Re: [NTO] Anybody Using Skype?

  • Alec Burgess(g)
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 4, 2006
      Jody:
      > I cannot find where to turn it off in any of the places to check
      > like in Startup, the program itself, Run in RegEdit...

      Have you tried getting AutoRuns from Sysinternals?
      http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Autoruns.html
      IMO its pretty much the gold standard wrt. programs that check things that
      happen "automagically" when Windows starts!

      Regards ... Alec
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 5, 2006
        Hi Alec,

        Thanks to everybody else that replied...

        >> I cannot find where to turn it off in any of the places to check
        >> like in Startup, the program itself, Run in RegEdit...
        >
        >Have you tried getting AutoRuns from Sysinternals?
        >http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Autoruns.html
        >IMO its pretty much the gold standard wrt. programs that check things that
        >happen "automagically" when Windows starts!

        Thanks, but I try hard not to add more and more things to keep
        things from happening, because I've leaned from the past that
        they sometimes cause more problems than they're worth and just
        that much more to troubleshoot.

        All Fookes Software discussion mailing lists with brief
        description of lists and easy sign-on/off...
        http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm

        The NoteTab Off-Topic List
        mailto:ntb-OffTopic-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com (Subscribe)
      • John Mitchell
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 5, 2006

          Autoruns is a stand alone utility so there is nothing to install. You
          can run it off a USB stick. It's a very useful tool. You might be
          surprised at how many (frequently unnecessary) things are started every
          time you boot your system.

          Regards, John M