Re: [NTO] Re: HELP: 30 seconds to open txt file is killing me

  • Alec Burgess(g)
    Message 1 of 23 , Aug 1 12:21 PM
      Corl:
      I didn't know anything more about shared non-mapped vs shared mapped than
      Jody did but googling "network drive mapped" and then reading:
      http://compnetworking.about.com/od/windowsxpnetworking/ht/mapnetworkdrive.ht
      and the result you got when you pasted the result of "copy name" makes me
      think that:
      You've got a shared but not-mapped folder.

      I haven't currently got a Network to test on but it certainly sounds like
      following the procedure described is worth a shot.

      Please report back if it works. That would give Jody a confirmed work-around
      for the third time it comes up :-) (and probably allow Eric to fix it when
      he gets a chance - given the number of programs you've verified don't choke
      on shared non-mapped)

      Regards ... Alec
      Message 2 of 23 , Aug 1 3:21 PM
        Jeffery thanks for that fantastic question! Alec thank you for
        googling it down (sometime I forget how much one can learn from
        a simple search), it was worth more than a shot, because...

        BAM!!! The files open just like that now!!! I followed the directions
        in the link for "network drive mapping", and BAM!!! I'm able to open
        files from both computers browsing through the newly created Network
        Drives with no delay at all! The old method of using My Network
        Places is still like pouring molasses.

        I redid the "copy name" experiment you suggested, and you can see the
        results:

        SHARED file path
        \\V-central\my documents\DELUNA_verna\Working Files\Arts.txt

        MAPPED file path
        V:\DELUNA_verna\Working Files\Arts.txt

        You are my heroes! This made all the difference in the world, and
        will allow me to keep using the power of NTP for the massive project
        I'm involved in!

        I'm confident this solution will stick, because this time it isn't
        just working by chance, but rather by using a method designed for
        working in a networked environment.

        Thank you, thank you, and thank you again!!!
        Corl

        PS everyone
        48 messages to resolution since Dec, I guess that perseverance really
        does pays off. Thank you all for your patience and input.

        > I didn't know anything more about shared non-mapped vs shared
        mapped than
        > Jody did but googling "network drive mapped" and then reading:

        http://compnetworking.about.com/od/windowsxpnetworking/ht/mapnetworkdr
        ive.htm
        > and the result you got when you pasted the result of "copy name"
        makes me
        > think that:
        > You've got a shared but not-mapped folder.
        >

        > Regards ... Alec
        > --

      • xtx222003
        Message 3 of 23 , Aug 1 3:26 PM
          Thanks for the confirmation Jody. Looks like Jeffery and Alec found the
          solution and it all works as it should. I look forward to using the
          latest version as well.

          Best,
          Corl

          --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, Jody <kjv-av1611@...> wrote:

          > Hi Corl,
          >
          > Yes, ntp495full.exe, is the registered program and does not need
          > a key. Yes, there have been different builds. The latest one has
          > the Check for Updates... and Poll for News features under the
          > Help menu and comes in a different installer package than
          > previous versions. I will send you download information for the
          > latest 4.95. You can also download the v5.0 Pro Trial version to
          > see if you still have the problem with it.
        • Larry Hamilton
          Message 4 of 23 , Aug 1 7:48 PM
            Corl,

            Is V-central a server or workstation? If it is a server, it could be an
            Active-Directory issue. I do not know how to configure Active Directory,
            but if the PC is not in the correct workgroup, it can be very slow. I
            have experienced this with the software I support in my day job.

            What version of Windows is V-central? What version of Windows is your
            PC? There may be a clue there.

            The difference between the \\computername\etc. and V:\etc. is that there
            could be some sort of network configuration that is not quite right and
            makes the resolution of \\computername take longer. One way to test it
            is to click Start > Run then type \\V-Central and press Enter. If
            Explorer opens right away, then it is something to do with NoteTab. Also
            do the Start > Run and type V:\ and see if Explorer opens as fast as the
            other way. I have seen some programs that will not find a connection on
            the network, but you can ping the PC.

            You could also try the IP address of \\V-central in the run box.

            My guess would be either something with active directory, or some other
            misconfiguration on the network.

            I have also seen lightning do weird things to network cards. Over the
            years, I have experienced 5 clients having lightning strikes that do
            just enough damage to the network card on one or more PCs that all
            programs on the network work, except the one I support. Replacing the
            network card fixes the problem. If you have had a lightning strike or
            other major power surge, swapping out a network card may help.

            HTH,

            Larry Hamilton
            Kairos Computer Solutions
            http://www.kairoscomputers.com/
            Sales Affiliate for Grisoft Anti-Virus

            xtx222003 wrote:
            > Jeffery thanks for that fantastic question! Alec thank you for
            > googling it down (sometime I forget how much one can learn from
            > a simple search), it was worth more than a shot, because...
            >
            > BAM!!! The files open just like that now!!! I followed the directions
            > in the link for "network drive mapping", and BAM!!! I'm able to open
            > files from both computers browsing through the newly created Network
            > Drives with no delay at all! The old method of using My Network
            > Places is still like pouring molasses.
            >
            > I redid the "copy name" experiment you suggested, and you can see the
            > results:
            >
            > SHARED file path
            > \\V-central\my documents\DELUNA_verna\Working Files\Arts.txt
            >
            > MAPPED file path
            > V:\DELUNA_verna\Working Files\Arts.txt
          • Alan_C
            Message 5 of 23 , Aug 1 8:01 PM
              On Tuesday 01 August 2006 15:21, xtx222003 wrote:
              [ . . ]
              > BAM!!! The files open just like that now!!! I followed the directions
              > in the link for "network drive mapping", and BAM!!! I'm able to open
              > files from both computers browsing through the newly created Network
              > Drives with no delay at all! The old method of using My Network
              > Places is still like pouring molasses.

              I've a Samba share (on a Linux file server). Somehow it just works better
              when in Win 2K on the network when the drive/Samba_share is mapped in Win 2K.

              This is just sharing files across the network -- Notetab is not involved.

              I've also experienced with (on Linux) a virtual machine (Qemu) that guest OS
              Win 2K (running in Qemu) the Win 2K network browse (or browser) (or DOS
              command net view) would not even find the Qemu native Samba share which is
              linked into my above mentioned Samba server (network shared drive not found,
              I thought it didn't work, something broken).

              But the Qemu docs tells how to map the drive in Win and where to map such
              drive to. Did as instructed here and abra cadabra my guest OS Win 2K is now
              shares files with the Samba share (Linux box). My guess on this is that the
              Qemu developers could care less about sending out those Microsoft network
              noise (protocol(s) (is it netbios?) and chose not to do this -- thus not
              found via network browse (MS net browse *relies* on those protocols) the
              Linux way does not use protocols in that fashion like MS does. But the drive
              is there (though not anounced via MS network noise -- so just map to it and
              voilla! Qemu guest OS network share is now working!!

              So there's *something* about it the mapping a network drive/share.

              Actually, for all practical purposes, I think it makes it into (so that it
              acts just like) a local drive so that it acts like a drive on My Computer
              rather than acting like a network drive (though in reality it does remains a
              network drive).

              --
              Alan.
            • xtx222003
              Message 6 of 23 , Aug 1 11:56 PM
                Hi Larry,

                These are two identical HP computers both running XP Home, networked
                with our router.

                Your Run tests confirms that the share \\V-Central is slow with NTP,
                and the mapped V:\ is the winner by a landslide.

                Thanks for confirming that I'm not crazy when I unplug everything
                during a lightning storm.

                Thanks,