Re: [NTO] Re: HELP: 30 seconds to open txt file is killing me

  • Alan_C
    Message 1 of 23 , Aug 1 8:01 PM
      On Tuesday 01 August 2006 15:21, xtx222003 wrote:
      [ . . ]
      > BAM!!! The files open just like that now!!! I followed the directions
      > in the link for "network drive mapping", and BAM!!! I'm able to open
      > files from both computers browsing through the newly created Network
      > Drives with no delay at all! The old method of using My Network
      > Places is still like pouring molasses.

      I've a Samba share (on a Linux file server). Somehow it just works better
      when in Win 2K on the network when the drive/Samba_share is mapped in Win 2K.

      This is just sharing files across the network -- Notetab is not involved.

      I've also experienced with (on Linux) a virtual machine (Qemu) that guest OS
      Win 2K (running in Qemu) the Win 2K network browse (or browser) (or DOS
      command net view) would not even find the Qemu native Samba share which is
      linked into my above mentioned Samba server (network shared drive not found,
      I thought it didn't work, something broken).

      But the Qemu docs tells how to map the drive in Win and where to map such
      drive to. Did as instructed here and abra cadabra my guest OS Win 2K is now
      shares files with the Samba share (Linux box). My guess on this is that the
      Qemu developers could care less about sending out those Microsoft network
      noise (protocol(s) (is it netbios?) and chose not to do this -- thus not
      found via network browse (MS net browse *relies* on those protocols) the
      Linux way does not use protocols in that fashion like MS does. But the drive
      is there (though not anounced via MS network noise -- so just map to it and
      voilla! Qemu guest OS network share is now working!!

      So there's *something* about it the mapping a network drive/share.

      Actually, for all practical purposes, I think it makes it into (so that it
      acts just like) a local drive so that it acts like a drive on My Computer
      rather than acting like a network drive (though in reality it does remains a
      network drive).

      --
      Alan.
    • xtx222003
      Message 2 of 23 , Aug 1 11:56 PM
        Hi Larry,

        These are two identical HP computers both running XP Home, networked
        with our router.

        Your Run tests confirms that the share \\V-Central is slow with NTP,
        and the mapped V:\ is the winner by a landslide.

        Thanks for confirming that I'm not crazy when I unplug everything
        during a lightning storm.

        Thanks,
        Corl

        > Is V-central a server or workstation? If it is a server, it could
        be an
        > Active-Directory issue. I do not know how to configure Active
        Directory,
        > but if the PC is not in the correct workgroup, it can be very slow.
        > have experienced this with the software I support in my day job.
        >
        > What version of Windows is V-central? What version of Windows is
        your
        > PC? There may be a clue there.
        >
        > The difference between the \\computername\etc. and V:\etc. is that
        there
        > could be some sort of network configuration that is not quite right
        and
        > makes the resolution of \\computername take longer. One way to test
        it
        > is to click Start > Run then type \\V-Central and press Enter. If
        > Explorer opens right away, then it is something to do with NoteTab.
        Also