Long time Lurker here and even longer time NT Pro user. Just wanting to
                get some feedback in case someone has ever used MySpace and tried
                editing the pages there.

                I have found some interesting information using CSS and other types of
                codes in the Profile Editing section, but was wanting to get some more
                detailed info from anyone that has had success changing the pages there.
                Nothing fancy or exotic, just some basic Background and box editing.

                If at all possible also, does anyone know of a good place to learn more.
                Everywhere I look they want you to use their backgrounds and ad
                intensified sites. I am not into that, just want a little help.

                Thanks so much in advance. I posted this in the NTO section as I really
                didn't think MySpace was appropriate for NTB.

                Thanks again...
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 6, 2006
                  Hi sisterscape and All,

                  I haven't found the time to thank you all for your input. I ended
                  up just downgrading. >sisterscape...

                  >Jody . . . I was just investigating Skype a bit more and ran acrosss
                  >this fix to keep Skype from trying to connect:
                  >
                  >1. Open
                  >2. Sign Out
                  >3. Untick "Log me in when Skype starts".
                  >
                  >Could it be that easy??

                  No, I actually want that set. It is not suppose to connect, it
                  will check for a connection for awhile and then give up (stop
                  spinning in the tray). What that feature does is if there is a
                  connection, then it automatically logs in. That I want to happen
                  so Eric and I can do instant messages. I cannot get a high speed
                  connection out here, so we don't use it as a phone. Eric does,
                  but with my 56KB almost all the time it is broken up too bad for
                  us to use the phone part. The chat works fine though. A year or
                  two ago I think it was about 2 cents a minute for overseas phone
                  calls using it. One buys the time from Skype. I hear it works
                  real well if you have a high speed connection.

                  I don't know when I'll be back trying to clean out this In box,
                  so if anybody replies, uh... ;) If anybody ever needs me, just
                  write me at support at Fookes-:)com

                  I sure hope to get all caught up some day! :(