Re: [NTO] Re: HELP: 30 seconds to open txt file is killing me

    Message 1 of 23 , Aug 1, 2006
      Hi Jeffery and Corl,

      >Perhaps it's slow because the network issues? Is the network drive mapped?

      I have had one other report over the years of files opening
      slowly that are on a network. So, perhaps mapping it makes a
      difference. I don't know anything about mapping other than seeing
      the setting for it. ;)

      >xtx222003 wrote:
      >
      >> Hi Larry & Alex,
      >>
      >> With your help I found out that the INI was being written to the
      >> registry, but even with that option off I get the same slow network
      >> file opening, even after a good registry cleaning and a reboot to
      >> boot. I'm glad I can now backup the INI though.

      All Fookes Software discussion mailing lists with brief
      description of lists and easy sign-on/off...
      http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm

      The NoteTab Off-Topic List
      mailto:ntb-OffTopic-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com (Subscribe)
    • Alec Burgess(g)
      Message 2 of 23 , Aug 1, 2006
        Corl:
        I didn't know anything more about shared non-mapped vs shared mapped than
        Jody did but googling "network drive mapped" and then reading:
        http://compnetworking.about.com/od/windowsxpnetworking/ht/mapnetworkdrive.ht
        and the result you got when you pasted the result of "copy name" makes me
        think that:
        You've got a shared but not-mapped folder.

        I haven't currently got a Network to test on but it certainly sounds like
        following the procedure described is worth a shot.

        Please report back if it works. That would give Jody a confirmed work-around
        for the third time it comes up :-) (and probably allow Eric to fix it when
        he gets a chance - given the number of programs you've verified don't choke
        on shared non-mapped)

        Regards ... Alec
        Message 3 of 23 , Aug 1, 2006
          Jeffery thanks for that fantastic question! Alec thank you for
          googling it down (sometime I forget how much one can learn from
          a simple search), it was worth more than a shot, because...

          BAM!!! The files open just like that now!!! I followed the directions
          in the link for "network drive mapping", and BAM!!! I'm able to open
          files from both computers browsing through the newly created Network
          Drives with no delay at all! The old method of using My Network
          Places is still like pouring molasses.

          I redid the "copy name" experiment you suggested, and you can see the
          results:

          SHARED file path
          \\V-central\my documents\DELUNA_verna\Working Files\Arts.txt

          MAPPED file path
          V:\DELUNA_verna\Working Files\Arts.txt

          You are my heroes! This made all the difference in the world, and
          will allow me to keep using the power of NTP for the massive project
          I'm involved in!

          I'm confident this solution will stick, because this time it isn't
          just working by chance, but rather by using a method designed for
          working in a networked environment.

          Thank you, thank you, and thank you again!!!
          Corl

          PS everyone
          48 messages to resolution since Dec, I guess that perseverance really
          does pays off. Thank you all for your patience and input.

          > I didn't know anything more about shared non-mapped vs shared
          mapped than
          > Jody did but googling "network drive mapped" and then reading:

          http://compnetworking.about.com/od/windowsxpnetworking/ht/mapnetworkdr
          ive.htm
          > and the result you got when you pasted the result of "copy name"
          makes me
          > think that:
          > You've got a shared but not-mapped folder.
          >

          > Regards ... Alec
          > --

        • xtx222003
          Message 4 of 23 , Aug 1, 2006
            Thanks for the confirmation Jody. Looks like Jeffery and Alec found the
            solution and it all works as it should. I look forward to using the
            latest version as well.

            Best,
            Corl

            --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, Jody <kjv-av1611@...> wrote:

            > Hi Corl,
            >
            > Yes, ntp495full.exe, is the registered program and does not need
            > a key. Yes, there have been different builds. The latest one has
            > the Check for Updates... and Poll for News features under the
            > Help menu and comes in a different installer package than
            > previous versions. I will send you download information for the
            > latest 4.95. You can also download the v5.0 Pro Trial version to
            > see if you still have the problem with it.
          • Larry Hamilton
            Message 5 of 23 , Aug 1, 2006
              Corl,

              Is V-central a server or workstation? If it is a server, it could be an
              Active-Directory issue. I do not know how to configure Active Directory,
              but if the PC is not in the correct workgroup, it can be very slow. I
              have experienced this with the software I support in my day job.

              What version of Windows is V-central? What version of Windows is your
              PC? There may be a clue there.

              The difference between the \\computername\etc. and V:\etc. is that there
              could be some sort of network configuration that is not quite right and
              makes the resolution of \\computername take longer. One way to test it
              is to click Start > Run then type \\V-Central and press Enter. If
              Explorer opens right away, then it is something to do with NoteTab. Also
              do the Start > Run and type V:\ and see if Explorer opens as fast as the
              other way. I have seen some programs that will not find a connection on
              the network, but you can ping the PC.

              You could also try the IP address of \\V-central in the run box.

              My guess would be either something with active directory, or some other
              misconfiguration on the network.

              I have also seen lightning do weird things to network cards. Over the
              years, I have experienced 5 clients having lightning strikes that do
              just enough damage to the network card on one or more PCs that all
              programs on the network work, except the one I support. Replacing the
              network card fixes the problem. If you have had a lightning strike or
              other major power surge, swapping out a network card may help.

              HTH,

              Larry Hamilton
              Kairos Computer Solutions
              http://www.kairoscomputers.com/
              Sales Affiliate for Grisoft Anti-Virus

              xtx222003 wrote:
              > Jeffery thanks for that fantastic question! Alec thank you for
              > googling it down (sometime I forget how much one can learn from
              > a simple search), it was worth more than a shot, because...
              >
              > BAM!!! The files open just like that now!!! I followed the directions
              > in the link for "network drive mapping", and BAM!!! I'm able to open
              > files from both computers browsing through the newly created Network
              > Drives with no delay at all! The old method of using My Network
              > Places is still like pouring molasses.
              >
              > I redid the "copy name" experiment you suggested, and you can see the
              > results:
              >
              > SHARED file path
              > \\V-central\my documents\DELUNA_verna\Working Files\Arts.txt
              >
              > MAPPED file path
              > V:\DELUNA_verna\Working Files\Arts.txt
            • Alan_C
              Message 6 of 23 , Aug 1, 2006
                On Tuesday 01 August 2006 15:21, xtx222003 wrote:
                [ . . ]
                > BAM!!! The files open just like that now!!! I followed the directions
                > in the link for "network drive mapping", and BAM!!! I'm able to open
                > files from both computers browsing through the newly created Network
                > Drives with no delay at all! The old method of using My Network
                > Places is still like pouring molasses.

                I've a Samba share (on a Linux file server). Somehow it just works better
                when in Win 2K on the network when the drive/Samba_share is mapped in Win 2K.

                This is just sharing files across the network -- Notetab is not involved.

                I've also experienced with (on Linux) a virtual machine (Qemu) that guest OS
                Win 2K (running in Qemu) the Win 2K network browse (or browser) (or DOS
                command net view) would not even find the Qemu native Samba share which is
                linked into my above mentioned Samba server (network shared drive not found,
                I thought it didn't work, something broken).

                But the Qemu docs tells how to map the drive in Win and where to map such
                drive to. Did as instructed here and abra cadabra my guest OS Win 2K is now
                shares files with the Samba share (Linux box). My guess on this is that the
                Qemu developers could care less about sending out those Microsoft network
                noise (protocol(s) (is it netbios?) and chose not to do this -- thus not
                found via network browse (MS net browse *relies* on those protocols) the
                Linux way does not use protocols in that fashion like MS does. But the drive
                is there (though not anounced via MS network noise -- so just map to it and
                voilla! Qemu guest OS network share is now working!!

                So there's *something* about it the mapping a network drive/share.

                Actually, for all practical purposes, I think it makes it into (so that it
                acts just like) a local drive so that it acts like a drive on My Computer
                rather than acting like a network drive (though in reality it does remains a
                network drive).

                --
                Alan.
              • xtx222003
                Message 7 of 23 , Aug 1, 2006
                  Hi Larry,

                  These are two identical HP computers both running XP Home, networked
                  with our router.

                  Your Run tests confirms that the share \\V-Central is slow with NTP,
                  and the mapped V:\ is the winner by a landslide.

                  Thanks for confirming that I'm not crazy when I unplug everything
                  during a lightning storm.

                  Thanks,