[NTO] Re: HELP: 30 seconds to open txt file is killing me

  • xtx222003
    Message 1 of 23 , Aug 1, 2006
      Thanks for the confirmation Jody. Looks like Jeffery and Alec found the
      solution and it all works as it should. I look forward to using the
      latest version as well.

      Best,
      Corl

      --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, Jody <kjv-av1611@...> wrote:

      > Hi Corl,
      >
      > Yes, ntp495full.exe, is the registered program and does not need
      > a key. Yes, there have been different builds. The latest one has
      > the Check for Updates... and Poll for News features under the
      > Help menu and comes in a different installer package than
      > previous versions. I will send you download information for the
      > latest 4.95. You can also download the v5.0 Pro Trial version to
      > see if you still have the problem with it.
    • Larry Hamilton
      Message 2 of 23 , Aug 1, 2006
        Corl,

        Is V-central a server or workstation? If it is a server, it could be an
        Active-Directory issue. I do not know how to configure Active Directory,
        but if the PC is not in the correct workgroup, it can be very slow. I
        have experienced this with the software I support in my day job.

        What version of Windows is V-central? What version of Windows is your
        PC? There may be a clue there.

        The difference between the \\computername\etc. and V:\etc. is that there
        could be some sort of network configuration that is not quite right and
        makes the resolution of \\computername take longer. One way to test it
        is to click Start > Run then type \\V-Central and press Enter. If
        Explorer opens right away, then it is something to do with NoteTab. Also
        do the Start > Run and type V:\ and see if Explorer opens as fast as the
        other way. I have seen some programs that will not find a connection on
        the network, but you can ping the PC.

        You could also try the IP address of \\V-central in the run box.

        My guess would be either something with active directory, or some other
        misconfiguration on the network.

        I have also seen lightning do weird things to network cards. Over the
        years, I have experienced 5 clients having lightning strikes that do
        just enough damage to the network card on one or more PCs that all
        programs on the network work, except the one I support. Replacing the
        network card fixes the problem. If you have had a lightning strike or
        other major power surge, swapping out a network card may help.

        HTH,

        Larry Hamilton
        Kairos Computer Solutions
        http://www.kairoscomputers.com/
        Sales Affiliate for Grisoft Anti-Virus

        xtx222003 wrote:
        > Jeffery thanks for that fantastic question! Alec thank you for
        > googling it down (sometime I forget how much one can learn from
        > a simple search), it was worth more than a shot, because...
        >
        > BAM!!! The files open just like that now!!! I followed the directions
        > in the link for "network drive mapping", and BAM!!! I'm able to open
        > files from both computers browsing through the newly created Network
        > Drives with no delay at all! The old method of using My Network
        > Places is still like pouring molasses.
        >
        > I redid the "copy name" experiment you suggested, and you can see the
        > results:
        >
        > SHARED file path
        > \\V-central\my documents\DELUNA_verna\Working Files\Arts.txt
        >
        > MAPPED file path
        > V:\DELUNA_verna\Working Files\Arts.txt
      • Alan_C
        Message 3 of 23 , Aug 1, 2006
          On Tuesday 01 August 2006 15:21, xtx222003 wrote:
          [ . . ]
          > BAM!!! The files open just like that now!!! I followed the directions
          > in the link for "network drive mapping", and BAM!!! I'm able to open
          > files from both computers browsing through the newly created Network
          > Drives with no delay at all! The old method of using My Network
          > Places is still like pouring molasses.

          I've a Samba share (on a Linux file server). Somehow it just works better
          when in Win 2K on the network when the drive/Samba_share is mapped in Win 2K.

          This is just sharing files across the network -- Notetab is not involved.

          I've also experienced with (on Linux) a virtual machine (Qemu) that guest OS
          Win 2K (running in Qemu) the Win 2K network browse (or browser) (or DOS
          command net view) would not even find the Qemu native Samba share which is
          linked into my above mentioned Samba server (network shared drive not found,
          I thought it didn't work, something broken).

          But the Qemu docs tells how to map the drive in Win and where to map such
          drive to. Did as instructed here and abra cadabra my guest OS Win 2K is now
          shares files with the Samba share (Linux box). My guess on this is that the
          Qemu developers could care less about sending out those Microsoft network
          noise (protocol(s) (is it netbios?) and chose not to do this -- thus not
          found via network browse (MS net browse *relies* on those protocols) the
          Linux way does not use protocols in that fashion like MS does. But the drive
          is there (though not anounced via MS network noise -- so just map to it and
          voilla! Qemu guest OS network share is now working!!

          So there's *something* about it the mapping a network drive/share.

          Actually, for all practical purposes, I think it makes it into (so that it
          acts just like) a local drive so that it acts like a drive on My Computer
          rather than acting like a network drive (though in reality it does remains a
          network drive).

          --
          Alan.
        • xtx222003
          Message 4 of 23 , Aug 1, 2006
            Hi Larry,

            These are two identical HP computers both running XP Home, networked
            with our router.

            Your Run tests confirms that the share \\V-Central is slow with NTP,
            and the mapped V:\ is the winner by a landslide.

            Thanks for confirming that I'm not crazy when I unplug everything
            during a lightning storm.

            Thanks,