[NTO] Anybody Using Skype?

  • Gerard Huijing
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 4, 2006
      Yes Jody, I noticed some very odd behaviour. My (Agnitum Outpost)
      firewall warned me some days ago that there was an incoming request to
      connect over port 443 (https) from an IP address I did not recognise at
      all. That was after I had upgraded Skype. I immediately blocked it
      alltogether. I had configured Skype so that it only allows calls from
      entries in my own address list, so I didn't like this at all.

      Have not researched it further. I use the programme hardly ever, for the
      simple reason I do not know anybody who uses it :-)

      Cheers,
      Gerard

      Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
      2312 ZD Leiden
      Netherlands
    • Alec Burgess(g)
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 4, 2006
        Jody:
        > I cannot find where to turn it off in any of the places to check
        > like in Startup, the program itself, Run in RegEdit...

        Have you tried getting AutoRuns from Sysinternals?
        http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Autoruns.html
        IMO its pretty much the gold standard wrt. programs that check things that
        happen "automagically" when Windows starts!

        Regards ... Alec
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 5, 2006
          Hi Alec,

          Thanks to everybody else that replied...

          >> I cannot find where to turn it off in any of the places to check
          >> like in Startup, the program itself, Run in RegEdit...
          >
          >Have you tried getting AutoRuns from Sysinternals?
          >http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Autoruns.html
          >IMO its pretty much the gold standard wrt. programs that check things that
          >happen "automagically" when Windows starts!

          Thanks, but I try hard not to add more and more things to keep
          things from happening, because I've leaned from the past that
          they sometimes cause more problems than they're worth and just
          that much more to troubleshoot.

          All Fookes Software discussion mailing lists with brief
          description of lists and easy sign-on/off...
          http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm

          The NoteTab Off-Topic List
          mailto:ntb-OffTopic-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com (Subscribe)
        • John Mitchell
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 5, 2006

            Autoruns is a stand alone utility so there is nothing to install. You
            can run it off a USB stick. It's a very useful tool. You might be
            surprised at how many (frequently unnecessary) things are started every
            time you boot your system.

            Regards, John M